News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[MUL] Dark Souls II - "Majula" by Libera

Started by Zeta, March 20, 2022, 06:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Dark Souls II
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Majula
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Libera

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Libera

Static

Looks great, just a few little things
  • m14 RH: There is no F# here
  • m29 RH beat 2.5: There's another E (top space) played by the harp here.
  • m30/38: I can't help but wonder what this would sound like with the harp runs here, probably way too muddy I bet. I think your arrangement works better without them.
  • m31 RH: The C is played on the downbeat with the rest of the notes here, only in this measure though.
  • m41 LH beat 2.5: I think I hear a A (above the staff) played by the harp here.
  • m42 RH beat 1: The A sounds like it's played earlier than the other notes (and the rest of the notes are played all at once), so maybe it'd be better to write it with a grace note like the chords in m32-38.
  • m43/45 LH beat 3: Sounds like the harp plays a G (above the staff) here.
  • m44 LH: Flip the tie here
  • m46 LH: I hear this part a little differently (there are more notes after the G but I'm having a hard time making them out):

Libera

Quote from: Static on March 21, 2022, 12:13:47 PMLooks great, just a few little things
  • m14 RH: There is no F# here
  • m29 RH beat 2.5: There's another E (top space) played by the harp here.
  • m31 RH: The C is played on the downbeat with the rest of the notes here, only in this measure though.
  • m41 LH beat 2.5: I think I hear a A (above the staff) played by the harp here.
  • m42 RH beat 1: The A sounds like it's played earlier than the other notes (and the rest of the notes are played all at once), so maybe it'd be better to write it with a grace note like the chords in m32-38.
  • m43/45 LH beat 3: Sounds like the harp plays a G (above the staff) here.
  • m44 LH: Flip the tie here

All this should be fixed.  Some of the note changes are really quiet in the original and I'm not super sure on some of these changes, but since they make sense and the left hand flow a little better I went with them.

Quote from: Static on March 21, 2022, 12:13:47 PMm30/38: I can't help but wonder what this would sound like with the harp runs here, probably way too muddy I bet. I think your arrangement works better without them.

Yeah I don't think they work very well on piano.

Quote from: Static on March 21, 2022, 12:13:47 PMm46 LH: I hear this part a little differently (there are more notes after the G but I'm having a hard time making them out):

Hmm I don't hear this note on beat 1.5 at all, or any of the notes after the D/G.  I added in the G but kept the D because I still want the lower D to come through in the second half of that bar, even if it's not in the harp part.

Thanks for checking, files updated.

Static

Alright, everything looks good to me. I'm still hearing those other notes in m46, but they are pretty faint and what you chose instead works nicely. I approve

Also, one thing you could add if you want is a downwards arpeggio line at the start of m25/29, I just noticed that delay while listening again. But it's fine as it is too.

Latios212

Quote from: Static on March 27, 2022, 02:11:40 PMAlright, everything looks good to me. I'm still hearing those other notes in m46, but they are pretty faint and what you chose instead works nicely. I approve
I'm having a hard time making them out, so what is currently there or what Static had is fine by me.

I just have a couple of suggestions before we finish up:
- The slur directions for the lower RH layer on page 1, they're a bit awkward at times but mostly passable. Mostly just want to say that they would certainly be better flipped downwards in m. 13-14 where they directly conflict with the upper layer.
- In measure 45 I think it would make sense to write the high G from the (harp?) an octave up; it really stands out like the high A and G in the following measure.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Those changes sound good to me.  (We talked a little about the slurs in bars 13-14 on discord).

Quote from: Latios212 on March 30, 2022, 05:56:40 PMI'm having a hard time making them out, so what is currently there or what Static had is fine by me.

I think I'll just leave it as is since I can't really hear anything definite enough to write in.

Thanks for checking, new files up.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot