who gaem (for real this time)

BlackDragonSlayer
2 (66.7%)
TheZeldaPianist275
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: August 16, 2023, 12:08:30 AM

TheZeldaPianist275

My point is, though, if the Wizzrobe has lost but is still alive, what's the incentive to do anything?

TheZeldaPianist275

Thanks for waiting, everyone.

TWG CXV: The Legend of Zelda

Wolves
1. Ganon - Master Wolf. Takes two hits to kill. Wolfings can only be performed if a player is adjacent to the Master Wolf or in his room at the start of the night phase. At the start of a night phase the Master Wolf will be informed of his wolfing options, but not where those players are in relation to him. Can move two squares rather than one. Will survive a vigi if anyone other than Link uses the Sword. Cannot pick up items.
2. Gleeok - Analysis Wolf. Will be told at the start of the night where the items are, but not which ones are where. During a night phase, can send the name of a player to the host to be told where that player is at the start of the next day phase. Cannot pick up items.

Humans
3. Link - The hero of Hyrule. Takes two hits to kill. If Link arrives in the same room as the bearer of the Sword, he will take it automatically from that player. Link is the only player whose use of the sword can hurt Ganon, and will destroy both of Ganon's lives with a single attack. Will be told if he was attacked.
4. Princess Zelda - The princess of Hyrule, gifted with great wisdom. Takes two hits to kill. Can send in a player's name to the host each night to be told what color that player is and what their location is. Will be told if she was attacked.
5. Impa - The princess' wise advisor. Her vote counts for two. Is told she is a Human.
6. Old Man - A mysterious old man who guides Link on his quest. Is told he is a Human.
7. Old Woman - A mysterious old woman with great medicinal knowledge. Is told she is a Human.
8. Shopkeeper - A pushy gentleman who loves selling items. Is told he is a Human.
9. Goriya - A hungry monster who is nevertheless sympathetic to Link and Zelda. Is immune to the effects of the Sword and the Boomerang. Is told he is a Human. Grumble, grumble.

Items
Sword - Grants the user a one-use vigi power during a night phase. Will fail if used against Ganon unless Link holds it, in which case it will destroy Ganon entirely.
Shield - Grants a one-time wolfing, lynch, or vigi survival, which can be applied to the holder or a player of his choice.
Boomerang - Once per day phase, can be thrown at a player to render their vote null for that day phase, and for them to be unable to move the following night phase. The player will be informed that he is unable to move at the start of the night.

The Dungeon
This game is unique; it takes place in a 4x4 dungeon of 16 tiles total.

At the start of the game, the players and items will be randomly distributed into the dungeon: no more than one player or item to a room. If a player moves into a room with an unclaimed item in it, that player will pick up that item. If a player moves into a room that has another player in it, neither player will be informed. If more than one player moves into a room with an item in it during the same night phase, random.org will decide which of them gets the item. If a player dies with an item, he will leave it behind in the room he was occupying when he died.

Every night phase, a player will be informed what room they are in. That player may send a PM to the host stating a direction he would like to move: north, south, east, or west.

At the start of the day phase, a player will be informed if he picked up an item.

The Hint Room: one of the 16 dungeon rooms is the Hint Room. If no one moved to the Hint Room during a night phase, at the end of the night, a random human player will be warped to the Hint Room. The Hint Room will then tell that player the location of the Sword (but not whether it is being held). If any player moves into the Hint Room normally during a night phase, it will not activate and he will not receive the location of the Sword. No player will start the game in the Hint Room.

-There is no limit on the number of players who can be in one room.
-Wolves win when teams reach parity.
-Humans win when the Master Wolf is dead.

Host Clarifications
-For those of you who have been around a while: very loose inspiration was taken from davy's TWG LV: The Choice is Doors.
-After discussion, a slight change to the Analysis Wolf's role was added.

TheZeldaPianist275

Triple post ftw. For clarity's sake, here is a sample opening layout for my game, using the players and the host from last game.

A# Minor

hey! listen!! ⬆️

haha get drowned
[close]

I unintentionally set an avatar that matches my custom title (Termina Tango) and now I don't want to post

ThatHiddenCharacter

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on August 08, 2023, 05:00:26 PMEDIT: Having run this game before, it really stank bc the person with that role died N1 :(
I wonder who that was...
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on August 08, 2023, 06:00:28 PMMy point is, though, if the Wizzrobe has lost but is still alive, what's the incentive to do anything?
Certainly. Become the true agent of chaos I don't know what their motivation would be. But if I give them multiple chances, what's stopping them from just controlling the game and using the strike every night?

If it is set to where the lightning kills them if they miss, the concern is that they will not use their power out of fear. I also don't know if having their wincon change to match the human side makes sense, bc then what's even the point of having a separate wincon in the first place? Do you have any ideas for this?

EDIT: Also, great minds think alike; Zelda themed game woo!

EDIT 2: Question about your game, TZP. What's stopping Ganon from just hanging out in the sword room? Isn't that basically a guaranteed win bc Link can't grab the sword? Or am I misreading and it's actually dangerous for that to happen bc Link could grab the sword and take one hit (assuming they still have two lives) and sweep Ganon?
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

Mfw I help an Italian plumber fall into the abyss while he was shouting something about red coins

[close]

TheZeldaPianist275

My suggestion would be to give the Wizzrobe a secondary win condition that is much less feasible to hit, but not impossible. So perhaps something like the woodcutter's axe shenanigans go as normal, but if the Wizzrobe fails to hit his target he must be the last human standing. He doesn't have a ton of control over that, so it incentivizes him to make sure that he is accurate with his one shot, and in addition it also incentivizes the wolves to go after him so they don't accidentally leave him till last and lose the game that way. It buys the humans a bit of a break, which is something I think they sorely need. With seven players they aren't even allowed one mislynch—if they lynch a human on d1, the teams are at parity after n2.

As far as your question about my game goes, a few things. The Analysis Wolf doesn't see the specific location of items—just what rooms have items in them. The Sword could be in any of those three. The wolf team in my game is also heavily reliant on the Analysis Wolf directing the Master Wolf around the dungeon for kills. So yeah, the Master Wolf could sit on an item, but there's no guarantee it's the Sword (the wolves will never know for sure which item is where) and there's also a chance that staying in one place gives up an opportunity for a wolfing, since there's no guarantee a human will wander within striking distance of it.

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on August 09, 2023, 04:08:41 PMMy suggestion would be to give the Wizzrobe a secondary win condition that is much less feasible to hit, but not impossible. So perhaps something like the woodcutter's axe shenanigans go as normal, but if the Wizzrobe fails to hit his target he must be the last human standing. He doesn't have a ton of control over that, so it incentivizes him to make sure that he is accurate with his one shot, and in addition it also incentivizes the wolves to go after him so they don't accidentally leave him till last and lose the game that way. It buys the humans a bit of a break, which is something I think they sorely need. With seven players they aren't even allowed one mislynch—if they lynch a human on d1, the teams are at parity after n2.
Say... now that's an idea! I'll go ahead and put that in. Thanks :)
Also, I'm going to add two townspeople bc it'll help balance things out—especially since both you and BDS also have games set up for 9 people. If I'm thinking correctly, two normal (read: no fancy powers) humans won't destroy the balance.

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on August 09, 2023, 04:08:41 PMAs far as your question about my game goes, a few things. The Analysis Wolf doesn't see the specific location of items—just what rooms have items in them. The Sword could be in any of those three. The wolf team in my game is also heavily reliant on the Analysis Wolf directing the Master Wolf around the dungeon for kills. So yeah, the Master Wolf could sit on an item, but there's no guarantee it's the Sword (the wolves will never know for sure which item is where) and there's also a chance that staying in one place gives up an opportunity for a wolfing, since there's no guarantee a human will wander within striking distance of it.
Ah, that brings up some interesting strategy points, but I think it'd be best left for in-game discussion X) thanks for clarifying!

EDIT: Made the updates to the game. I hope we can indeed get nine players X)
-The Sign Painter

Mfw I help an Italian plumber fall into the abyss while he was shouting something about red coins

[close]

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on August 09, 2023, 04:49:06 PMespecially since both you and BDS also have games set up for 9 people.
Let's hope!!! My game is setup in a way where removing one or two people hopefully shouldn't break the game completely (but 9 players is totally the dream).
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

E. Gadd Industries

Well, ig it isn't too unrealistic considering we had 8 last game and someone said something or other about inviting a friend who would be active as well? Idk maybe I got used to the barely getting games together age we went through before this :')
-The Sign Painter

[close]

SpecsFlyer17

Howdy all, first post. I'm TZPs irl friend, who has pleasantly roped me into the world of secret identity games.

I appreciate the simplicity of BDS's game; just a straight up number draw to determine the wolfing. The addition of the Number Swapper adds an interesting twist. Curious to see what kind of debates/bluffs emerge from such a simple game design.

Gadd, the unknown nature of Hylia makes your game a bit of a mystery, but that's by design could really make the game fun. I do agree that the Yellow Wizzrobe needed a second win condition should the thunderstorm miss, which it looks like you added. With two wolves, I think having at least 7 humans makes it balanced, although the lack of information about Hylia makes that a bit of a question mark. I guess we'll find out eventually (or one of us will)!

TZP's is by far the most complex, which could mean it's extremely fun to play, although it could be hard to balance. Ganon, Link, and Zelda having two lives is a cool twist, along with the presence of items. Ganon and the Analysis Wolf will have to work together to locate/wolf players, while Zelda's seer abilities will yield important information but may paint herself as a target.

Look forward to playing with you all!
Current Breathing Mode: MANUAL

BlackDragonSlayer

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: SpecsFlyer17 on August 09, 2023, 05:54:15 PMHowdy all, first post. I'm TZPs irl friend, who has pleasantly roped me into the world of secret identity games.

Look forward to playing with you all!
:D looking forward to playing with you as well! Welcome!

Quote from: SpecsFlyer17 on August 09, 2023, 05:54:15 PMGadd, the unknown nature of Hylia makes your game a bit of a mystery, but that's by design could really make the game fun. I do agree that the Yellow Wizzrobe needed a second win condition should the thunderstorm miss, which it looks like you added. With two wolves, I think having at least 7 humans makes it balanced, although the lack of information about Hylia makes that a bit of a question mark. I guess we'll find out eventually (or one of us will)!
Heheh Hylia is the most fun role for the host, I think. I had a lot of fun thinking of Hyrule-relevant names for game-relevant powers that hint at what they do without revealing anything. It could very well impact the outcome of the game. Unfortunately, in the last iteration of the game, in addition to the Wizzrobe dying N1, Hylia chose the three LEAST interesting powers the three nights the game lasted.
-The Sign Painter

[close]

BlackDragonSlayer

A reminder to any other aspiring hosts that the poll's gonna start Saturday! I'm in Pacific Time so I'll probably just put the poll up whenever I go to bed Friday. :P

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

BlackDragonSlayer

Poll's up, and runs until 48 hours from now! Get to votin'!!! :D

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber