News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[Wii] Xenoblade Chronicles - "Alcamoth, Imperial Capital" by Latios212

Started by Zeta, April 28, 2022, 03:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Xeno
Game: Xenoblade Chronicles
Console: Wii
Title: Alcamoth, Imperial Capital
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

We have Eryth Sea and Prison Island, now get ready for... :P

A couple of notes:
- The 16th note octaves are definitely doable at this speed, but if people think they're too cumbersome I'd be okay converting them to single notes - they're far more annoying to play than anything else written here.
- On the second page I haven't used the left hand to mirror the bass drum rhythms as much as I did in the intro, but I wouldn't mind doing so in a few places.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on April 28, 2022, 03:31:21 PM- The 16th note octaves are definitely doable at this speed, but if people think they're too cumbersome I'd be okay converting them to single notes - they're far more annoying to play than anything else written here.

I would get rid of them, personally.  Particularly with the added harmony in bar 10 (more on that later) it gets pretty awkward play, especially in comparison to the rest of the piece.

Quote from: Latios212 on April 28, 2022, 03:31:21 PM- On the second page I haven't used the left hand to mirror the bass drum rhythms as much as I did in the intro, but I wouldn't mind doing so in a few places.

The places I noticed (as moments where it might be nice to add more in) are in bars 27-28 and the final bar.

Ok, rest of feedback:

-The organ part in bars 5-6/9-10 has harmony almost always, like you wrote in at the end of bar 10.  Is there a reason to only have it there?  I figure it'd be nice to include some of it at least, especially if you're getting rid of the octave doubling.
-Speaking of that harmony, the B at the end of bar 10 sounds like a B# to me.
-I don't follow the tremolo in bar 6.  Why is it there?
-The doubling of in the chords in bars 14-15/18 seems a bit like overkill to me, especially compared to the surrounding bars.  Maybe just get rid of the lower A# and G# (respectively)?
-I think the chord at the start of bar 26 is F#m7/A rather than A.  Might be nice to have the F# in there, maybe instead of the A in the RH.

Sheet looks really good.

Latios212

Quote from: Latios212 on April 28, 2022, 03:31:21 PM- The 16th note octaves are definitely doable at this speed, but if people think they're too cumbersome I'd be okay converting them to single notes - they're far more annoying to play than anything else written here.
Quote from: Libera on May 31, 2022, 12:17:18 PMI would get rid of them, personally.  Particularly with the added harmony in bar 10 (more on that later) it gets pretty awkward play, especially in comparison to the rest of the piece.

-The organ part in bars 5-6/9-10 has harmony almost always, like you wrote in at the end of bar 10.  Is there a reason to only have it there?  I figure it'd be nice to include some of it at least, especially if you're getting rid of the octave doubling.
Part of the reason I only wrote it in at the end of 10 was that was the only place I could confidently place it... are you hearing similar parallel intervals for the rest of the part? I will say that organ or organ-sounding parts tend to drive me a little crazy, although another thing to consider is that adding parallel harmonies underneath throughout the part would make it probably just as annoying as octaves (or even more so). I've just left in single notes for the rest for now plus harmonies on beat 1 of m. 5 and 9 - let me know what you think!

Quote from: Latios212 on April 28, 2022, 03:31:21 PM- On the second page I haven't used the left hand to mirror the bass drum rhythms as much as I did in the intro, but I wouldn't mind doing so in a few places.
Quote from: Libera on May 31, 2022, 12:17:18 PMThe places I noticed (as moments where it might be nice to add more in) are in bars 27-28 and the final bar.
You got it~

Quote from: Libera on May 31, 2022, 12:17:18 PM-Speaking of that harmony, the B at the end of bar 10 sounds like a B# to me.
That was already sharp, but perhaps the prior sharp being at the beginning of the measure makes misreading it easy. In any case, not a problem with the above edits as the sharp is displayed there now.

Quote from: Libera on May 31, 2022, 12:17:18 PM-I don't follow the tremolo in bar 6.  Why is it there?
The percussion does a buildup there. Looking at it again I can see how the intention isn't super clear so I've moved the mp from m. 5 to m. 7 and put a crescendo over that part in m. 6. Does that make more sense?

Quote from: Libera on May 31, 2022, 12:17:18 PM-The doubling of in the chords in bars 14-15/18 seems a bit like overkill to me, especially compared to the surrounding bars.  Maybe just get rid of the lower A# and G# (respectively)?
Yup, sounds good!

Quote from: Libera on May 31, 2022, 12:17:18 PM-I think the chord at the start of bar 26 is F#m7/A rather than A.  Might be nice to have the F# in there, maybe instead of the A in the RH.
Listening to it again I still hear just an A chord. Maybe you're carrying over the F from the previous B chord? By the time beat 2 rolls around I'm pretty sure I don't hear anything that's not part of an A chord.

Thanks for taking a detailed look! I've uploaded new files.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on June 01, 2022, 07:10:35 PMPart of the reason I only wrote it in at the end of 10 was that was the only place I could confidently place it... are you hearing similar parallel intervals for the rest of the part? I will say that organ or organ-sounding parts tend to drive me a little crazy, although another thing to consider is that adding parallel harmonies underneath throughout the part would make it probably just as annoying as octaves (or even more so). I've just left in single notes for the rest for now plus harmonies on beat 1 of m. 5 and 9 - let me know what you think!

Yeah I hear similar parallel intervals for most of the rest of it, but I agree it would also get really annoying to play.  It's a little weird that the harmony comes in like that only in the final bar whereas it's single notes everywhere else, although the extra harmony in 5/9 is better now.

Everything else looks good I think.

Latios212

Cool, yeah thanks for taking another look at that part. The harmony does stick out to me a little more where I wrote in the thirds, so I think I'll just leave it as it is now as a good balance between playability and sound.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Static

On subsequent loops, the instrumentation m11-12 is different - a bit darker and heavier in the lower end. I guess it's fine to leave it since the notes themselves are basically identical, and you don't have room anyway.

Yeah other than that I don't have anything to say, this looks good. I'll accept.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Static.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot