News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

[SW] The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - "Main Theme" by XiaoMigros

Started by Zeta, May 29, 2023, 11:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: Main Theme
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: XiaoMigros

[attachment deleted by admin]

XiaoMigros

Kricketune54

This is pretty brilliant. Most of what I have to say is borderline splitting hairs

First question I have: how do we know this is titled "Main Theme" if it plays in the credits? Shouldn't it be "(Staff Roll Ver.)" in the title as well? I'm making this recommendation out of the fact that I've heard so many versions of this theme from trailers and such that I don't know if this fits as the definitive "Main Theme".

• I noticed Hajime Wakai is in your credits but is not in the composer credits (at least on wikipedia). What is your reasoning for including him?
• v small but m30 you could make the slur look a bit more like it continues on next page and also not intersect with the tie
Spoiler
[close]
• m19 you could add an F between the Ab's, but it makes it a little tougher and is a bit up there in the octaves.
• could add m24 RH add grace notes (D# and E) to 1.5
• m68-72 I think the E's on the bottom to sort of represent the timpani rolls was a good choice. However, the timpani is the bass notes in m72, so you could either have two octaves going in the LH here or maybe just the lower one. I just think this sounds a little off from the original as is

Oh, and obviously for m2, m4, m14 you need to add a performance note that the player should make a skadush sound with their mouth

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 05, 2023, 09:29:53 PMFirst question I have: how do we know this is titled "Main Theme" if it plays in the credits? Shouldn't it be "(Staff Roll Ver.)" in the title as well? I'm making this recommendation out of the fact that I've heard so many versions of this theme from trailers and such that I don't know if this fits as the definitive "Main Theme".
That is a fair point, allow me to explain my reasoning:
  • This track appears in the same place in game as in BOTW (in the credits only)
  • This theme is used as the (new) recurring motif throughout the game's whole soundtrack
  • "Staff Roll ver." is only there to distinguish from trailer versions/a version that premiered on Nintendo's japanese website a few weeks prior to the game's release. (The most complete version found in the trailers goes from 1:42 in the video to the end, and the japanese website version starts at 0:37 and fades out around 2:10.)
  • Most importantly, this track doesn't appear anywhere else in the game in this form, and I'm not alone with the assumption that this is the main theme. That said, if you don't feel that's justifiable enough I'd be happy to reconsider

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 05, 2023, 09:29:53 PM• I noticed Hajime Wakai is in your credits but is not in the composer credits (at least on wikipedia). What is your reasoning for including him?
He's credited as 'Sound Director' so technically no credited composing. Happy to remove if you prefer

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 05, 2023, 09:29:53 PM• m19 you could add an F between the Ab's, but it makes it a little tougher and is a bit up there in the octaves.
I was back and forth on this while arranging, but in the end I decided against it; not only is it not super playable but I don't like the sound it gives without the Db in the chord as well. Maybe adding just the Db is best? I've left it as is for now though

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 05, 2023, 09:29:53 PM• could add m24 RH add grace notes (D# and E) to 1.5
Added just the En, two grace notes seemed a little too overpowering

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 05, 2023, 09:29:53 PM• m68-72 I think the E's on the bottom to sort of represent the timpani rolls was a good choice. However, the timpani is the bass notes in m72, so you could either have two octaves going in the LH here or maybe just the lower one. I just think this sounds a little off from the original as is
Good call! This captures the original much better

Thanks for the feedback! Files are updated

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 05, 2023, 09:29:53 PMOh, and obviously for m2, m4, m14 you need to add a performance note that the player should make a skadush sound with their mouth
oopsie, time to retract the submission

Kricketune54

Quote from: XiaoMigros on June 06, 2023, 03:37:57 AMThat is a fair point, allow me to explain my reasoning:
Thank you for the explanation, this all makes sense to me.

QuoteHe's credited as 'Sound Director' so technically no credited composing. Happy to remove if you prefer
I don't know enough about the sound director role but this is all a pretty tiny detail; he's not included in the list of composers though so perhaps best leave out (especially if the case were that the only songs of his in the game are just ported from BoTW anyway)

• m7 I think there's an F in the chord like m6
• m9-10 RH beat 4.0 sounds like a G
• Maybe you could add a performance direction at m15? Maybe move Maestoso here? It doesn't feel like the beginning is "Maestoso" per say, so maybe a separate direction would apply?
• m11 It's a little hard to tell but I think the beat 1 chord has either a Bb on top or an E above it that could go beside the current D
• m35 top RH beat 1.5 sounds like a Bb
• Not critical, but might want to fix this/troubleshoot for feedback convenience, the top piano layer for m33-38 is not audible on playback. Not sure why that's the case I'm on Finale v27 for refrence (would be curious if anyone else experiencing similar), but the midi is fine
• m52 I hear the high strings (which i assume is the m51-52 top layer) do this rhythm. I'm not really hearing what's on beat 2 and 3 at the moment regardless, in fact that rhythm seems to sound more like beat 4 of m52.
• m54 RH lower layer beat 4 hearing 4.0 as F-D-A and 4.5 E-C-G (descending from top). I think m55 beat 1.5 is D-A-F and there's an A in beat 4.0. There's also a C in m56 beat 1.5 bottom RH layer. I think keeping as is is is fine for sake of having two octaves if you prefer though
• m66 LH I think beat 3.5 there is an E present

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 21, 2023, 11:33:36 AM• m11 It's a little hard to tell but I think the beat 1 chord has either a Bb on top or an E above it that could go beside the current D
added the En

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 21, 2023, 11:33:36 AM• Not critical, but might want to fix this/troubleshoot for feedback convenience, the top piano layer for m33-38 is not audible on playback. Not sure why that's the case I'm on Finale v27 for refrence (would be curious if anyone else experiencing similar), but the midi is fine
works on regular playback for me, but not with scrubbing (space+click)

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 21, 2023, 11:33:36 AM• m52 I hear the high strings (which i assume is the m51-52 top layer) do this rhythm.
Not sure which rhythm you're referring to but this layer is from the piano part

Quote from: Kricketune54 on June 21, 2023, 11:33:36 AM• m54 RH lower layer beat 4 hearing 4.0 as F-D-A and 4.5 E-C-G (descending from top). I think m55 beat 1.5 is D-A-F and there's an A in beat 4.0. There's also a C in m56 beat 1.5 bottom RH layer. I think keeping as is is is fine for sake of having two octaves if you prefer though
Yeahh, I think I'd like to keep this part up to 3 notes wide, and in octaves. I change m54b4 to A because it flows better, and some other minor things too. Let me know what you think!

Thanks for your time, everything else should be accounted for

Kricketune54

Quoteworks on regular playback for me, but not with scrubbing (space+click)
My scrubbing has been exposed yeah looks like that's the case!

QuoteNot sure which rhythm you're referring to but this layer is from the piano part
Think I forgot a screenshot here- relistening I can hear what you have written much more clearly for whatever reason. Good to leave as this.

QuoteYeahh, I think I'd like to keep this part up to 3 notes wide, and in octaves. I change m54b4 to A because it flows better, and some other minor things too. Let me know what you think!
Good with that!

I just have one last comment m9 RH beat 2.5-3.0 the C is not present in either trumpets or vocals, I think a D would work slightly better based off what I'm hearing. But won't let that this up, approving!

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on July 07, 2023, 08:46:33 PMI just have one last comment m9 RH beat 2.5-3.0 the C is not present in either trumpets or vocals, I think a D would work slightly better based off what I'm hearing.
Discussed this over on discord and we can both hear the C! Thanks for all the feedback

Bloop

-m5-8: A bit of sostenuto-skepticisim from me again :p The only held notes here in the original are the ones from the L.H. The piano chords in the R.H. are staccato instead, but they will get held by the sostenuto pedal too. Also, all notes that that were in the R.H. chord at the start of the bar, will still be held if they are restruck (that's how the middle pedal works). So for example, in m5, the C, F and G in the R.H. will ring on later in the bar as well. If both of these were compromises you were fine with, that's ok, but this is what I think I would've done:
You cannot view this attachment.
This way the L.H. will ring on, the R.H. chord stays staccato. The only compromise here is the choir part is a bit less full, but I think the occasional octave fills it up enough and isn't as distracting as specific notes ringing on compared to others.
-m16 and 18: In the L.H. on the last 16th, maybe you could use the 5th of the chord instead of the octave? It makes the quick 16th note run a bit easier to play.
-m33-36: The top piano line does fit technically, but it'll take the player a lot of effort to not let it stand out, play those quick jumps, and switch hands for the melody, for something that isn't very much present in the original. Do you think the arrangement would sound fine without it?
-m54: It's hard (or impossible) to play the F-C grace notes and the resulting chord with one hand. Maybe you could leave out the L.H. G, so the L.H. can take the grace notes?
-m65: this sostenuto pedal
..I like it ^^ I think the E's ring on for a little bit longer, until about halfway through m67, so maybe you could extend the pedal line to that point?
-m70-73: Did you leave out the E and Cn in the third note of the R.H. triplets for playability? I think you can add them in if you want. Also, you should change the Bb's here to A#'s: These are all power chords (or root-5th voicings).

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Bloop on July 10, 2023, 11:51:41 AM-m5-8: A bit of sostenuto-skepticisim from me again :p The only held notes here in the original are the ones from the L.H.
oh, the RH isn't held? bye sosty

Quote from: Bloop on July 10, 2023, 11:51:41 AMThe only compromise here is the choir part is a bit less full, but I think the occasional octave fills it up enough and isn't as distracting as specific notes ringing on compared to others.
I don't quite follow this part, but I changed this for playability reasons??? I made all the changes a few days before writing feedback so I forgor, sorry

Quote from: Bloop on July 10, 2023, 11:51:41 AM-m33-36: The top piano line does fit technically, but it'll take the player a lot of effort to not let it stand out, play those quick jumps, and switch hands for the melody, for something that isn't very much present in the original. Do you think the arrangement would sound fine without it?
I don't think the arrangement needs it per se, but in its current form I find this section to be a little too empty. I tried some stuff but didn't find anything I was happy with, do you have any suggestions?

Quote from: Bloop on July 10, 2023, 11:51:41 AM-m65: this sostenuto pedal
..I like it
wow! there really is a first for everything

Quote from: Bloop on July 10, 2023, 11:51:41 AM-m70-73: Did you leave out the E and Cn in the third note of the R.H. triplets for playability? I think you can add them in if you want. Also, you should change the Bb's here to A#'s: These are all power chords (or root-5th voicings).
I think I left them out for playability, but I added the Cns (we have Ens in the bass, plus seems weird to change number of notes in chord)
The Bb I had because chromaticism but yeah thats wrong oops

Files updated, thanks for checking!

Bloop

Quote from: XiaoMigros on July 15, 2023, 03:16:39 PMI don't quite follow this part, but I changed this for playability reasons??? I made all the changes a few days before writing feedback so I forgor, sorry
What you have is what I was aiming for ^^ It'd be hard to play the sampled choir part in all octaves (like you had originally) with just the R.H., so the compromise I mentioned was doing what you have now: having some as octaves, but not all.

Quote from: XiaoMigros on July 15, 2023, 03:16:39 PMI don't think the arrangement needs it per se, but in its current form I find this section to be a little too empty. I tried some stuff but didn't find anything I was happy with, do you have any suggestions?
I think this works too, it gives the player a moment of rest as well. If you wanna fill it up a little bit, there's a voice that plays an Eb on beat 1.5 of m33 and repeats the Eb every dotted quarter note. You could add that in the R.H. for as long as it makes sense. Either way, make sure to flip the quarter note on m35 beat 1 R.H.

Quote from: XiaoMigros on July 15, 2023, 03:16:39 PMI think I left them out for playability, but I added the Cns (we have Ens in the bass, plus seems weird to change number of notes in chord)
I actually meant the E in the 3rd power chord and the C in the 6th, like this:
You cannot view this attachment.

And a few small things:
-m5-8: Maybe you can add staccatos to the R.H. chords on beat 1, like they are in m9-11?
-m33: Did you forget to tie over the R.H. note to m34, or did you restrike it in m34 because of the crescendo?

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Bloop on July 17, 2023, 11:31:10 AMI actually meant the E in the 3rd power chord and the C in the 6th, like this:
ohh that makes more sense haha

Quote from: Bloop on July 17, 2023, 11:31:10 AMIf you wanna fill it up a little bit, there's a voice that plays an Eb on beat 1.5 of m33 and repeats the Eb every dotted quarter note. You could add that in the R.H. for as long as it makes sense.
I tried adding in this part last time (I think it's actually an Eb-F ostinato) and didn't like it. I think I'll leave it as is

Quote from: Bloop on July 17, 2023, 11:31:10 AM-m5-8: Maybe you can add staccatos to the R.H. chords on beat 1, like they are in m9-11?
ah yeah i forgor

Quote from: Bloop on July 17, 2023, 11:31:10 AM-m33: Did you forget to tie over the R.H. note to m34, or did you restrike it in m34 because of the crescendo?
This is restruck for the crescendo :)

Bloop

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bloop.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot