Series: Other
Game: DuckTales
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Himalayas
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Fullmetalgrudo

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

XiaoMigros

Hello, and welcome to NinSheetMusic! When submitting a sheet, it's helpful to provide a link to what you arranged, like so:

It seems like you based your arrangement off the existing one, for which youll need permission to replace from the original arranger.
Do you think you could either:
1) get that permission (might not be possible)
2) make an arrangement on your own?

Sorry for any previous confusion, would be great to get this sheet up to scratch!

XiaoMigros

As for some more general advice:
  • Double-check all the rhythms in your sheet with this guide, to make sure they are written correctly
  • Same goes for accidentals, for which this guide might help
If you have any questions or would appreciate more detailed feedback, let me know!

Fullmetalgrudo

Quote from: XiaoMigros on September 18, 2023, 12:39:57 PMHello, and welcome to NinSheetMusic! When submitting a sheet, it's helpful to provide a link to what you arranged

Sorry, I just used the NSM panel, as explained in the submission guide... I had to create a post in this topic?

Quote from: XiaoMigros on September 18, 2023, 02:33:08 PMAs for some more general advice:
  • Double-check all the rhythms in your sheet with this guide, to make sure they are written correctly
  • Same goes for accidentals, for which this guide might help
If you have any questions or would appreciate more detailed feedback, let me know!

Thanks but I think I'm ok. Please let me know if there is any issue with my sheet :)

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Fullmetalgrudo on September 19, 2023, 08:55:17 AMSorry, I just used the NSM panel, as explained in the submission guide... I had to create a post in this topic?
No problem! The submission guide is only an instruction on how to navigate the submission interface, not about anything else that's required. Now you'll know for next time!

Quote from: Fullmetalgrudo on September 19, 2023, 08:55:17 AMThanks but I think I'm ok. Please let me know if there is any issue with my sheet :)
The reason I ask is because there are numerous issues of this sort that should be fixed :) Could you please read through the guides and check your sheet?

Fullmetalgrudo

Just red it. Nothing to check since I already knew everything that was explained there :)

XiaoMigros

Please do check the sheet (at least the rhythms). As I said, some of the stuff mentioned in the guides applies here

For (dotted eighth)-(dotted eighth)-(eigth) rhythms, the middle note should be split into a 16th note and 8th note, to show the middle beat

Fullmetalgrudo

Kricketune54

So what was different about this sub when you submitted it? I am comparing back and forth between Thomas Wilson's original and your sheet and beyond the things Xiao already had you correct, I'm not seeing what you've done differently. Making a challenge arrangement is different from making edits.

Beyond that, the accidentals need another look over. There are a number of items that are still wrong (m2 for example the grace note An on beat 1.5 works better as a Gx, G double sharp, as well as beat 2),  but I am still struggling to identify if this has any merit being called a "replacement" beyond the adding of some grace notes and some additional notes here and there.

There are genuine aspects of the original sheet that make it worthy of replacement such as where the repeat falls, and a few other rhythms throughout that are missing notes. Not sure what your level of experience is, but this is a tough key to work with as well, so I would suggest if this sounds like a lot of work to redo going with a simpler song to start.

There are also guides on this forum on making MuseScore sheets look more like the current NinSheet files. https://www.ninsheetmusic.org/forum/index.php?topic=11860.msg425277#new

Fullmetalgrudo

Hello,

I just wanted the sheet music to be closer than the original piece and still playable off course. I cannot submit this kind of proposition? It's my first submission, so I'm sorry if I'm not quite aware of all the rules!

So here are the differences between my version and Thomas Wilson's one:

- Measure 1, beat 3.5 : The G is a F sharp
- Measure 3, beat 2.25 : The G sharp is a G or, as written, a F double sharp since there is a chromatic mouvement from F sharp to G sharp
- Measure 3, beat 3.5 and 4.25 : There are notes that double the melody above it
- Measure 5, beat 3 : The A sharp is hold
- Measure 6, beat 2 : The rhythm on the left hand was wrong compared to the original
- Measure 6, beat 4 : The A sharp is a A natural
- Measure 7, beat 3 : Once again, the A sharp is hold
- Measure 8, beat 4.25 : The low A is natural (blue note)
- Measure 13 : On the left hand, the D's and A's are natural (bVI and bVII degrees)
- Measure 15, beat 2 : The rhythm is ternary (swing)
- Measure 17, beat 3 : Idem
+ several appoggiaturas added and shorter articulations (staccatos, quavers).

And once again, despite I've red Thomas Wilson's sheet, I started over by using the .nsf files and FamiTracker to read it. So it's my work. But, yes, it's close to the previous one!

About measure 2, I agree on beat 1.5 but to me, on beat 2, since the melody goes down, the A natural is just fine here. By the way, following the same logic, I should change several appoggiaturas... I made them simpler to read although they aren't written the "normal" way...

About the repeat, I know it's wierd but since measures 18 and 2 are different, what do you suggest?

Fullmetalgrudo

I moved the repeat from the end to the beginning of the piece, in a box 2 bar:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/539251373787709441/1160889781681659965/image.png?ex=65364ddc&is=6523d8dc&hm=5c6eef870c608e17ffca542d80860fe7b927cfb487cee446c2a575651f07ddc8&;

Does it seem right to you guys?

PS: accidentals corrected

Kricketune54

:-*Oh no, sorry for the confusion I may have caused but this is not what I had in mind. I think the best approach might actually be to leave the repeats as they were (I'll admit I didn't quite realize beat 1 is silent  or to have the repeat start at m2, but add a note like this indicating that the beat 1 notes should be first time through only

For clarity's sake I'm going to refer to measure numbers as they are in the current submitted files, not the screenshot

There is also a nifty formatting guide for MuseScore to Finale files, it will help make this look a bit more like other sheets on site (fonts for titels are currently different, and the page numbers, measure numbers and second page header is missing) visually https://www.ninsheetmusic.org/forum/index.php?topic=11860.msg425277#new

I do appreciate you indicated also the different aspects of this arrangement from the one you are replacing. However there is still some work to be done

•One thing you will want to be consistent about is when you have staccatos in one hand but both notes are playing the same rhythm, is to have staccatos in both hands. This would apply to current m3 and m4
• m1 it sounds like the first grace notes on the first notes are not actually grace notes, but are 16th notes on beat 1.25. Listen a little closer, there's a slight difference in note length between these notes and the other grace notes and how they fall on the beats.
•It is a fairly common visual practice to include a slur on grace notes. We do suggest including that for every grace note as a result.

Fullmetalgrudo

Thanks for your answer :)

Okay then I'll probably change the repeat and I'll change some aspects to make it look more like the other sheets on the site (including slurs).

However, about staccatos, if I understand, you think that both hands should have staccatos if one have it and both hands play the same rhythm? But the way I see it is that the two hands play two independant voices...

About the grace notes in measure 1, in the original, according to the .nsf file, they actually fall on beat 1.5 and are about the lenght of 32th notes. The other ones are the same lenght and fall the same way. But I decided to write them as ornaments to make it simpler to read and to play.

Fullmetalgrudo

I've changed the repeat and I added slurs. So that is my finale version :

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/539251373787709441/1165432573292458044/image.png?ex=6546d4aa&is=65345faa&hm=bc8e97edc13dad77ccbb0516d0c906263735dc3d2013d4d44eb284b86d539f2c&;

I can send you the MuseScore file if you want to modify things for consistency's sake but I won't go any further in the procedure because I find it way too complicated. Sorry. I've tried my best but I'm sick and tired of it...

However, there was some aspects in the writing that needed to be modify (like grouping rhythms and modify some alterations) and I'm glad you helped me with that. Thank you :)

Kricketune54

The repeat and added slurs look good in your screenshot.
As for the files, if it's going to be a challenge, I don't mind if you forgo having to update them; I can make the necessary update if you at least link the XML file that you can export from MuseScore, and your MuseScore file.

Let me know if that sounds too tedious, but it worked well in the below submission's case. Feel free to link the files through Dropbox or Google Drive. The reason I ask for those files is while your screenshots are helpful, I do like to be able to hear the playback of how the sheet sounds, and to be able to fully see how the sheet looks in either Finale or MuseScore. At minimum, I would request your latest MuseScore file for each update you make.

https://www.ninsheetmusic.org/forum/index.php?topic=12700.0