News:

Want to request some new sheets? Head on over here first!

Main Menu

[MUL] Genshin Impact - "Fragile Fantasy" by Latios212

Started by Zeta, September 26, 2023, 02:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Genshin Impact
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Fragile Fantasy
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

XiaoMigros

• Your BPM Marking is still using the engraver font, and is using the default BPM value instead of the one the track has
  • I hear swing 16ths for this track; do you think that's worth clarifying somewhere?
  • m21+: For the lower RH layer, there's a lot going on and you've done a good job highlighting the phrases that stick out most in the original. If you want though, you could try including some of the slower notes (i hear some alto range clarinets that could work nicely) to capture the warmer, fuller texture of this section compared to m15+
    I'd also be inclined to not cut the lower layer's note durations short when the upper layer plays the same note, to visually represent the slowness and consistency of the track, but that's just a personal preference of mine :)
Nice job!

Latios212

Quote from: XiaoMigros on September 27, 2023, 12:48:55 AMYour BPM Marking is still using the engraver font, and is using the default BPM value instead of the one the track has
oops

Quote from: XiaoMigros on September 27, 2023, 12:48:55 AMI'd also be inclined to not cut the lower layer's note durations short when the upper layer plays the same note, to visually represent the slowness and consistency of the track, but that's just a personal preference of mine :)
Agreed! Yeah since we've got pedal here I like filling the space out

Quote from: XiaoMigros on September 27, 2023, 12:48:55 AMI hear swing 16ths for this track; do you think that's worth clarifying somewhere?
I... I'm actually not sure. Did you think it's super noticeable? Maybe I just didn't notice since it's so laid-back...

Quote from: XiaoMigros on September 27, 2023, 12:48:55 AMm21+: For the lower RH layer, there's a lot going on and you've done a good job highlighting the phrases that stick out most in the original. If you want though, you could try including some of the slower notes (i hear some alto range clarinets that could work nicely) to capture the warmer, fuller texture of this section compared to m15+
I thought about this a bit and my initial goal for this sheet was to keep it simple with the left hand taking the harmonies and the right hand taking the melodies. I did think about this again a little bit but I think that doing so would make the right hand part a bit too cluttery, and for the most part the left hand chords are right below the countermelody. I think I might prefer to leave it as is, unless you had any specific suggestions?

Quote from: XiaoMigros on September 27, 2023, 12:48:55 AMNice job!
Thank you! Files updated~

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Latios212 on October 02, 2023, 02:54:49 PMI... I'm actually not sure. Did you think it's super noticeable? Maybe I just didn't notice since it's so laid-back...
Going straight off the Finale playback I will say that it sounds noticeably different, but in this musical context I don't think there would be all too much value in specifying. Right now I'm leaning towards not saying it but that might well change later on...

Quote from: Latios212 on October 02, 2023, 02:54:49 PMI think I might prefer to leave it as is, unless you had any specific suggestions?
The LH does occupy most of this register, but there's a few things imo that are too nice to ignore (especially that last Bb):
You cannot view this attachment.

Latios212

Apologies for the long wait! So many other things to keep me occupied...

Coming back to this again for the first time in a while, I'm good with adding in additional harmonies in the right hand. I think the top staff is rather cluttered, and most of the harmonies I'd choose to write in overlap with the left hand register (where it plays the chords on beat 2-4), so I think I'd prefer to notate these on the lower staff. I've just tried playtesting reading it and I think it's easy enough to interpret. Let me know what you think!

Also, thanks for the comment about the Bb in m. 26. I think that whole measure is Fsus4 instead of F as I had written in previously.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Quote from: XiaoMigros on October 09, 2023, 05:30:53 PMGoing straight off the Finale playback I will say that it sounds noticeably different, but in this musical context I don't think there would be all too much value in specifying. Right now I'm leaning towards not saying it but that might well change later on...

I'm inclined to agree with Xiao on designating 16th's as swung. This song kinda reminds me of Kommer Susser Todd from End of Evangelion (similar key lol), which also has swung sixteenth melody notes.

0:52 or so for comparison
[close]

One thing I feel like this arrangement doesn't quite convey from m15 to the end is the space between notes. I know Xiao said to not have different note lengths between layers, but I do think that there should be more space between the LH quarter notes - perhaps a portato would achieve that effect for the LH (as well as 2nd RH layer m27)? I'm also going to designate a few other parts I think could have symbols/rests indicating shorter lengths

• m19 RH 4.0 this sounds staccatoed
• m20 RH 2.75 and 3.75 these sound a bit short as well - maybe make 3.0 and 4.0 8th rests? Same goes for m22 and m24. Not sure if this goes against what Xiao was saying so if they or you would like to provide input that would help

Latios212

Quote from: Kricketune54 on December 30, 2023, 05:15:23 PMI'm inclined to agree with Xiao on designating 16th's as swung. This song kinda reminds me of Kommer Susser Todd from End of Evangelion (similar key lol), which also has swung sixteenth melody notes.
Alright, it shall be done then! Having adjust the playback to light swing I think it does sound better now. Thank you both for checking! (Cool song btw)

Quote from: Kricketune54 on December 30, 2023, 05:15:23 PMOne thing I feel like this arrangement doesn't quite convey from m15 to the end is the space between notes.
Yes that's a good point. I thought about this a bunch before and while writing this arrangement. The problem with making them portato / having defined cutoffs between notes is that using the pedal obscures that. If the accompaniment was written similar to m. 27 I would be inclined to mark it that way. But I decided for this piece that I wanted to sustain the bass strike on beat 1 to allow the left hand to hit the chords in the mid range. This has the side effect of needing to pedal through the measure but I think it is better overall to give the piece a warmer feeling. Let me know if that makes sense!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

That makes sense to me. If not for the bass notes and them needing to be sustained, you could mark senza pedale at m15 and then add the symbols I outlined for those more defined cutoffs, but I think that's probably just one alternative way to interpret/arrange this song compared to what you have done, so I have no problem approving!

XiaoMigros

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

XiaoMigros

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by XiaoMigros.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot