News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

TWG CXVIII: Noughts and Crosses

Started by Oricorio, November 05, 2023, 06:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oricorio

TWG CXVIII: Noughts and Crosses

Wolves
1. Wolf
2. Wolf

Humans
3. Innocent Child -- Confirmed human at start of game
4. Human
5. Human
6. Human
7. Human
8. Human
9. Human

Setup
- The game will be played on a 3x3 board, with each player occupying a space.
- When town lynches a player, they will be replaced by an X on the board, while when wolves kill a player, they are replaced by an O.
- Victory can be achieved either through the standard win conditions (town by lynching all wolves, wolves at parity with town) or by getting three of a faction's symbols in a row.
- Cardflips are off, and OC is allowed (but the host must be included in all OC conversations). The game will have a day start, however.

-----------------

The Players
1. A# Minor
2. XiaoMigros
3. TheZeldaPianist275
4. ThatHiddenCharacter (Innocent Child)
5. SpecsFlyer17
6. BlackDragonSlayer
7. The Musical Poet
8. threalmathguy
9. Toby

Subs
1. davy
2. Olimar12345

Current board:
TheZeldaPianist275XA# Minor
OXX
The Musical PoetOO

Oricorio

Board at start of game (the one in the OP will be updated as the game goes on):

TheZeldaPianist275BlackDragonSlayerA# Minor
ThatHiddenCharacter (IC)threalmathguySpecsFlyer17
The Musical PoetTobyXiaoMigros

Also a reminder that ThatHiddenCharacter is Innocent Child and thus is confirmed human!

With that, D1 begins and ends in 48 hours at 9:00 PM on the 7th of November!

BlackDragonSlayer

I, for one, am looking forward to TWG tac toe.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

BlackDragonSlayer

The biggest question right now is whether we want to deliberately go for a tic tac toe win, an incidental tic tac toe win (i.e. play normally unless we see a good opening), or primarily ignore the board unless a wolf victory via tic tac toe seems likely.

If the first option, then the center space is one of the most pivotal (as anyone who's played tic tac toe may know :P). If mathguy is a human, then there's a good chance he may be wolfed if he isn't lynched today.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

BlackDragonSlayer

Assuming we lynch at every opportunity, we have three lynches to work with if we don't hit a wolf, and four if we do hit a wolf. That may factor into our plans.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

TheZeldaPianist275

All hail King THC

In addition to what BDS brought up, something I think we should discuss before the game gets really underway is how in-depth we want to discuss tic-tac-toe strategy in the thread. Not that tic-tac-toe is a complicated game—it's solved, which means that every possible permutation of tic-tac-toe games has been run. So it's not like the wolves can't look up strategy on the side even if we don't discuss it in the thread, and there's not much room to get creative with tic-tac-toe plays anyway. That said, I don't want to start openly discussing strategy if the consensus is that it will help the wolf team. Thoughts?

SpecsFlyer17

It takes about 5 minutes to read an article or watch a video to learn optimal TTT strategy. I feel that it's better to discuss the strategy to avoid making an obvious blunder that would result in a wolf win via TTT.

Since its a day start, the town has the advantage for TTT. Without discussing too much (lets hear some other opinions on the matter first), the town plays optimal TTT strategy, we can't lose via TTT. There are other variables, mainly suspicious players that are subject to being lynched. However, if we play optimal TTT strategy, the wolves can't win via TTT since they play second.
Current Breathing Mode: MANUAL

SpecsFlyer17

Quote from: SpecsFlyer17 on November 05, 2023, 08:28:39 PMIt takes about 5 minutes to read an article or watch a video to learn optimal TTT strategy. I feel that it's better to discuss the strategy to avoid making an obvious blunder that would result in a wolf win via TTT.

Since its a day start, the town has the advantage for TTT. Without discussing too much (lets hear some other opinions on the matter first), the town plays optimal TTT strategy, we can't lose via TTT. There are other variables, mainly suspicious players that are subject to being lynched. However, if we play optimal TTT strategy, the wolves can't win via TTT since they play second.

Should read "if the town plays optimal TTT strategy...."

SpecsFlyer17

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on November 05, 2023, 06:06:45 PMThe biggest question right now is whether we want to deliberately go for a tic tac toe win, an incidental tic tac toe win (i.e. play normally unless we see a good opening), or primarily ignore the board unless a wolf victory via tic tac toe seems likely.

If the first option, then the center space is one of the most pivotal (as anyone who's played tic tac toe may know :P). If mathguy is a human, then there's a good chance he may be wolfed if he isn't lynched today.

I say we play optimal strategy, but keep normal TWG suspicions in mind. As the game progresses, it may be worth deviating from optimal strategy to catch a wolf that appears suspicious. But for now, I think avoiding an early TTT blunder is the wise play.

SpecsFlyer17

TWG QUESTION

Oricorio, what happens if the town meets one win condition while simultaneously the wolves meet the other?

Example, the town lynches a human to reach the parity condition, but that human getting an X on the board won TTT?

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: SpecsFlyer17 on November 05, 2023, 08:28:39 PMIt takes about 5 minutes to read an article or watch a video to learn optimal TTT strategy. I feel that it's better to discuss the strategy to avoid making an obvious blunder that would result in a wolf win via TTT.

If you're aware of one of these videos, might be a good idea to link it for those curious :P

I generally agree though; I'm not sure if there's anything that can be discussed publicly that would be disadvantageous to share. If anything, having everyone on the same level of awareness is better for the humans so the wolves don't try to take advantage of the lynch to force a sub-optimal lynch.

Quote from: SpecsFlyer17 on November 05, 2023, 08:39:15 PMI say we play optimal strategy, but keep normal TWG suspicions in mind. As the game progresses, it may be worth deviating from optimal strategy to catch a wolf that appears suspicious. But for now, I think avoiding an early TTT blunder is the wise play.
Makes sense.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Oricorio

Quote from: SpecsFlyer17 on November 05, 2023, 08:44:28 PMTWG QUESTION

Oricorio, what happens if the town meets one win condition while simultaneously the wolves meet the other?

Example, the town lynches a human to reach the parity condition, but that human getting an X on the board won TTT?

The board takes priority. In that scenario, it would be a town victory.

SpecsFlyer17

Something else I thought of.

TTT will take at least 5 turns to win. If the Os don't even try, it will take 5 turns to win. If the Os make a mistake, it will usually take 7 turns.

3 mislynchs and 2 wolfings will result in a parity victory for the wolves. That's 5 turns. If we lynch correctly, it would take 7 turns to reach parity with one wolf.

So the more I think about things, the more I see a victory from TTT being pretty unlikely.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? Am I missing something obvious?

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Oricorio on November 05, 2023, 09:23:21 PMThe board takes priority. In that scenario, it would be a town victory.
Given that information, we should definitely play to at least be certain of avoiding a wolf TTT victory.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

A# Minor

haha i didnt forget

right.

so i'm not too sure what should be done about the tic tac toe thing tbh. i wouldn't want to focus on lynching random people just to make a line, especially considering how long that'll take and that the wolves are just gonna mess it all up. like, we should definitely keep it in mind, but we shouldn't base every single lynch on that. we wouldn't want to let the wolves win tho

apologies if that made no sense, i'm not really here right now haha

ninja'd
hey! listen!! ⬆️

haha get drowned
[close]

I unintentionally set an avatar that matches my custom title (Termina Tango) and now I don't want to post