Series: Undertale
Game: Undertale
Console: PC
Title: CORE
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: XiaoMigros

[attachment deleted by admin]

XiaoMigros

I'm guessing JesterMusician initially had a sheet up for this too.. Here's my version!

Bloop

dancing blooper
[close]

-The other sheets on site don't stylize the game name in capitals, so for consistency it's probably better to use "Undertale"
-You tend to place some dynamic markings a bit far right (for example the mp in m5 and the mf in m13): it looks a bit better to have them centered under the first note.
-Also recurring in this piece, when the melody comes in, you chose to keep the R.H. chords going and drop out the bass. I personally think it might be better to drop out the chords and leave the bass going, instead: the bass makes the arrangement sound a bit fuller, and has just as much (if not more) rhythmic information as the chords.
-m44: I believe the D# in the R.H. on beat 1 should be a Dn
-m51: I don't think I hear the B in the R.H. here, but I do hear an E somewhere.
-m55: G# in the L.H. on beat 2.75 should be E.
-m56: You can combine the two layered 8th rests on beat 4 into one 8th rest in it's normal position.
-m84: Kinda same thing as m44, I think the E# should be En.
-m91: Also kinda same thing as m51, I don't specifically hear the C#, but I do hear an F#.
-m92: The Cn's on beat 3 in the R.H. should be B#'s (third in G# major)
-Maybe it makes sense to add a repeat bar (or preferably a D.C.) at the end? The ost versions don't include a repeat, but the in-game version does of course.

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Bloop on April 08, 2022, 11:07:01 AM-The other sheets on site don't stylize the game name in capitals, so for consistency it's probably better to use "Undertale"
Fixed, I like consistency

Quote from: Bloop on April 08, 2022, 11:07:01 AM-You tend to place some dynamic markings a bit far right (for example the mp in m5 and the mf in m13): it looks a bit better to have them centered
This is me being lazy and relying on MuseScores's default placement (and Kricketune pointed out similar issues in my other submission). I've gone over placement of all dynamics now, should be good.

Quote from: Bloop on April 08, 2022, 11:07:01 AM-Also recurring in this piece, when the melody comes in, you chose to keep the R.H. chords going and drop out the bass. I personally think it might be better to drop out the chords and leave the bass going, instead: the bass makes the arrangement sound a bit fuller, and has just as much (if not more) rhythmic information as the chords.
Interesting, but this works. Fixed!

Quote from: Bloop on April 08, 2022, 11:07:01 AM-m84: Kinda same thing as m44, I think the E# should be En.
-m91: Also kinda same thing as m51, I don't specifically hear the C#, but I do hear an F#.
-m92: The Cn's on beat 3 in the R.H. should be B#'s (third in G# major)
Makes sense, this section was basically copied from its repeat section which was in a different key, hence the same hearing errors and the new enharmonic errors :P

Quote from: Bloop on April 08, 2022, 11:07:01 AM-Maybe it makes sense to add a repeat bar (or preferably a D.C.) at the end?
Added a D.C. marking at the end. I haven't played this game myself so I've just been going by the official OST versions to make arrangements, and for the most part they don't loop.

Files have been updated!

Bloop

Great, looking good! Just one small thing that popped up and one/two things I didn't notice before:

-m52 and 92: On beat 3-4, the bass goes to A# in m52 and B# in m92.
-m91: The dot from the G# in the R.H. is touching the note below. You can use the dot tool You cannot view this attachment. in special tools to move the dut up a bit, but it may look cleaner to switch the places of the notes using the note mover tool You cannot view this attachment. to switch the places of the first and second layer around, as moving the dot up could technically be misread as a staccato dot for the whole note chord (even though it's very unlikely lol)

Bloop

Awesome!
You cannot view this attachment.

Static

Looks pretty good
  • m28/68 RH beat 1: The mordent should have a natural sign over it; it moves to D natural, not D#. In Finale, the easiest way to do it is like this:
    Quote from: Static on March 20, 2022, 01:40:57 PM
    • Select the Articulation Tool, and in the Articulation Selection menu, click "Create..." at the bottom lefthand side. This will open the Articulation Designer
    • In the Articulation Designer, under Symbols, click "Main..." and select the small natural symbol - not the normal-sized one (in my version of Finale 2014, this is listed as #233, it may be different for you). Do the same thing for "Flipped...". You do not need to do anything else in this menu, so click OK at the bottom.
    • Then, select the new articulation you made from the Articulation Selection menu and place it above the mordent, making manual adjustments as necessary. The playback should work automatically.
    Or, just do it in MuseScore, it might be easier that way. If you have any issues lmk and I can help you with that
  • m29-30/69-70 RH: It's faint, but I hear additional harmony in these measures:
    m29-30 RH
    [close]
  • m37-52: If you wanted to, you could put this section in B minor. The similar section at m77 is actually in C#m, but at m37 it's transposed down. I also think it's plenty readable without changing the key, though, so don't feel like you have to.
  • m52 LH beats 3-4: Bass goes to A# here.
  • m55 LH beats 1-2: Maybe put tenutos or a slur over this part, so it's more obvious they should be played longer. It's the only measure in the piece where that figure isn't played staccato, so it could easily be missed.
  • m57-60 RH: Maybe put that synth voice here instead of the chords? Either way's fine though.
  • m76 RH: The lower layer should be a B, and the top layer should be two half notes, F# on beat 1, then D# on beat 3.
  • m92 LH beats 3-4: Bass goes to B# here.

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Static on April 16, 2022, 07:46:11 AMm28/68 RH beat 1: The mordent should have a natural sign over it; it moves to D natural, not D#.
Ah yeah, I have it altered in my MuseScore file, but as it's only possible there with an extensive (and messy) workaround I removed it before the Finale import and forgot to readd it. Your instructions worked, as did playback, just tell me if there's something wrong with how I positioned the signs.

Quote from: Static on April 16, 2022, 07:46:11 AMm29-30/69-70 RH: It's faint, but I hear additional harmony in these measures...
I thought there might be a consistent second voice there.. added!

Quote from: Static on April 16, 2022, 07:46:11 AMm52 LH beats 3-4: Bass goes to A# here.
Hmm, I have it already like this in my file. Maybe I uploaded an older version by mistake. Should be good now regardless.

m55: Added tenutos

Quote from: Static on April 16, 2022, 07:46:11 AMm57-60 RH: Maybe put that synth voice here instead of the chords? Either way's fine though.
I thought about trying to include the synth, but I thought breaking off the chords early might be a bit odd. If both works, I think I'll leave it as is.

Quote from: Static on April 16, 2022, 07:46:11 AMm76 RH: The lower layer should be a B, and the top layer should be two half notes, F# on beat 1, then D# on beat 3.
Ah, I think I missed the B when notating, and then I assumed that the D# started on the beat and got louder towards the end. Fixed!

Quote from: Static on April 16, 2022, 07:46:11 AMm92 LH beats 3-4: Bass goes to B# here.
As with m52, I already changed this in my file.

mastersuperfan

A couple quick thoughts as I glance by:
- Double barlines at key changes?
- At places like m25-26, m33, m35, etc. where the melody isn't moving, you could probably throw some of the chords back into the RH for a couple beats; right now it feels a little empty IMO.
- I think the LH in m37-52/77-92 could be more rhythmically interesting; maybe try experimenting with a syncopated rhythm similar to one of the other accompaniment parts during that section?
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Static

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 18, 2022, 02:32:04 PM- Double barlines at key changes?
Another thing about the key change back to C#m at m53; there shouldn't be naturals here. It should just be the 4 sharps. In Finale, if you have a keychange from Bm to Emaj (or Dmaj to C#m), it will add the extra naturals for some reason, so ensure they're both minor or major.
There's also an option to cancel outgoing key signatures in Document Options, but this will remove the naturals at m37 also, so don't do that in this case.

The above changes look good, I'll just wait for you to address msf's points and then we'll be done here

XiaoMigros

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 18, 2022, 02:32:04 PMA couple quick thoughts as I glance by:
- Double barlines at key changes?
oops, I'm used to those being automatic. Fixed!

I incorporated your other advice too, I hope I have it how you envisioned!

Quote from: Static on April 18, 2022, 02:42:49 PMAnother thing about the key change back to C#m at m53; there shouldn't be naturals here.
Agreed. I barely worked out how to change the keysig at all yesterday, but after some more tampering it should be sorted now.

Thanks both for your time!

Static

All looks great, last thing from me are the slurs in the m37/77 sections; the contours should be less round. Basically, they should all look like m52/92, or as close to it as possible.

XiaoMigros

I did my best to fix them, while they are still somewhat round, it's much less excessive now and better fits with the notes. If they need more work I'd be happy to go over them again, and if not I hope the sheet is ready!

Static