News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

[PC] Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling - "Make it Crisbee!" by cacabish

Started by Zeta, June 19, 2022, 03:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling
Console: PC
Title: Make it Crisbee!
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: cacabish

[attachment deleted by admin]

cacabish

XiaoMigros

• Your use of slurs in this sheet looks somewhat inconsistent (for example, why is m1 different to m9). Could you go over those? I think using them works well here but they look a little uneven at the moment.
  • I would add slurs to the LH as well, as that's how this style accompaniment pattern is usually written.
  • m10: I think the tied staccato 8th on b3 can be replaced by a tenuto on the preceding note. At least, that's how I notate stuff like this. Adding staccato to a tied note is relatively uncommon.
Nice Sheet

cacabish

Quote from: XiaoMigros on June 20, 2022, 04:58:11 AM
  • Your use of slurs in this sheet looks somewhat inconsistent (for example, why is m1 different to m9). Could you go over those? I think using them works well here but they look a little uneven at the moment.
Arguably the hardest part of this piece for me. :P I went with strict accuracy over consistency here, so I can just make it more consistent instead.

• I would add slurs to the LH as well, as that's how this style accompaniment pattern is usually written.
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. ??? To me, the only measure that would have any benefit from a slur would be m.16 since the LH isn't jumping. Is that all you were talking about? Or not? If you'll clarify this, I'll happily reconsider this!

• m10: I think the tied staccato 8th on b3 can be replaced by a tenuto on the preceding note. At least, that's how I notate stuff like this. Adding staccato to a tied note is relatively uncommon.
Yeaaaah, I flipped back and forth between the tenuto and the staccato-tie thing a couple times. So, I'll just flip it back! No prob!

That should be everything addressed for now. I've updated the files. Thanks so much for your feedback, Xiao! :D

XiaoMigros

Quote from: cacabish on June 20, 2022, 10:01:37 AMArguably the hardest part of this piece for me. :P I went with strict accuracy over consistency here, so I can just make it more consistent instead.
Ah, that makes more sense. In that case I'm fine with leaving it how it is!

Quote from: cacabish on June 20, 2022, 10:01:37 AMI'm not quite sure what you mean here. ??? To me, the only measure that would have any benefit from a slur would be m.16 since the LH isn't jumping.
Here I meant adding slurs between the low bass notes and off-beat accompaniment chords. You're right, the performer won't be able to literally slur the notes when playing but it's still a helpful performance direction nonetheless.

Thanks for the speedy response  ;D

Bloop

Sorry for the wait on this one! I actually don't have that much to say about this. I could second Xiao's recommendation of slurring the L.H., or alternatively adding tenuto marks to beats 1 and 3, but leaving it as is is fine too. If you choose the tenutos, you could put a 'simile' after 2 or 3 measures to not clutter the sheet too much with articulations.
Another suggestion I could give is maybe changing the way you write some of the not-staccato-but-not-yet-technically-a-full-note notes in the R.H. by ending a slur on them and starting the next note with a new slur, like these places in m3 and m10:
You cannot view this attachment.
The break between the slurs should give the suggestion that the notes shouldn't be connected, which makes for a more natural break than some exact rest placement.

All of these are just suggestions though, if you'd rather keep everything as is, I'll still approve it then ^^

cacabish

Quote from: Bloop on July 15, 2022, 10:52:43 AMI could second Xiao's recommendation of slurring the L.H., or alternatively adding tenuto marks to beats 1 and 3, but leaving it as is is fine too. If you choose the tenutos, you could put a 'simile' after 2 or 3 measures to not clutter the sheet too much with articulations.
The tenuto-simile idea is a good one! I've gone ahead an implemented that one as I think that keeps the sheet nice and clean, compared to the slurs.

Quote from: Bloop on July 15, 2022, 10:52:43 AMAnother suggestion I could give is maybe changing the way you write some of the not-staccato-but-not-yet-technically-a-full-note notes in the R.H. by ending a slur on them and starting the next note with a new slur, like these places in m3 and m10:
The break between the slurs should give the suggestion that the notes shouldn't be connected, which makes for a more natural break than some exact rest placement.
That's actually a really, really good idea. Nice and subtle, but it gets the job done! I've gone ahead and implemented it.

Alright Bloop, I've addressed both points of feedback and updated the files! If you have more, do let me know! :D

Bloop

The pdf is a little outdated, but looks good! You could also change m7 beat 2 in the R.H. to a quarter note like in m3, I think they're the same length, but otherwise it's fine ^^

cacabish

Quote from: Bloop on July 21, 2022, 06:05:13 AMThe pdf is a little outdated
Huh. Don't know what happened there. Whatever, I've fixed it!

Quote from: Bloop on July 21, 2022, 06:05:13 AMYou could also change m7 beat 2 in the R.H. to a quarter note like in m3, I think they're the same length
Good point. Done! :)

Libera

Clean sheet.  I'd just recommend breaking the beam between beats 3/4 in bars 2/6.

The only other thing is that the slur use here seems a bit of an overkill to me, but I don't really mind that much.

cacabish

Quote from: Libera on July 26, 2022, 10:45:30 AMI'd just recommend breaking the beam between beats 3/4 in bars 2/6.
Not a problem! I can do that. Files updated!

Quote from: Libera on July 26, 2022, 10:45:30 AMThe only other thing is that the slur use here seems a bit of an overkill to me, but I don't really mind that much.
So, what would you prefer instead? I'm just curious.

Libera

Quote from: cacabish on July 26, 2022, 09:38:16 PMSo, what would you prefer instead? I'm just curious.

I just think that articulations work best when they show contrast, and putting slurs over pretty much everything in the RH doesn't really help with contrasting anything in the right hand.  That being said, it does help to show the difference between the left and right hands, which is why I'm ok with it, even if I probably wouldn't write all these slurs in myself.

Anyway, it's certainly nothing worth delaying accepting the sheet over.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Libera.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot