[MUL] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - "Morpheel Battle (First Half)" by Bloop

Started by Zeta, April 09, 2023, 07:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Morpheel Battle (First Half)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Bloop

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bloop

Official OST title is "Boss Battle #3 (First Half)", but went with Morpheel Battle because it's what the song is most known for, and to keep in line with the other boss battle sheets on site.

Kricketune54

What a joy this must've been from an accidental standpoint

• m9 what's the little asterisk symbol above the E? Not familiar with that marking and I noted it was a custom addition to the expressions in this file
• m3 LH to me sounds like the D moves to the C#/Db, not, that it's a separate pitch introduced
• m4 LH I do hear a D here though
• m9 RH hearing a D under the Ab in this chord
• m26,28,30,32,34 and elsewhere LH beat 3.5 sounds like Db
• m27,29,31,33 and elsewhere the C sounds more like a Cb/Bn. Additoinally beat 3.5 sounds like Eb instead of F
• m35 and elsewhere tremolo - this drum is technically rolling between A's
• m40 it doesn't sound like there's a slur in the RH
• m43 beat 1.5 and 1.75 I think the Ab is An and the Bb is Bn
• m43 LH last two notes sound like En and D# no  D and Eb. Actually to clarify the D# sounds to descend to Dn on beat 4.75

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 11, 2023, 01:31:23 PM• m9 what's the little asterisk symbol above the E?
It points to a note in the bottom left corner (on page 1)

Bloop

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 11, 2023, 01:31:23 PM• m26,28,30,32,34 and elsewhere LH beat 3.5 sounds like Db
• m27,29,31,33 and elsewhere the C sounds more like a Cb/Bn. Additoinally beat 3.5 sounds like Eb instead of F
Wow, I really missed some stuff here haha. The Db I had in m27 etc should be an octave lower too. I do still hear beat 3.5 in those bars as an F instead of an Eb though.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 11, 2023, 01:31:23 PM• m35 and elsewhere tremolo - this drum is technically rolling between A's
Ah yeah, that's true, though they do sound weird on piano haha. I'll keep these as Db's so they fit a bit more as a bass note.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 11, 2023, 01:31:23 PM• m40 it doesn't sound like there's a slur in the RH
Do you mean that the slur from the grace note isn't necessary or the grace note itself? I usually place slurs at grace notes automatically, as they're usually hard to articulate differently. The grace note itself is there though.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 11, 2023, 01:31:23 PM• m43 beat 1.5 and 1.75 I think the Ab is An and the Bb is Bn
• m43 LH last two notes sound like En and D# no  D and Eb. Actually to clarify the D# sounds to descend to Dn on beat 4.75
Relistened to this part again, and I noticed I had some more stuff wrong than these things you mentioned (also in m42). The sequence makes more sense

Updated the other things too!

Kricketune54

Quote from: Bloop on April 16, 2023, 10:59:53 AMWow, I really missed some stuff here haha. The Db I had in m27 etc should be an octave lower too. I do still hear beat 3.5 in those bars as an F instead of an Eb though.
Hearing F now as well!

QuoteAh yeah, that's true, though they do sound weird on piano haha. I'll keep these as Db's so they fit a bit more as a bass note.
Okay, works for me
QuoteDo you mean that the slur from the grace note isn't necessary or the grace note itself? I usually place slurs at grace notes automatically, as they're usually hard to articulate differently. The grace note itself is there though.
Sorry I got to watch how I use this term - I was referring to the grace note. I'm honestly not hearing the grace note still but if you hear it I'll trust your judgement

QuoteRelistened to this part again, and I noticed I had some more stuff wrong than these things you mentioned (also in m42). The sequence makes more sense
Sounds good now

Few more items to fix/consider:

• You could add a G#/Ab grace note on the first RH note of m1, as the D is technically slid up to from this pitch
• m9 seems a little confusing as far as how to count why not have dotted quarter rest and an 8th rest in the lower LH layer instead of half rest? Maybe that's pedantic but felt like it took a bit of unnecessary mental effort to figure out how to count this measure otherwise. Maybe I'm
• m21 LH not hearing F# either sounds like just A# and C or a G instead of F#
• m42 LH beat 4.5 is a little hard to tell what's an 8th and what's a 16th. maybe widen the measure as a whole (push left with measure tool or add space to beginning of measure) so there is room to move some stuff around a bit on the beat in question.

Bloop

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 28, 2023, 12:27:19 PMOkay, works for me Sorry I got to watch how I use this term - I was referring to the grace note. I'm honestly not hearing the grace note still but if you hear it I'll trust your judgement
It was a late addition tbh because I didn't notice it at first too: it's in the piccolo panned pretty far left

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 28, 2023, 12:27:19 PM• m9 seems a little confusing as far as how to count why not have dotted quarter rest and an 8th rest in the lower LH layer instead of half rest? Maybe that's pedantic but felt like it took a bit of unnecessary mental effort to figure out how to count this measure otherwise.
The 9/8 here isn't a normal compound 3+3+3 time signature, but pretty much just a 4/4 + 1 extra 8th note, so I beamed it as such. I could add a text note 4+4+1 if needed, or change the time signature to 4/4+1/8 if needed?

Quote from: Kricketune54 on April 28, 2023, 12:27:19 PM• m21 LH not hearing F# either sounds like just A# and C or a G instead of F#
Yeah I'm having a hard time trying to hear it in the original now too, but I do feel like the F# fits. It's harmonically the same movement as m13 or 17 too, so if it's ok to leave it in for some extra power, I'd prefer keeping it ^^

Fixed the other things too!

Kricketune54

Quote from: Bloop on May 19, 2023, 12:49:02 PMIt was a late addition tbh because I didn't notice it at first too: it's in the piccolo panned pretty far left
I've tried and tried, still not hearing it, but I'll take your word.

QuoteThe 9/8 here isn't a normal compound 3+3+3 time signature, but pretty much just a 4/4 + 1 extra 8th note, so I beamed it as such. I could add a text note 4+4+1 if needed, or change the time signature to 4/4+1/8 if needed?
I suppose I'm good with keeping as is with no additional text. I appreciate the explanation for what is being represented by this time signature

QuoteYeah I'm having a hard time trying to hear it in the original now too, but I do feel like the F# fits. It's harmonically the same movement as m13 or 17 too, so if it's ok to leave it in for some extra power, I'd prefer keeping it ^^
Yeah that's fine to keep! Def fits harmonically

Approving

XiaoMigros

Nice work on this! I have some mainly visual-related points:
  • Maybe you could start 'Asuka Ota..' on a new line, so the composer text doesn't extend half way across the page?
  • Do you think it's better to use ties or slurs for the cross-hand tie? I think it's a little weird that the lines there look different. Also, the existing tie on the D collides with the note's dot
  • In m11-12 LH and similar, the tie would best end just before the stem, rather than go through it
  • It might be worth compressing the distance between systems on page 1, so that the asterisk note stays out of copyright territory
...and some non-visual related points:
  • In m4, I hear the low E in the LH played with a slight delay, and there might even be another chord of some sort played on the second beat (baritone range)
  • I think the Ab in m9 is best written as G#, fits better with the E and C (#5) that way
    Additionally, I think the low bass stabs sound more like G#s to me than Es, but I'm not sure
  • The LH's Fn in m11 sounds like there's a grace note preceding it
  • Do you think it's helpful to add a courtesy accidental to the LH C in m25?
  • m36 and similar: beat 3 of the LH sounds like An? maybe I'm mishearing this
  • m44: I think you could include some of the low bass instrument here if you wanted to, but leaving as is works too

Bloop

Quote from: XiaoMigros on May 27, 2023, 06:05:58 AM
  • Do you think it's better to use ties or slurs for the cross-hand tie? I think it's a little weird that the lines there look different.
I originally wanted to look for a solution that didn't use slurs, as the slurs are a bit thiccer than ties, but yeah the curve of slurs look better and are more easily adjustable. Fixed that!

• In m4, I hear the low E in the LH played with a slight delay, and there might even be another chord of some sort played on the second beat (baritone range)
Delayed the low E, and I don't think I hear another chord on beat 2, just a volume swell in the brass.

• I think the Ab in m9 is best written as G#, fits better with the E and C (#5) that way
    Additionally, I think the low bass stabs sound more like G#s to me than Es, but I'm not sure
I think I changed it to Ab so it's a bit easier to recognize interval-wise from the Bb-Db third before, but I realized harmonically it makes sense as a G# since it's sorta an E+ chord resolving to the A in m10. I kept the low bass as E's though, it's hard to make out an individual note and E's sound better than G#'s imo. I tried both E and G# too, but it sounded a bit too major-chord-ish.

• The LH's Fn in m11 sounds like there's a grace note preceding it
Do you mean the low double bass note? I think that might just be the double basses having a harder attack than the volume swell of the strings.

• Do you think it's helpful to add a courtesy accidental to the LH C in m25?
It might be, but I think it's clear enough the chord should be the same as in m21. Leaving it out also prevents the tie clashing with the courtesy natural (or the sharp if I flip the tie) :p

• m36 and similar: beat 3 of the LH sounds like An? maybe I'm mishearing this
Kricketune pointed that out too, but I preferred the Db's as a bass note, as the sudden An's sounded a bit weird imo. I'll play my "timpani is technically percussion" card as an argument haha

• m44: I think you could include some of the low bass instrument here if you wanted to, but leaving as is works too
I think I had it in a first draft of this too, but I left it out so the L.H. isn't too difficult to play and the focus can go to the R.H. instead.

Other things are fixed too, files are updated!

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Bloop on May 28, 2023, 04:21:03 AMI originally wanted to look for a solution that didn't use slurs, as the slurs are a bit thiccer than ties, but yeah the curve of slurs look better and are more easily adjustable. Fixed that!
Did you try using ties? They are less thick, but require a little more work adjusting...

Other stuff looks great, will accept once you get back to me on this

Bloop

Ties are forced to be horizontal I believe, unless you have a way of making them not-horizontal?

XiaoMigros

The tie tool lets me adjust them to the desired shape without any issue..

Bloop

Huh, dragging the handles up or down forces them to stay horizontal, but I can edit the specific coordinates of their starting and ending position. It'll be hard to create a nice curve in that way though. If you have an easier time trying to copy the current slurs placement with ties, feel free to do so, but personally I'm alright with the slurs too ^^

XiaoMigros

I was (somehow) able to adjust the ties via their handles, so I did. Everything looks good now so I'll accept!