News:

Want to request some new sheets? Head on over here first!

Main Menu

[N64] Paper Mario - "Shy Guy's Toy Box" by Bloop

Started by Zeta, March 31, 2022, 04:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Paper Mario
Game: Paper Mario
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: Shy Guy's Toy Box
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Bloop

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bloop

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Dekkadeci

Listened to the original and your transcription (had to use the MIDI since your .MUS bizarrely wouldn't play back):
  • The melody of Beats 3.5-4.5 of Bar 2 should be F-G-A instead of your E-F-G.
  • I hear much stronger parallels between Bars 1-2 and Bars 7-8 in the original than what you've notated. I'd appreciate swapping out Bars 7-8's melody to the Bars 1-2-like melody instead of the line you have because the Bars 1-2-like melody is plain louder on my laptop (Beats 3-4 of Bar 8 is good).

Bloop

Quote from: Latios212 on April 06, 2022, 04:04:56 PMShouldn't this be "Shy Guy's Toy Box" (with an apostrophe)?
tbh that was something i was doubting about lol
According to vgmdb, the normal English release uses Guy's, but on site we mostly use the English (Nintendo Power) titles which has Guys. I probably though too much about it and went strictly with the Nintendo Power version, but Guy's probably sounds more logical :p

Quote from: Dekkadeci on April 08, 2022, 09:54:21 AM
  • I hear much stronger parallels between Bars 1-2 and Bars 7-8 in the original than what you've notated. I'd appreciate swapping out Bars 7-8's melody to the Bars 1-2-like melody instead of the line you have because the Bars 1-2-like melody is plain louder on my laptop (Beats 3-4 of Bar 8 is good).
I personally hear the xylophone part a bit louder, but aside from that, I intended having the two different melodies here. In both two bars, the xylophone and glockenspiel play a melody at the same time, but it's not possible or comfortable to arrange that for piano, so I chose the glockenspiel part for the first two and the xylophone part for the second two (in the second two bars I added the glockenspiel at the end to keep some momentum going). Fixed your other point however!

Static

• Regarding m1-2, I think it'd be better to use the xylophone melody there like you did in m3-8. I hear it more prominently, and it sounds kinda weird to me to change the melody around within the same section. If you'd rather keep it that's fine too though.
  • Maybe include a performance direction to play this with loose, imprecise rhythm. The original track is deliberately out of sync to mimic the sound of a children's band (or a shy guy band).
Everything else looks good

Bloop

Quote from: Static on April 10, 2022, 10:32:05 AM
  • Regarding m1-2, I think it'd be better to use the xylophone melody there like you did in m3-8. I hear it more prominently, and it sounds kinda weird to me to change the melody around within the same section. If you'd rather keep it that's fine too though.
Yeah I still think I'd prefer to keep it as is for pretty much the same reason as I gave Dekkadeci :p I also think the function of the xylophone differs enough between m1-2 and 3-4 that it doesn't really need to be one connected phrase.

Quote from: Static on April 10, 2022, 10:32:05 AM
  • Maybe include a performance direction to play this with loose, imprecise rhythm. The original track is deliberately out of sync to mimic the sound of a children's band (or a shy guy band).
I didn't really notice this at first haha, added an asterisk to the "Playful" with an explanation below the page!

Static

Latios212

Just from the standpoint of quickly listening to the original, I'm fine with m. 1-2 as is.

Other than that, would it be better to flip the layers in beats 3-4 of m. 8? There's the opposing stems, as well as it's not clear that the voice from beats 1-2 resolves to the half note currently

Everything else looks good!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Oh I actually had those the other way around at first, but changed them to this because I thought the resolving of the voice from b1-2 wasn't clear either, haha. Maybe I could try adding a half rest underneath beats 1-2 so there's an up-stem part and a down-stem part?

EDIT: Went with re-switching the layers and shrinking the noteheads of the extra part, after a short back an forth on discord ^^

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot