News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

[GBA] Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - "Chapel" (Replacement) by Atcero

Started by Zeta, January 09, 2024, 07:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Castlevania
Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Console: Game Boy Advance
Title: Chapel
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Atcero

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

Atcero

Oh boi its replacement time, and this one comes with 20% less hand breakage.

I am heavily considering however adding a "pedal as needed" performance note, but if thats considered unnecessary and just to leave the whole notes and people can release as needed thats fine too with me.

Quote from: Dudeman"When Atcero and Dudeman are busy whooping Maelstrom's ass, Alfonzo mans the Spirit Train."

Spoiler
[close]

Bloop

-You could consider putting the piece in C minor (3 flats), though there's admittedly a lot of modulating going on that isn't actually part of C minor. It's usually only for a duration of like 4 bars, so I wouldn't suggest changing keys every time at least. Regardless of the key signature though:
-m17-20 should all be written in flats, except for the Fn's (so the Bn's should be Cb's). This part is in Ab minor (or technically dorian, because Ab minor would have an Fb too). You could write it as G# minor too, which would mean writing everything in sharps, Bn's will stay Bn's, but the Fn's should be E#'s then.
-m3 and 4: I hear two 8th note C's in the L.H. on beat 3 too, instead of just a quarter note
-m29: All F's in the L.H. should be G's. Also, make sure the R.H. A# is written like Bb (G minor chord)
-m30: The G#'s in both hands should be Ab's (the flattened 9th in a G major chord, G7b9 to be exact: stacking thirds will give G, B, D, F, Ab)

Quote from: Atcero on January 09, 2024, 07:01:52 PMI am heavily considering however adding a "pedal as needed" performance note, but if thats considered unnecessary and just to leave the whole notes and people can release as needed thats fine too with me.
I think adding a performance note for the pedal is fine! For m9-24 especially, the L.H. arpeggio part is quite hard to play with the L.H. alone, but per measure there's some room for the R.H. to fill in and give the L.H. time to change positions. If you want, I/we could figure out per measure which notes will be in the R.H. and which in the L.H. (which will require some cross-staffing shenanigans), or you could leave it all up to the player to figure out for themselves. It depends on who you want to burden with the time spent on figuring it out, haha.
With distributing it between L.H. and R.H., you can also decide to put some L.H. notes from m25 on in the R.H., which will allow you to keep the repeated bass note in the same low octave in m31-34 (though admittedly for m34-35 we'll have to figure out how to keep the D-G-C in the R.H. held down without putting both bars in one pedal)

Atcero

Believe I got that all changed minus the left hand/cross staving. I'll save that for later unless we think it is fine for it. Thank ya!
Quote from: Dudeman"When Atcero and Dudeman are busy whooping Maelstrom's ass, Alfonzo mans the Spirit Train."

Spoiler
[close]

Bloop

The pdf seems to still be outdated, but going from the .mus:
In m17-20, most triplets happen to be beamed together, is that a notepad thingy? Also, there are still some lingering Bn's that should be Cb's, and the F#'s in the second layer in m18 an 20 should be Gb's too. These two still aren't adressed either:
Quote from: Bloop on January 20, 2024, 11:28:33 AM-m29: All F's in the L.H. should be G's. Also, make sure the R.H. A# is written like Bb (G minor chord)
-m30: The G#'s in both hands should be Ab's (the flattened 9th in a G major chord, G7b9 to be exact: stacking thirds will give G, B, D, F, Ab)

Atcero

Thought I got those, fixed now thank you! Looks like finale did this thing where I edited the notes it merged all the triplets for some reason, so got all them fixed.

Spoiler
[close]

Bloop

There are still a couple of Bn's in the m19 L.H. that should be a Cb's, and the bottom Gb in m20 should be a dotted whole note Fn right?
This one still needs to be fixed:
And I see a Gb in m34 that should be an F#, I thought that wasn't there before?

Atcero

Got that all updated, sorry for the wait! It seems like m19 was supposed to be the Fn and then the m20 Gb from my original file.

Spoiler
[close]

Bloop

Fixed a couple of last things + formatting and got the approval over discord, so I updated the files and will approve!

XiaoMigros

The notes look good to me! I think the pitches are all correct, nice work you both!

• Pedal performance note: I don't think a note is warranted here, you can write 'pedal ad lib.' or ped. ad lib. and add it to the LH, con pedale style
  • m9+: I think the RH could play octaves here, to get a more full sound out of the piano. I also think that the low LH notes should be moved up an octave when they're further than an octave away from the upper note.
  • m34: Is there a reason you left out the low C in the RH chord here?

Latios212

One passing comment as I peek in here: this is more common in classical music I believe but if you want you could hide all the triplet 3s after the first few measures since the rhythm is super clear and should be readily understood by the performer.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Atcero

Spoiler
[close]

XiaoMigros

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by XiaoMigros.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot