News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

[MUL] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team & Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team - "Escape

Started by Zeta, May 14, 2023, 02:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
Game: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team & Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Escape Through the Snow / Snow Refugees
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Bespinben

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Edit (existing arranger remains)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bespinben

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

XiaoMigros

This is really pretty, I like how you combined both versions to make the second half more grand
  • At the last chord in measure 15, I don't hear the Ab in the LH
  • A lot of your text sizes seem to be marginally off from the site's recommendations, could you look over those?
    Since the subtitle is pretty long I think it's excusable to have that set a little smaller, but that can't be said for everything else
  • I would recommend using TempoMarks category fonts for the BPM marking, otherwise it looks like it's from MuseScore..
    Additionally you could italicise the con pedale marking, though non italic is okay too
  • Do you think it's clear to the performer that they should hold the pedal à 2 measures, rather than lifting it after each one?
    Particularly the rests in the LH of m2 and m16 might cause some confusion.

Bespinben

Thank you! I thought starting off with the sparse texture of the Blue version and then introducing the fuller texture from the Red version would be a great way to break up the repetitiveness of the piece. This replacement is of the very first piece I submitted to this site in 2011, so I wanna do it justice this time <3

Quote from: XiaoMigros on May 15, 2023, 01:23:07 AM
  • At the last chord in measure 15, I don't hear the Ab in the LH

I wanted to give a sense of finality to the loop. It also helps to keep the texture together, since without it, there would be a large gap between the RH ostinato and the final high F of the melody.

• A lot of your text sizes seem to be marginally off from the site's recommendations, could you look over those? Since the subtitle is pretty long I think it's excusable to have that set a little smaller, but that can't be said for everything else
My NSM template is adapted from the workflow I use in my engraving and publishing work, which is based around having some items that are fixed size (headers, credits, copyright, etc.), and using the Page Layout tool to change the Staff Size (to exactly 6.5mm, according to Elaine Gould's recommendations for piano sheet music) instead of the Re-size tool to increase or decrease the size of the music staves and attached items. My smaller point sizes in the fixed text size items is to compensate for that, to arrive at a similar result as the NSM formatting guidelines which assume the use of the resize tool.

• I would recommend using TempoMarks category fonts for the BPM marking, otherwise it looks like it's from MuseScore..
    Additionally you could italicise the con pedale marking, though non italic is okay too

I'm using Finale's "Engraver Font T" for the note-head and Times New Roman Bold for everything else in the tempo marking. The default way that Finale only bolds the tempo expression and not the number is unfortunate — Musescore actually gets this right, and is much closer to Elaine Gould's recommendations. Also, I consider pedal instructions as technique text rather than expressive text, hence the lack of italics.

• Do you think it's clear to the performer that they should hold the pedal à 2 measures, rather than lifting it after each one?

With the con ped. marking, it should be clear that chords will be sustained over the whole rest bar, based on the texture. When playing IRL, I sometimes will even hold the pedal across the chord changes, especially to help the melody connect in m. 8-16.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Bespinben on May 15, 2023, 07:10:38 AMI wanted to give a sense of finality to the loop. It also helps to keep the texture together
Works for me!

Quote from: Bespinben on May 15, 2023, 07:10:38 AMMy NSM template is adapted from the workflow I use in my engraving and publishing work, which is based around having some items that are fixed size (headers, credits, copyright, etc.), and using the Page Layout tool to change the Staff Size (to exactly 6.5mm, according to Elaine Gould's recommendations for piano sheet music) instead of the Re-size tool to increase or decrease the size of the music staves and attached items. My smaller point sizes in the fixed text size items is to compensate for that, to arrive at a similar result as the NSM formatting guidelines which assume the use of the resize tool.
I see, the result looks accurate enough when compared with a template so this is okay too

Quote from: Bespinben on May 15, 2023, 07:10:38 AMI'm using Finale's "Engraver Font T" for the note-head and Times New Roman Bold for everything else in the tempo marking. The default way that Finale only bolds the tempo expression and not the number is unfortunate — Musescore actually gets this right, and is much closer to Elaine Gould's recommendations. Also, I consider pedal instructions as technique text rather than expressive text, hence the lack of italics.
A little different compared to what I usually see on site, but I don't take issue with it

Quote from: Bespinben on May 15, 2023, 07:10:38 AMWith the con ped. marking, it should be clear that chords will be sustained over the whole rest bar, based on the texture.
okey dokey

I approve

Latios212

Quote from: Bespinben on May 15, 2023, 07:10:38 AMThank you! I thought starting off with the sparse texture of the Blue version and then introducing the fuller texture from the Red version would be a great way to break up the repetitiveness of the piece. This replacement is of the very first piece I submitted to this site in 2011, so I wanna do it justice this time <3
It works wonderfully, thank you for sprucing this one up :D

Quote from: XiaoMigros on May 15, 2023, 01:23:07 AMDo you think it's clear to the performer that they should hold the pedal à 2 measures, rather than lifting it after each one?
Quote from: Bespinben on May 15, 2023, 07:10:38 AMWith the con ped. marking, it should be clear that chords will be sustained over the whole rest bar, based on the texture. When playing IRL, I sometimes will even hold the pedal across the chord changes, especially to help the melody connect in m. 8-16.
Reading this sheet, I also think it's clear enough. The 16th line only changing across system breaks implies this, as well as the lack of a bass note on beat 1 of the even-numbered measures. It'd also be a bit messier to tie the notes over, with the clef changes and such.

Nothing further to add upon a closer look, so here we go!

You cannot view this attachment.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta