Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Frogger
Console: Arcade
Title: Main Theme (Araiguma Rascal)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: LeviR.star

LeviR.star

4:37 for the glitched version, 0:08 for the fixed version, courtesy of Chris Cantrell from The Cutting Room Floor.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

LeviR.star

Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

XiaoMigros

Do I understand correctly that the 'fixed' version cannot be heard in-game? If so, I'm not sure how I feel about it being submitted. Regardless, I don't think first and second endings is the correct way to notate this, I would use bold text instead, above the start of each track, stating what it is. A double barline at the end of the intro would be helpful as well. For m7, the note should be above the staff to avoid the diagonal line intersecting the music.

Latios212

Quote from: XiaoMigros on July 04, 2024, 06:06:01 AMDo I understand correctly that the 'fixed' version cannot be heard in-game? If so, I'm not sure how I feel about it being submitted. Regardless, I don't think first and second endings is the correct way to notate this, I would use bold text instead, above the start of each track, stating what it is. A double barline at the end of the intro would be helpful as well. For m7, the note should be above the staff to avoid the diagonal line intersecting the music.
If I understand the performer's note correctly, the in game version exists due to a programming error, and that the "fixed" version is actually the intended version of the music right? If this is the case, I have no problem with this. Real quick, how do we know what is "intended"? Is it the resemblance to the piece that this is based off of?

Agree with Xiao above on notating the form though. Additionally, I would suggest considering moving the performer's note to somewhere on the first page so they have a chance to read it and understand the form before starting to play through it as written.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Apologies for the wait on this; as I was the one who bumped the topic, I feel it was less than responsible of me to take over a week to respond to the feedback.

Quote from: XiaoMigros on July 04, 2024, 06:06:01 AMDo I understand correctly that the 'fixed' version cannot be heard in-game? If so, I'm not sure how I feel about it being submitted.
Quote from: Latios212 on July 04, 2024, 08:27:21 AMIf I understand the performer's note correctly, the in game version exists due to a programming error, and that the "fixed" version is actually the intended version of the music right? If this is the case, I have no problem with this. Real quick, how do we know what is "intended"? Is it the resemblance to the piece that this is based off of?

That's right. Left unmodified, only a fifth of the song's melody is on-beat (the error becomes noticeable around m. 10 & 11) and nearly half of the bass line is cut off. The material that was previously unheard has always been in the original Frogger code, and Chris from The Cutting Room Floor explained to me that restoring it was a relatively simple fix. I recognized the importance of including the "glitched" version everyone has come to know for this sheet, but with all due respect, I cannot in good conscience omit what was essentially lost media until a year ago.

Quote from: XiaoMigros on July 04, 2024, 06:06:01 AMRegardless, I don't think first and second endings is the correct way to notate this, I would use bold text instead, above the start of each track, stating what it is. A double barline at the end of the intro would be helpful as well. For m7, the note should be above the staff to avoid the diagonal line intersecting the music.

Can do, I hope that looks better.

Quote from: Latios212 on July 04, 2024, 08:27:21 AMAdditionally, I would suggest considering moving the performer's note to somewhere on the first page so they have a chance to read it and understand the form before starting to play through it as written.

This, however, I'm not sure I can pull off. In addition to citing Chris's contribution towards our preservation efforts, I tried to explain everything in the performance note while staying as concise as possible, and since there wasn't enough room within the margins on the first page, I took advantage of the empty space on the second. As a result, I cannot fit the note anywhere else besides the third page, and that's less than ideal.

Everything else has been updated in the sheet, let me know what you two think.

goldenscruff

Did you ever think about including a bar of 7/8 either in m7 or m14 or m18, as especially m19-26 is hard to play "half a beat early".

LeviR.star

Quote from: goldenscruff on July 15, 2024, 04:36:12 AMDid you ever think about including a bar of 7/8 either in m7 or m14 or m18, as especially m19-26 is hard to play "half a beat early".

I hadn't, but changing singular bars from 4/4 to 7/8 doesn't account for the offset between the melody and the bassline, all it does it shift the problem down to the left hand. In my opinion, the up-down ostinato does a fine job of establishing where the beat is, and that there's no need to overthink it once there's only one hand playing (should they even decide to perform the glitched version over the restoration).