Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Sector X & Sector Z
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Nine Lives

[attachment deleted by admin]

NineLives

XiaoMigros

Hi, apologies for the wait!
  • m13 & m21 beat 4 are better written as Eb chords, that way you get a nice D-Eb-F-G flow
  • For m22, 24, etc you could add the L/R panned high Gs to the RH? Just to make this section feel a little less empty. If you want, you could put the notes in different octaves depending on which ear they play in as well, to add some variation. If you don't feel like doing this, then you should combine the last two rests in the respective measures to dotted halfs.
  • I feel like the melody is written too legato in some places, and it might be worth adding some more articulation to it or changing note durations. I'm just concerned a performer might get the wrong idea, and play everything super smooth. That said, if you'd rather keep it written in the current style I think that's okay too
  • The hairpins in the repeated section could be moved down ever so slightly, so they appear in the optical center between staves
That should be everything! I like the way you adapted this for piano, all your choices seem pretty solid :p

NineLives

I believe I've updated everything.
Quote from: XiaoMigros on May 23, 2023, 01:36:13 PM
  • For m22, 24, etc you could add the L/R panned high Gs to the RH? Just to make this section feel a little less empty. If you want, you could put the notes in different octaves depending on which ear they play in as well, to add some variation. If you don't feel like doing this, then you should combine the last two rests in the respective measures to dotted halfs.
I think I'd prefer it to be left alone, with the exception of the dotted half rests, of course. I feel it and the proceeding measure do a fine job of building up to the accent strikes.
Quote from: XiaoMigros on May 23, 2023, 01:36:13 PM
  • I feel like the melody is written too legato in some places, and it might be worth adding some more articulation to it or changing note durations. I'm just concerned a performer might get the wrong idea, and play everything super smooth. That said, if you'd rather keep it written in the current style I think that's okay too
For this, I made the downbeats match that of the left hand's, similar to how they are in the source. For measure 2 though, I'm wondering if how I wrote it is all right. Mainly, if the eighth rest is needed or not.

XiaoMigros

Quote from: NineLives on May 23, 2023, 02:42:52 PMI believe I've updated everything.I think I'd prefer it to be left alone, with the exception of the dotted half rests, of course. I feel it and the proceeding measure do a fine job of building up to the accent strikes.
That's fair, no problem!

Quote from: NineLives on May 23, 2023, 02:42:52 PMFor measure 2 though, I'm wondering if how I wrote it is all right. Mainly, if the eighth rest is needed or not.
I think it's best left out. It adds almost nothing to the sound while making the notation unnecessarily cluttered.

Quote from: XiaoMigros on May 23, 2023, 01:36:13 PMm13 & m21 beat 4 are better written as Eb chords, that way you get a nice D-Eb-F-G flow
I think there might have been a misunderstanding here, with beat 4 I meant the 3rd group of notes. Respelling the notes gives something like this:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

Everything else looks great

NineLives

Okay. Should have everything above taken care of!

XiaoMigros

Awesome! I have just one more point: Is there a reason why LH beat 1 in m13 & similar is dotted? I think it makes more sense to write this chord the same length as in other measures.

NineLives

Quote from: XiaoMigros on May 24, 2023, 07:44:58 AMIs there a reason why LH beat 1 in m13 & similar is dotted? I think it makes more sense to write this chord the same length as in other measures.
In the source it sounds a tad different. I believe the string part does hold for that long and the lower trombone-esque sound is held for a bit longer, so I wanted to extend the notes to sort of match the difference heard there. I feel it wraps up the section nicely too along with the crescendo.

XiaoMigros

Ah yeah you're right! I think the timpani still plays D here actually but that's not relevant for us here... I approve

Kricketune54

This is looking pretty good, only thing I wanted to say was m2 RH beat 2 you could add the G in the top layer but I know you already said you don't want to do 22,24, etc.

NineLives

Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 24, 2023, 07:25:58 PMThis is looking pretty good, only thing I wanted to say was m2 RH beat 2 you could add the G in the top layer but I know you already said you don't want to do 22,24, etc.
Yeah. I'd rather keep it out for consistency's sake.

Kricketune54

Quote from: NineLives on May 24, 2023, 07:45:13 PMYeah. I'd rather keep it out for consistency's sake.

Okay! *insert Genshin Impact screenshot* Accepted

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Kricketune54.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot