News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

[SNES] Kirby Super Star - "Hilltop Chase" by LeviR.star

Started by Zeta, September 26, 2023, 05:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Kirby
Game: Kirby Super Star
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Hilltop Chase
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: LeviR.star

LeviR.star

Not much to say about this one :-\ It's too bad you can't possibly hear m. 29 and onwards during the actual game, what with the course being too short and all

EDIT: Posting this here to remind myself to update the tempo marking according to the new guidelines~
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Kricketune54

Sorry for a bit of wait on this. I've been meaning to leave feedback but haven't had a chance till now to check whole arrangement/song.
• accidentals for m18 I think makes a bit more sense written in Gb major, not F#.
• Overall I think you did a great job with the LH incorporating the second half beat rhythms -  I just think for m32 LH 2.5 the top note is a little closer to actual chord as a C instead of Bb. Lmk what you think.
• Thoughts on m48 LH 4.0 being a staccato and an accent? I think it's a little shorter than full quarter length.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Kricketune54 on November 12, 2023, 03:34:39 PM• accidentals for m18 I think makes a bit more sense written in Gb major, not F#.
• Overall I think you did a great job with the LH incorporating the second half beat rhythms -  I just think for m32 LH 2.5 the top note is a little closer to actual chord as a C instead of Bb. Lmk what you think.
• Thoughts on m48 LH 4.0 being a staccato and an accent? I think it's a little shorter than full quarter length.

- I agree, thank you for pointing that out
- I trust you're hearing the chord better than I am, so sure, I can change that
- the timpani sounds sustained through the end of the beat to me, but the same effect isn't really achieved on the piano so I'll add a staccato marking

Files are updated; thank you, Kricketune.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Kricketune54

Quote from: LeviR.star on November 16, 2023, 08:35:51 PM- I trust you're hearing the chord better than I am, so sure, I can change that

I'm hearing this as a C major chord on beat 2.5, in addition to hearing a Gn anyway.

I having nothing else to comment on though, and will approve Gourmet Race Hilltop Chase!

Bloop

-m20: Maybe you could write Bb instead of C in the off-beat chords?
-m28: Maybe you could notate the Eb in the L.H. on beat 2 as D#, as a sort-of leading tone to En?
-m47: Instead of a quintuplet I only hear 16ths G-F-G-Bb on beat 3 in the R.H.
-I actually haven't seen a "To Coda" layout without a D.S./D.C. al Coda before, I don't know if that's a thing that happens more often? Instead of repeat signs at m5 and m28, you could do a segno at m5 and a D.S. al Coda at m28 too.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Bloop on December 23, 2023, 07:30:45 AM-m20: Maybe you could write Bb instead of C in the off-beat chords?
-m28: Maybe you could notate the Eb in the L.H. on beat 2 as D#, as a sort-of leading tone to En?
-m47: Instead of a quintuplet I only hear 16ths G-F-G-Bb on beat 3 in the R.H.
-I actually haven't seen a "To Coda" layout without a D.S./D.C. al Coda before, I don't know if that's a thing that happens more often? Instead of repeat signs at m5 and m28, you could do a segno at m5 and a D.S. al Coda at m28 too.

- sounds good to me. Did you want me to do the same with m. 32's beat 4.5 in the LH?
- I don't see why not. Fixed
- upon listening to it again, I still don't agree :-\ I'm using the bass's rhythm as a reference and don't hear the melody notes lining up with the sixteenths. I hear five notes within the span of that beat, and they're all the same length
- that sounds like it would be less confusing than what I have written currently; I'll change that

Files are updated. Thank you, Bloop, let me know what you think on the third point ^^

Bloop

Quote from: LeviR.star on December 31, 2023, 12:26:42 PM- sounds good to me. Did you want me to do the same with m. 32's beat 4.5 in the LH?
You could if you want but not necessarily, I heard the Bb more prominently in m20, but since I assume you weren't going for a fully true-to-original transcription in m32 and there's already some Bb's in the bar, it's less needed there.

Quote from: LeviR.star on December 31, 2023, 12:26:42 PM- upon listening to it again, I still don't agree :-\ I'm using the bass's rhythm as a reference and don't hear the melody notes lining up with the sixteenths. I hear five notes within the span of that beat, and they're all the same length
At 0.25 speed I do hear the G and Bb line up with the bass, maybe the G starts a slight bit later on beat 3, but I hear the F before that before beat 3. It's also easier to play the 16ths over this bass pattern rather than a quintuplet :p But if you still clearly hear it as a quintuplet, I suppose the difference isn't that big at this speed.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Bloop on January 02, 2024, 06:34:03 AMAt 0.25 speed I do hear the G and Bb line up with the bass, maybe the G starts a slight bit later on beat 3, but I hear the F before that before beat 3. It's also easier to play the 16ths over this bass pattern rather than a quintuplet :p But if you still clearly hear it as a quintuplet, I suppose the difference isn't that big at this speed.

Can I possibly get a second updater's opinion on this before I make a decision?

Latios212

At this speed, it hardly makes a difference performing-wise. I also can't really say for sure either way because the last one or two notes sound like they line up but the beginning doesn't.

Instead, I'll consider this from a different angle. Does it make more sense to put an F or a G on beat 3? If we write in a G, that implies to me that it's supposed to be strict in time as the melody note is changing and we have straight 16ths. Conversely, the quintuplet beginning on F has the implication that the trill of unspecified tempo is continuing into beat 3, which more matches what I feel when listening to the piece.

So, my preference would be to keep it as is!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Bloop on January 02, 2024, 06:34:03 AMYou could if you want but not necessarily, I heard the Bb more prominently in m20, but since I assume you weren't going for a fully true-to-original transcription in m32 and there's already some Bb's in the bar, it's less needed there.

Back to this, if you don't feel it's necessary to change it then I'll keep it that way.

Quote from: Latios212 on January 04, 2024, 07:51:32 PMAt this speed, it hardly makes a difference performing-wise. I also can't really say for sure either way because the last one or two notes sound like they line up but the beginning doesn't.

Instead, I'll consider this from a different angle. Does it make more sense to put an F or a G on beat 3? If we write in a G, that implies to me that it's supposed to be strict in time as the melody note is changing and we have straight 16ths. Conversely, the quintuplet beginning on F has the implication that the trill of unspecified tempo is continuing into beat 3, which more matches what I feel when listening to the piece.

So, my preference would be to keep it as is!

That makes sense to me! Thank you for your input, Latios, it's much appreciated.

So in that case it sounds like the files are already up-to-date. Thanks, both of you!

Bloop

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bloop.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot