Submission Information:

Series: Dragon Quest
Game: Dragon Quest
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Miscellaneous Short Themes
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: LeviR.star

LeviR.star

I've gone through the trouble of compiling together the short themes into my own YouTube upload, as well as ordering them as they appear in my arrangement for your convenience; I hope this makes things easier for the updaters.

Only recently did I remember how close we are to finishing Dragon Quest on the site; such an iconic game deserves completion. So as with many games, the dreaded short themes collection sheet is upon us. But don't worry! There's not that many. I'd like to make note of a few things before we start:

- the tracks written as a cadenza have no strict tempo notated, they only have accelerando and ritardando markings to serve as guidance. I have painstakingly recreated the original tempo shifts note by note for the sake of the playback, but I will not expect the performer to play as fast as the MIDI
- I am open to discussing any issues with cross-staves; right now I don't have any concerns about "Rainbow Bridge" but I wouldn't be surprised if "Silver Harp" isn't quite up-to-standard yet. I did get some help from Latios on this though, so if it comes down to it I'd be happy to hear his input again
- so Nintendo did have a hand in publishing the game, but only in North America. Do I still need to include them in the copyright info?
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Fantastic Ike

Bloop

-Cast Spell: Maybe you could write the D# and F# as Eb and Gb?
-Princess Gwaelin: Did you leave out the R.H. E in m2 on beat 6.5 for playability? You could add it in an octave higher than the original as a run up to the A in m3
-Silver Harp: Damn that arpeggio is annoying to figure out how to play cross hands easily lol
I think I'd do something like this:
You cannot view this attachment.
My goal was to have the same cross-staffing for the same pattern, so that it's easier to repeat instead of having to practice different kinds of cross-staffing. However, the first pattern (before the low G) is a bit of a pain to work with, since your hands just get in the way of each other. The part starting from the low G I'm pretty confident in though.
-Game Over: The mordent in the second measure should have a little sharp symbol underneath (like here, as it technically is currently playing A-G-A instead of A-G#-A

LeviR.star

Quote from: Bloop on January 11, 2024, 12:06:21 PM-Cast Spell: Maybe you could write the D# and F# as Eb and Gb?
-Princess Gwaelin: Did you leave out the R.H. E in m2 on beat 6.5 for playability? You could add it in an octave higher than the original as a run up to the A in m3
-Silver Harp: Damn that arpeggio is annoying to figure out how to play cross hands easily lol
I think I'd do something like this:
You cannot view this attachment.
My goal was to have the same cross-staffing for the same pattern, so that it's easier to repeat instead of having to practice different kinds of cross-staffing. However, the first pattern (before the low G) is a bit of a pain to work with, since your hands just get in the way of each other. The part starting from the low G I'm pretty confident in though.
-Game Over: The mordent in the second measure should have a little sharp symbol underneath (like here, as it technically is currently playing A-G-A instead of A-G#-A

- sure, no problem-o. Could you explain the theory behind it though, please?
- yes, I wasn't sure it would be feasible with that note intact. I'll use the E up the octave in that case
- sounds good to me, I can change the beams to look like that. Whatever works best, we can work our way towards a consensus
- I don't know why the playback worked without the sharp. I remember second-guessing myself on it while working on the arrangement, but now that I know it's necessary I'll put it in

Files are updated, thank you Bloop.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Bloop

Quote from: LeviR.star on January 11, 2024, 08:10:56 PM- sure, no problem-o. Could you explain the theory behind it though, please?
My main thinking was that it looks a bit more intuitive to have a run of three notes have three different note names as well, so (without accidentals) E F G instead of D F F. D# E# F# would've worked as well, but since F reads a bit easier I went with Eb F Gb.

Looks all good, so I'll approve

Latios212

Quote from: LeviR.star on January 06, 2024, 07:57:03 PMI've gone through the trouble of compiling together the short themes into my own YouTube upload, as well as ordering them as they appear in my arrangement for your convenience; I hope this makes things easier for the updaters.
It does, thanks :)

Quote from: LeviR.star on January 06, 2024, 07:57:03 PM- so Nintendo did have a hand in publishing the game, but only in North America. Do I still need to include them in the copyright info?
From my quick skim of Wikipedia it looks like Nintendo played a hand in localizing it for NA several years later, so I would say it's not required as they were not part of the original release (which I assume contains all the music).

Everything's pretty solid, not much to add since we discussed cross-staffing separately previously! Just one question about Faerie Flute: any reason the run is notated as a 6-tuplet+7-tuplet instead of one continuous run? I can't easily tell if they're not a consistent speed in the original. (It had also crossed my mind to simply write this as a glissando, but I think the specificity of the notes works better here)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on January 15, 2024, 12:19:21 PMFrom my quick skim of Wikipedia it looks like Nintendo played a hand in localizing it for NA several years later, so I would say it's not required as they were not part of the original release (which I assume contains all the music).

Gotcha. Does that mean we will have to make edits to the on-site sheets to reflect this?

Quote from: Latios212 on January 15, 2024, 12:19:21 PMEverything's pretty solid, not much to add since we discussed cross-staffing separately previously! Just one question about Faerie Flute: any reason the run is notated as a 6-tuplet+7-tuplet instead of one continuous run? I can't easily tell if they're not a consistent speed in the original. (It had also crossed my mind to simply write this as a glissando, but I think the specificity of the notes works better here)

The answer to this may not be one you had expected! I did this to make it more obvious where the 8va begins; might there be a more concise way to notate this without splitting it into two different tuplets? Would it work just as easily as one continuous trideca-tuplet (13 notes)?

EDIT: Something I had been thinking of, should this clef be moved down to the next system?

Latios212

Quote from: LeviR.star on January 15, 2024, 06:57:59 PMGotcha. Does that mean we will have to make edits to the on-site sheets to reflect this?
Eh, we could, but I wouldn't say it's necessary.

Quote from: LeviR.star on January 15, 2024, 06:57:59 PMThe answer to this may not be one you had expected! I did this to make it more obvious where the 8va begins; might there be a more concise way to notate this without splitting it into two different tuplets? Would it work just as easily as one continuous trideca-tuplet (13 notes)?
Ah, I see. I think the vertical jump between the F and the G is a pretty clear indicator that that's where the 8va starts. So I think it'd be simplest and clearest as one continuous run!

Quote from: LeviR.star on January 15, 2024, 06:57:59 PMEDIT: Something I had been thinking of, should this clef be moved down to the next system?

Ah yes, I think that'd be good!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on January 20, 2024, 12:44:41 PMEh, we could, but I wouldn't say it's necessary.

Ok, I will leave Nintendo off of this sheet for now.

Quote from: Latios212 on January 20, 2024, 12:44:41 PMAh, I see. I think the vertical jump between the F and the G is a pretty clear indicator that that's where the 8va starts. So I think it'd be simplest and clearest as one continuous run!

You got it, one continuous run it is!

Quote from: Latios212 on January 20, 2024, 12:44:41 PMAh yes, I think that'd be good!

Works for me. How does that look? (Files are updated)

XiaoMigros

Just popping in to say that this sheet doesn't seem to be using the Maestro music font; to change that you can go to document->data check-> font utilities and replace all instances of 'EngraverFontSet' with Maestro. Same goes for your other submission

LeviR.star

Quote from: XiaoMigros on January 21, 2024, 08:45:24 PMJust popping in to say that this sheet doesn't seem to be using the Maestro music font; to change that you can go to document->data check-> font utilities and replace all instances of 'EngraverFontSet' with Maestro. Same goes for your other submission

Huh, I thought it was all ready to go; I had updated the tempo marking(s) to reflect the new style guide just as I had done with last round's submissions. Are those outdated now, too?

In any case, both of the sheets' music fonts for this round are now set to Maestro. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot