Series: Undertale/Deltarune
Game: Undertale
Console: PC
Title: sans.
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: XiaoMigros

[attachment deleted by admin]

XiaoMigros

Not too much to say here... I originally had both bass and sax playing at the same time but I didn't like how that sounded so I went for a mix instead
Also if anyone has an idea for a fun performance indication I am open

Kricketune54

• Don't forget a dynamic
• Very small visual thing (like almost not even worth mentioning) the note lines above the staff in m4 RH beat 2.0 and the grace note on 2.5 are so close they're touching. I clicked into the notes and this disappeared so maybe this happened when converting from MuseScore
   • Would note though that there seems to be some weird stuff going on with the spacing, I would just go through and click into the eight notes because they'll shift around a bit (and break some beams) but doing this will fix some close grace notes in a few areas.
• Not hearing the grace on m2 and m6 RH 3.0
• m10 you could just tie RH 2.5 to 3.0 as opposed to writing a tenuto
• m10 LH I think I personally prefer the Fb for beat 1, could have it be above the Ab but I feel like the bass instrument should take precedent here Ab sounds kind of weird to start this measure as the only pitch, given context of the key change
• m12 LH 2.5 this sax note is quite crunchy, I think I hear it more as a Eb than G, but personally think the Bb in the bassline would be better for this pitch
• Is there a point in extending the 8va to m13-14?

• Would it be worth marking spots like m1 RH 4.0 or m3 4.0 as LH? I assume that is the intention for the player given these are kind of large jumps for the RH to make for m2 beat 1.5 or m4 beat 1.5, was personally having a little trouble making the full chords with my RH playing all the notes

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 19, 2023, 09:05:18 PM
• Very small visual thing (like almost not even worth mentioning) the note lines above the staff in m4 RH beat 2.0 and the grace note on 2.5 are so close they're touching. I clicked into the notes and this disappeared so maybe this happened when converting from MuseScore
• Would note though that there seems to be some weird stuff going on with the spacing, I would just go through and click into the eight notes because they'll shift around a bit (and break some beams) but doing this will fix some close grace notes in a few areas.

I just clicked through everything and it fixed itself, thanks for spotting

• Not hearing the grace on m2 and m6 RH 3.0

m6 is a little more faint but I'm still hearing it in both, there's a noticeable slide in pitch on that beat

• m10 you could just tie RH 2.5 to 3.0 as opposed to writing a tenuto

Writing a full eighth there implies that the note should be held up until beat 3.5, which it isn't. What do you think is best to do here?

• m10 LH I think I personally prefer the Fb for beat 1

Assuming you mean m11: My thought here was to resolve the sax figure from the previous measure, but I agree with what you said so I changed it

• m12 LH 2.5 this sax note is quite crunchy, I think I hear it more as a Eb than G, but personally think the Bb in the bassline would be better for this pitch

Pretty sure the Gb is correct for the sax, helps to compare to the F at beat 3.5. I prefer the Gb over the Bb, but I'd be happy to change it if you have a strong opinion on it

• Is there a point in extending the 8va to m13-14?

Explained above m13

• Would it be worth marking spots like m1 RH 4.0 or m3 4.0 as LH? I assume that is the intention for the player given these are kind of large jumps for the RH to make for m2 beat 1.5 or m4 beat 1.5, was personally having a little trouble making the full chords with my RH playing all the notes

Honestly I'm not sure what's best here, I don't want to add too much clutter. I experimented with stem directions and various brackets but didn't really find something I was happy with..

Thanks for the feedback! Files updated.

Latios212

Quote from: XiaoMigros on April 16, 2023, 05:31:41 AM

Not too much to say here... I originally had both bass and sax playing at the same time but I didn't like how that sounded so I went for a mix instead
Also if anyone has an idea for a fun performance indication I am open

Great sheet! I think what you have works well. (No ideas for a fun performance indication since I still haven't finished the game...)

Just a couple of small suggestions to make:
- You can just use one slur at the end of m. 11 instead of having two different ones.
- It might be worth taking out the Cb in m. 6 beat 3.5. The triad sounds quite muddy in this range and the Cb is being played as part of the melody on beat 4 anyway.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Latios212 on May 21, 2023, 04:19:45 PM
Great sheet! I think what you have works well. (No ideas for a fun performance indication since I still haven't finished the game...)
empty it is then

- You can just use one slur at the end of m. 11 instead of having two different ones.
I remember reading up on this a while back and deciding that I usually prefer having several slurs, especially when they are facing different directions:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
If you have a particularly strong inclination to change it, I don't really mind, but I usually follow the first rule in the image rather than the second one.
- It might be worth taking out the Cb in m. 6 beat 3.5. The triad sounds quite muddy in this range and the Cb is being played as part of the melody on beat 4 anyway.

I remember liking the muddiness when I first arranged this, but I don't seem to like it as much anymore... removed it, good catch :D

Thanks for your time, files updated~

Latios212

Alrighty! No further comments, looks good to me ^^
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Quote from: XiaoMigros on May 20, 2023, 12:25:30 AM
m6 is a little more faint but I'm still hearing it in both, there's a noticeable slide in pitch on that beat
While I can tell there is a slight pitch slide/bend here, I am not hearing a Bb to B specifically. Given Latios didn't call it out I'll assume it's just me tho so can leave as is

QuoteWriting a full eighth there implies that the note should be held up until beat 3.5, which it isn't. What do you think is best to do here?
Relistened, I think initially sounded like held to beat 3.5, good to keep as is.

QuoteAssuming you mean m11: My thought here was to resolve the sax figure from the previous measure, but I agree with what you said so I changed it
yeah m11, sounds good.

QuotePretty sure the Gb is correct for the sax, helps to compare to the F at beat 3.5. I prefer the Gb over the Bb, but I'd be happy to change it if you have a strong opinion on it
I slowed down this section too much on playback, clearly not a Bb on relisten. However, I did pitch it up an octave and also two octaves and it was coming out closest sound like an Fn to me, but much sharper than the Fn on beat 3.5. Maybe give that a try/see what you think because it is sort of sharp enough an F where it could be F#/Gb and I'm just not discerning it well enough.
Explained above m13

QuoteHonestly I'm not sure what's best here, I don't want to add too much clutter. I experimented with stem directions and various brackets but didn't really find something I was happy with..
I snooped around a bit on other examples of this song, and it seems like sometimes different clefs are used such as going between m1 beat 4 and m2 beat 1.5, but it seems a bit jarring and hard to discern. You've probably got it the best way this could be written. The only thing I could think that maybe isn't adding too much clutter is putting "LH" under m1 RH beat 4.0 for example, but I don't see it as that necessary upon reexamination.

Let me know your call for m12 beat 2.5 LH but otherwise I don't think I have anything else!

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 22, 2023, 08:46:39 PMHowever, I did pitch it up an octave and also two octaves and it was coming out closest sound like an Fn to me, but much sharper than the Fn on beat 3.5.
I think I'm hearing that Fn too now, either way it makes more sense so I changed it

Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 22, 2023, 08:46:39 PMThe only thing I could think that maybe isn't adding too much clutter is putting "LH" under m1 RH beat 4.0 for example, but I don't see it as that necessary upon reexamination.
Thanks for the suggestion! I feel like adding that might do more evil than good, so I'll leave it as is. Thanks for the feedback!

Kricketune54

Sure! Accepting

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Kricketune54.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot