News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

[DELETED] [PC] Deltarune - "Darkness Falls" by Francesco Lunar Minasi

Started by Zeta, April 21, 2023, 07:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Undertale/Deltarune
Game: Deltarune
Console: PC
Title: Darkness Falls
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Francesco Lunar Minasi

XiaoMigros

Hi! Welcome once again to NinSheetMusic submissions :)

When submitting, it's customary to provide a (YouTube) link to the original track, like so:

The way the submissions process works, is people will leave feedback on your sheet here, which you can then review and choose to implement/not implement. Once 2 updaters approve of your sheet, it will be accepted and put on the site in the next update! I'll be your first updater for this sheet, and below is my first feedback (if you ignore the previous things I've told you...)

Notes
L.H.
  • I hear the first few chords as minor 7th chords with the 5th omitted, m1 is C, m2 is G, m3 is Gb, m4 beat 1 is Eb
  • m2 beat 6 sounds like Bb, not G
  • There's an additional Db at beat 3 of m4, and the last chord is Eb3-Gb3-C4
  • m5-6 are the same as m3-4, except for the Db at beat 3 I mentioned earlier
  • There's a high Db at m10 beat 3
  • m12 b3 sounds like Bb, not Db
R.H.
  • m13: I don't hear the Bb in this chord
  • m22: I hear an added F and Bb in this chord
Other
  • In m8, the 3rd note in the RH should be written in the LH, to show that it's part of the same voice.
    You can use cross-staff notation or something similar to show that the note should still be played by the RH (because it should be)
  • The stems of the eighth notes in m11 should point upwards, like they do in m19
  • m15 & 16 RH: You've left in some notes from the LH part here, those should be (re)moved.
  • m15+ LH: I like your idea of writing the piano part an octave lower, but the implementation could do with some improvement:
    • Try to include the low bass synthesizer wherever is possible. Since it's much louder than the piano, it's okay to remove the piano notes if needed.
    • Some of the piano parts are missing, or stuck in the RH (an octave higher than they should be). Would be great if you could fill those in
    • At beat 2 of m19 a new synth comes in, which you could include instead of the piano (adding some variety to the sheet :D)
  • I can see your .mus file is a little out of date at the moment, but before the sheet can be accepted the PDF should be exported from the MUS file directly.
    That said, I'm aware how tiresome Notepad is to work with, I'm fine with you working in MuseScore for now if it's more comfortable for you!
    Just make a note to do so for later on.
  • There are also certain things (system spacing, hiding the pedal markings) that are impossible to do in Notepad. Don't worry about those, I'll get them done for you also later on.

Francesca

Hello, I apologize for not responding earlier, I never realized submitting a sheet automatically opened a topic- You may have responded to my previous submission too, so sorry that I didn't see it. I would have posted a link to the track, too, if I had known. Anyways, I've made most of the changes, but I'm confused about some things:

• The minor 7th in m3 sounds more like an Ab rather than a Gb, or am I wrong?
  • By adding the low bass synthesizer, do you mean adding an entirely new instrument? I didn't know that was allowed. I may have misunderstood, though.
  • I tried to export the PDF from Notepad, but it seems to me that the only way to do that is to print the file, which it doesn't let me do because I don't have a printer...

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Lunarium on April 24, 2023, 12:14:26 AMHello, I apologize for not responding earlier, I never realized submitting a sheet automatically opened a topic- You may have responded to my previous submission too, so sorry that I didn't see it.
No problem! The submissions process confused me on my first time too. Next time will be easier :)

Quote from: Lunarium on April 24, 2023, 12:14:26 AM
  • The minor 7th in m3 sounds more like an Ab rather than a Gb, or am I wrong?
Yup you're right, that sounds like Abm7 (I think I said the wrong thing but got the right chord)

• By adding the low bass synthesizer, do you mean adding an entirely new instrument? I didn't know that was allowed. I may have misunderstood, though.
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I meant to add the notes from that instrument to your sheet, not the instrument itself. Something like this:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

• I tried to export the PDF from Notepad, but it seems to me that the only way to do that is to print the file, which it doesn't let me do because I don't have a printer...
Windows devices should have the option 'Print to PDF', are you sure that's not present for you?

Francesca

Alright, I tried to emphasize the synth notes in m15+ at the cost of removing some other notes, like this:
Spoiler
[close]
Does that work? Also, if I want to send the document, can I only do so by updating the submission?

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Lunarium on April 24, 2023, 04:22:59 AMDoes that work?
Looking better, but I still hear more of the very loud bass notes that aren't yet present in the sheet..

Quote from: Lunarium on April 24, 2023, 04:22:59 AMAlso, if I want to send the document, can I only do so by updating the submission?
Yup! Go to NSM Panel-View Your Submissions and use the 'edit submission' button to update the files.

Francesca

QuoteLooking better, but I still hear more of the very loud bass notes that aren't yet present in the sheet..
What about now? I had to remove some other notes to make those low ones playable.
Spoiler
[close]
Also, in Finale I just see a "Print" option, I'm assuming I have to click that to access the "Print to PDF" option, but it doesn't let me do so because I don't have a printer.

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Lunarium on April 25, 2023, 05:02:33 AMWhat about now? I had to remove some other notes to make those low ones playable.
Looking better! Notice how in m15-16 the bass goes Cb-Gb-Db-Bb----. That's the part that I think should be written above all else. Can you fill that in, along with the other measures?

Quote from: Lunarium on April 25, 2023, 05:02:33 AMAlso, in Finale I just see a "Print" option, I'm assuming I have to click that to access the "Print to PDF" option, but it doesn't let me do so because I don't have a printer.
You shouldn't need a physical printer for the print dialog to open, but I can get the PDF for you at the end of the submissions process so it's no big deal :)
In the meantime if you could update your .MUS with the changes made, that would be great.

Francesca

Okay, I've found a way to print the file as a PDF and updated the .mus, as well as everything else.

XiaoMigros

Glad to hear that!

I finally got around to making an example for what I mean in m15. I also had the idea to use a different voice for the different instruments, to distinguish between them:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
I think it's important to follow the movement of the bass part, i.e. not to move octaves around here.

If you're happy with this idea feel free to implement it, but if you can come up with your own way of incorporating the bass part then feel free to do so :p

I've also updated the .mus file in the submission with various non-Notepad possible changes, namely:
  • Hiding the pedal markings
  • Flipped stems of the RH 8ths in m19
  • Redistributed measures and systems for more even formatting
  • Various other position adjustments
  • Added metric modulation marking in m7
  • Updated copyright information to fit what the other sheets on site use

Some more feedback:
  • The LH chord in m1 should be an octave higher
  • The note in m15 at beat 3 in the RH is part of the piano part, which you have written an octave lower in the bass clef. Therefore, this note should be removed.

Francesca

QuoteI finally got around to making an example for what I mean in m15. I also had the idea to use a different voice for the different instruments, to distinguish between them
This works and I modified the sheet, but the last few parts appear to be unplayable if the bass notes are held down...
Spoiler
[close]

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Lunarium on April 27, 2023, 04:30:36 AMThis works and I modified the sheet, but the last few parts appear to be unplayable if the bass notes are held down...
Usually my advice would be to write the durations shorter and use rests where necessary, but this case is an exception. Since the pedal is used here, the notes don't have to be held for their full duration. That said, the last bass note is tied over a measure and wouldn't be sustained by the pedal, so I would either remove just the tie or remove both tie and note, whatever you prefer.

Francesca

QuoteUsually my advice would be to write the durations shorter and use rests where necessary, but this case is an exception. Since the pedal is used here, the notes don't have to be held for their full duration. That said, the last bass note is tied over a measure and wouldn't be sustained by the pedal, so I would either remove just the tie or remove both tie and note, whatever you prefer.
Okay, I have removed both the note and the tie and updated all the documents. Note that the pedal markings are visible again, now...

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Lunarium on April 28, 2023, 05:08:22 AMOkay, I have removed both the note and the tie and updated all the documents.
Looks good! I think I am close to giving my approval for this sheet. Just a few more things to add:
  • In m22, I wonder if it's better for the top note in the RH chord to be an Eb, since the main melody still holds that note and it's quite loud. Maybe you move the top two notes of the current chord down an octave, if you want?
  • Additionally, I think you can move the LH note in m22 down an octave, since the bass here is much louder than the piano. Restriking this note make sense here.

Quote from: Lunarium on April 28, 2023, 05:08:22 AMNote that the pedal markings are visible again, now...
If you make the changes from within Notepad, without exporting to MuseScore and back, you should be able to preserve the edits I made to the sheet. You can download the file I edited at the top of this topic.

Francesca

QuoteIf you make the changes from within Notepad, without exporting to MuseScore and back, you should be able to preserve the edits I made to the sheet. You can download the file I edited at the top of this topic.
Okay, I've made the changes in Notepad this time. The 2nd volta now seems to have an open hook, though...?