News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

TWG CXVIII: Noughts and Crosses

Started by Oricorio, November 05, 2023, 06:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpecsFlyer17

Okay, so you're basically saying it's better to play for the TTT draw but be in the drivers seat the whole game, opposed to take a chance at beating the wolves in TTT, but be forced to make specific move on D3.
Current Breathing Mode: MANUAL

Toby

Quote from: SpecsFlyer17 on November 06, 2023, 08:11:57 AMOkay, so you're basically saying it's better to play for the TTT draw but be in the drivers seat the whole game, opposed to take a chance at beating the wolves in TTT, but be forced to make specific move on D3.

Yeah because we can only win TTT if we hit a wolf along the way, and if we play corner we have a projected path

Also we have given the wolves a video tutorial on how to defend corner play so we won't beat them at TTT lol

SpecsFlyer17

Quote from: Toby on November 06, 2023, 08:15:16 AMAlso we have given the wolves a video tutorial on how to defend corner play so we won't beat them at TTT lol
Buffington helping out the wolves lol

A# Minor

why do you guys have to be so active while i'm sleeping??
hey! listen!! ⬆️

haha get drowned
[close]

I unintentionally set an avatar that matches my custom title (Termina Tango) and now I don't want to post

Toby

Quote from: A# Minor on November 06, 2023, 08:57:30 AMwhy do you guys have to be so active while i'm sleeping??

What's your thoughts about first square placement

Toby

Quote from: SpecsFlyer17 on November 05, 2023, 09:31:08 PMSo the more I think about things, the more I see a victory from TTT being pretty unlikely.

Specs I find it odd that after counting the mislynches needed you realised that a TTT victory was unlikely, however

Quote from: SpecsFlyer17 on November 06, 2023, 07:16:54 AMOn the contrary to that, if we play corner and wolves play center, we do have flexible options.

If they don't play corner (and commit to 3 mislynches), we also gain information about where they decided to play: a side, opposite corner, or adjacent corner. Each scenario forces a different optimal play, and we can use that information.

When you found out the optimal strategy in TTT was playing corners, and thus would ensure your survival until end game as you are a side, you were open again to playing strategy despite the fact it's very unlikely to win the game via TTT if strategy is played on both sides. Also odd considering you linked a literal how to guide for the wolves to see how to counter play any strategy.

Does this mean you and BDS are the wolves and you want to play corner strategy and ensure you two survive until end game

SpecsFlyer17

No, Im just running through the possibilities and trying to figure out which option is better.

I've been back and forth about the strategy, especially considering if Math is a wolf then playing the corner strategy pins the wolves, since choosing the center would lose them the TTT game. They'd have to rely on 3 mislynches.

XiaoMigros

to be fair, I don't see a huge difference between playing corner and center, if the wolves respond with center to our corner. The whole rest of the game is basically just dictated by what the previous team did last time, save for the 3rd overall move, at which point we probably won't know enough to make the right decision for certain

SpecsFlyer17

Quote from: XiaoMigros on November 06, 2023, 10:01:46 AMsave for the 3rd overall move

I think that's the point though, playing middle on turn 1 puts the town in the drivers seat the entire time, even if it's just to a draw.

Playing corner on turn 1 could potentially pin the wolves is Math is a wolf, but if they play middle on N1, we will have to play defense on our 3rd turn.

XiaoMigros

SpecsFlyer17

If we go middle, we essentially control the play, even if it will result in a tie. We can force play on one side of the board and get specific people wolfed during the nights. However, we do commit to not winning TTT, which seems fine given its a solved game.

If we go corner, things are much more scripted. The optimal strategy would say the wolves kill the center, which then forces us to play defense for our 3rd turn, although we could potentially tailor it to one side of the board, depending on where we play turn 2. If they don't take the middle, Math could be a wolf, or it could be a ploy to get us to mislynch 3 times. At any point, we could abandon the strategy and play for a tie in order to force the wolves to kill someone specific at night.

Toby

Seems like musical poet and math are still to post

I'll start the votes with

mathguy

Toby

Math guys profile shows he has been online so I wonder if he's trying to adopt his wolf strategy from last game and keep quiet when under pressure lol

The Musical Poet

I like making terrible titles for my schoolwork, but I never follow through.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: A# Minor on November 06, 2023, 08:57:30 AMwhy do you guys have to be so active while i'm sleeping??
why are you not twg'ing while sleeping

Quote from: Toby on November 06, 2023, 09:43:38 AMDoes this mean you and BDS are the wolves and you want to play corner strategy and ensure you two survive until end game
I've been dubious of the corner strat ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote from: The Musical Poet on November 06, 2023, 04:14:47 PMbruh when did the game start
November 05, 2023, 06:00:04 PM Pacific Time

I wanna hear more from Poet and A# especially, as well as mathguy himself of course. If he's human, now's the best time to hear his thoughts, even if we are planning to go through with lynching him for the center square.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber