TWG CXVII: The Lantern Keeper Redux

Started by TheZeldaPianist275, October 19, 2023, 05:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oricorio

Quote from: threalmathguy on October 19, 2023, 10:08:24 PMHello everyone, glad to be back

Another standard fluff intro. However, this one has the feel of "I have just arrived, let us get started" rather than "I have just read the thread, let me think of something that won't look too weird". GTH town

Oricorio

Quote from: SpecsFlyer17 on October 19, 2023, 10:04:41 PMHeyyyyy we started!

I'll be honest, I'm trying to avoid reading too deeply into these openers. "Sorry I'm late" or "Reporting for duty" just seem like innocent introductions that shouldn't be read in to.

I should expand on this, since this is less a silly attempt to read someone based onan opening post and more a legitimate ping. If you're bothered about my posts looking at other people's openers, then you've clearly read the whole thread at this point, but why just have a fluff intro and nothing more substantial? This whole thing feels planned

davy

Of course the game had to start right after I got ill. I'm going to try my best to play this game well, but if you notice I'm not playing to the best of my abilities this can explain.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow
[davy]'s in a way different time zone so basically he pops in at like 2 AM and posts 500 words and wins the game

SpecsFlyer17

You're right, it's never too early to start gathering data on people. All I'm saying is that I don't want to incriminate someone based on nothing but an introduction post. Let's see how things develop.
Current Breathing Mode: MANUAL

Oricorio

Quote from: davy on October 19, 2023, 10:44:01 PMOf course the game had to start right after I got ill. I'm going to try my best to play this game well, but if you notice I'm not playing to the best of my abilities this can explain.

Standard slank opening, however does make a commitment to some activity at least. "Not playing to the best of my abilities" seems a little preemptive, but for now GTH town

SpecsFlyer17

Quote from: davy on October 19, 2023, 10:44:01 PMOf course the game had to start right after I got ill. I'm going to try my best to play this game well, but if you notice I'm not playing to the best of my abilities this can explain.

Yeah, I'm actually in the middle of a move across the States at the moment. I'll be around in the afternoons and evenings though. Gonna be joining the eastern time zone gang soon. Hope you feel better!
Current Breathing Mode: MANUAL

Oricorio

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on October 19, 2023, 08:18:58 PMThat should say "an hour and a half" of course :P

I'm generally getting fish-out-of-water vibes from Oricorio; considering this is their first game here since 2019 (and they have played elsewhere before, in communities that are likely primarily day start and have different approaches to the game), and second game overall, that doesn't surprise me at all.

This post is a ping to me as well. Posts that read as "this is how we should treat this mafia player" tend to come from wolves far more often than not, as it is an easy way of generating "reads". In situations like this, town tends to try to engage more with the player in question.

Oricorio

Like a post from town would be more like "what communities do you play in?" and try to sort me out that way. The presumptiveness of that post is wolfy

XiaoMigros

how come? why does offering an explanation rather than open question change anything

Oricorio

Quote from: XiaoMigros on October 19, 2023, 10:57:25 PMhow come? why does offering an explanation rather than open question change anything

It demonstrates a different mindset. The latter shows a mindset of solving, while the former shows a mindset of putting people into boxes.

XiaoMigros

but not making any assumptions ever would lead to copious amounts of misinformation, when wolves lie, no?

Oricorio

Quote from: XiaoMigros on October 19, 2023, 11:19:00 PMbut not making any assumptions ever would lead to copious amounts of misinformation, when wolves lie, no?

Which is why you press them on it and judge by reactions. But a townie's foremost question is "is this person town", not "how do I need to treat this person?" If a person shows more of the latter attitude and less of the former, they're most likely a wolf

Oricorio

Like, it'd be one thing if that post tried to glean alignment or infer something based on my interactions with other players, but that post contains nothing that's solve-y

Oricorio

Current town to wolf based on who's shown up so far:

A# Minor
XiaMigros
threalmathguy
The Musical Poet
davy
SpecsFlyer17
BlackDragonSlayer

Oricorio

For why A# Minor has moved upwards, I have seen a slight but genuine progression in their posts, and they do feel more "solve-y" than most anyone else's. Their reactions to me have been natural as well; not to acquiescent, not too reactionary.