News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

[PC] Symphonic Rain - "Hello!" by Latios212

Started by Zeta, July 21, 2023, 04:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Symphonic Rain
Console: PC
Title: Hello!
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

I wasn't super happy with how the vocal humming line gets a little lost inside the chords formed by other voices in m. 3-11, 35-38, 72-end. Since this is a vocal song and I think it would be good to focus on the humming, I might rework the part to place the hummed melody on top, and harmonize underneath instead of transcribing the voices directly.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Quote from: Latios212 on July 21, 2023, 04:18:07 PMI wasn't super happy with how the vocal humming line gets a little lost inside the chords formed by other voices in m. 3-11, 35-38, 72-end. Since this is a vocal song and I think it would be good to focus on the humming, I might rework the part to place the hummed melody on top, and harmonize underneath instead of transcribing the voices directly.
I think this might work as is too, since the humming voices have the most colourful chord tones at the bottom, but I can see wanting to have the voice at top at some places.

-m17: The lyrics on beat 3-4 should be "sou da", instead of "so-u"
-m27: Maybe you could add a G-B dyad (or just a B) on beat 4 to resolve the Gsus4 from beat 1?
-m32 and 65: I think the lonely t from "hashitteku" should be with its other t on beat 1.5, I still hear the i on beat 1.
-m33 and 66: "surinureku" should be spelled as "surinukeru" instead (switching the r and k around)
-m41: I hear a few Eb's in beat 1-3 too, maybe you could add the Eb to the R.H. chord?
-m69: I think the u on beat 6.5 should be together with the o on beat 6, I think the singer just kinda reinforces the "ou" (from utaou) sound with a w. It doesn't sound like "o - u" at least.
-m43 and 45: I also hear a C in beat 4's R.H.
-m49: I mostly hear Fm here on beat 1 in the R.H., maybe Fm7 but not sure.

Latios212

Thank you for the thorough check! You're right about all the above points and I've made all the adjustments accordingly. :D

Quote from: Latios212 on July 21, 2023, 04:18:07 PMI wasn't super happy with how the vocal humming line gets a little lost inside the chords formed by other voices in m. 3-11, 35-38, 72-end. Since this is a vocal song and I think it would be good to focus on the humming, I might rework the part to place the hummed melody on top, and harmonize underneath instead of transcribing the voices directly.
Quote from: Bloop on September 03, 2023, 06:28:57 AMI think this might work as is too, since the humming voices have the most colourful chord tones at the bottom, but I can see wanting to have the voice at top at some places.
I did end up reworking this to keep the humming voice on top, and I like it much better now - that voice doesn't get lost in the chords anymore. Measures 4-11, 35-38, and 72+ are updated with the voicings I've tried out!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Looking good! I'll approve!
You cannot view this attachment.

Kricketune54

Not a whole lot more to add!

• m5, m7, m9, m73, 75, and 77 RH beat last note of these measures, you could add slurs given how the vocal note shifts
• m13 LH 2.33 I think the G is not present here, but at m14 1.33 I hear the G above the E. On m14 beat 2.33 I only hear F, and no G
• m17 LH same about 2.33 as m13, but hearing F as well with the G on 2.66
• m18 RH you could add a slur between notes, same reasoning as above
• m23 RH 2.33 and 2.66 C is restruck underneath
• m50 RH I think I hear an F in this cluster
• m53 lyric on second 16th note I hear as "na"
• m58 1.33 lyric hearing "na" as well

Latios212

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 16, 2023, 03:48:30 PM• m5, m7, m9, m73, 75, and 77 RH beat last note of these measures, you could add slurs given how the vocal note shifts
I like this, added!

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 16, 2023, 03:48:30 PM• m13 LH 2.33 I think the G is not present here, but at m14 1.33 I hear the G above the E. On m14 beat 2.33 I only hear F, and no G
• m17 LH same about 2.33 as m13, but hearing F as well with the G on 2.66
I'm not sure I hear some of these suggestions here, listening again I think it generally makes sense to keep the dyads consistent since they don't seem to be super obviously single notes. (In case you were wondering I omitted the G in m. 14 beat 1.33 because of the overlap with the melody, otherwise the goal was to have a consistent texture.) I do hear F instead of G in the latter half of m. 17 and it didn't sound like triads, so I swapped them out.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 16, 2023, 03:48:30 PM• m18 RH you could add a slur between notes, same reasoning as above
• m23 RH 2.33 and 2.66 C is restruck underneath
Yep, updated!

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 16, 2023, 03:48:30 PM• m50 RH I think I hear an F in this cluster
Yeah, F sounds right here. I didn't want to put it a major second away from the melody so I extended this chord downwards.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 16, 2023, 03:48:30 PM• m53 lyric on second 16th note I hear as "na"
• m58 1.33 lyric hearing "na" as well
(assuming you mean m. 58 beat 1.66) These do sound a little ambiguous, but I did cross-check the original lyrics to confirm that those are correct. I checked a couple of sources but here's one with the romaji pronunciations (note this is the full version of the song from the album version so it has extra verses not present in this sheet).

Thanks for checking! Updated the files :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Quote from: Latios212 on September 17, 2023, 01:28:55 PMI'm not sure I hear some of these suggestions here, listening again I think it generally makes sense to keep the dyads consistent since they don't seem to be super obviously single notes. (In case you were wondering I omitted the G in m. 14 beat 1.33 because of the overlap with the melody, otherwise the goal was to have a consistent texture.) I do hear F instead of G in the latter half of m. 17 and it didn't sound like triads, so I swapped them out.
Yep, updated!
Good point on consistency, and I now see that G is not there in m15 to avoid the melody! Makes sense

I just have one outstanding comment that applies in a couple places: m22, m26 RH beat 1, I hear these chords slightly differently: hearing E and A in m22 instead of F and A, in m26 same notes instead of D and F. Pretty minor, but was wondering if the notes below the melody you placed here was more implied than notes you heard.

Latios212

Quote from: Kricketune54 on September 18, 2023, 08:45:48 AMI just have one outstanding comment that applies in a couple places: m22, m26 RH beat 1, I hear these chords slightly differently: hearing E and A in m22 instead of F and A, in m26 same notes instead of D and F. Pretty minor, but was wondering if the notes below the melody you placed here was more implied than notes you heard.
Ah good catch, I think you're right! The harmony in the right hand does sound like A minor here. I've adjusted the notes accordingly - not exactly to your comment above, but to make triads in the right hand consistent with the rest of the section.

Thanks again for checking, files updated! :D

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Kricketune54.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot