Game: Kirby Star Allies
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: World of Miracles - Planet Popstar
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Kricketune54

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kricketune54

Title sourced from https://vgmdb.net/album/81916

I wouldn't call this a non-faithful arrangement - but I really played around a lot with the LH as far both representing the numerous very ethereal/spacey pitches and keeping them within a hand span distance throughout this relatively short piece.  Beats 3-4 of m4 were the hardest to figure out what to do with lol

Kricketune54

Made a fairly big edit to this and doubled all of the note values; I had gone back and forth on how I was feeling the tempo and the rhythms, and realized this was far too slow at quarter = 63.  It reads a bit cleaner now at the problem measure aka new m8.

Perhaps others don't know this but Finale does have the ability to change a group of notes duration value (back when I used MuseScore I knew how to do this).  I had previously asked others and it didn't seem possible at the time, so I am sharing that knowledge today

Spoiler
[close]

Edit 2/14: Made a few small changes, added an A to m12 LH, and changed the Db I had at m8 to a C# to better fit the chord there.  I also fixed the beaming of m11.  I also changed around the chords for m13-14 a bit

Latios212

Sorry for the wait! Yes I think this tempo is good. You've done a good job with the chords, both transcribing and spelling, and in particular getting the root notes correct. The suggestions I have are pretty minor :P

The chords!
- I would recommend including an F# above the triad in m. 1 to emphasize the maj7 sound of the G chord. Measure 5 could also be written in the same way.
- I feel like the chord in m. 2 could be written the same as in m. 4/6. Is there a reason it's different? (Not that there's anything wrong with that inversion)
- I would recommend adding an F# to m. 8 LH beat 1 to fill out the texture a bit more
- I think the chord in m. 13 is missing a Bb, either substituting or adding on top of the A in the left hand. Similar for m. 14 adding one on the bottom may sound good

Other stuff about the presentation:
- Measure spacing wonky in the first system
- Would recommend 8va over m. 2/6
- Using a dotted eighth in m. 10 beat 1 RH is a bit... odd? Like why that specific duration especially if we're using pedal?
- Shift both the left and right ends of the 8va over to the right a bit in m. 12
- Backslash at the end of the URL
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Quote from: Latios212 on February 19, 2022, 03:08:47 PMYou've done a good job with the chords, both transcribing and spelling, and in particular getting the root notes correct

Yay  ;D

Quote- I would recommend including an F# above the triad in m. 1 to emphasize the maj7 sound of the G chord. Measure 5 could also be written in the same way.
- I feel like the chord in m. 2 could be written the same as in m. 4/6. Is there a reason it's different? (Not that there's anything wrong with that inversion)

My thinking was that I wanted to emphasize the progression raised third in m5, and then the raised second in m6, resolving to G# in m7.  To have that progression of B, A, G# from m5-7 on the LH top note.  The reason I didn't try this progression with the first four measures is that I wanted to make sure that that G pitch was the bottom.  The F# has been added to m1, and I added the F# to m5... now unfortunately adding to m5 means the chord with the B staying on top is not really possible for most hands to do, so I moved the parentheses from the RH to the LH.  Though not sure if that is the perfect solution.  My idea now is to have the RH sort of hold the B down until it has to reach the F# above the staff.

Quote- I would recommend adding an F# to m. 8 LH beat 1 to fill out the texture a bit more
Added!

QuoteI think the chord in m. 13 is missing a Bb, either substituting or adding on top of the A in the left hand. Similar for m. 14 adding one on the bottom may sound good

Yeah I had a Bb in there on m13 originally but wasn't super sure about it. Added it in now though, as well as m14.

Quote- Measure spacing wonky in the first system
Fixed seems like it was m1 being culprit
Quote- Would recommend 8va over m. 2/6
Added
Quote- Using a dotted eighth in m. 10 beat 1 RH is a bit... odd? Like why that specific duration especially if we're using pedal?
Oh that was actually supposed to be a dotted quarter, which may have seemed less confusing had it been correct.  Should it be of longer length?
Quote- Shift both the left and right ends of the 8va over to the right a bit in m. 12
Not sure I've got this figured out correctly... but I stretched both ends out.
Quote- Backslash at the end of the URL 
Man idk what it is Finale has not liked the credits for every Star Allies sheet I've done lol.  fixed, thanks!

Latios212

Quote from: Kricketune54 on February 20, 2022, 06:52:38 PMMy thinking was that I wanted to emphasize the progression raised third in m5, and then the raised second in m6, resolving to G# in m7.  To have that progression of B, A, G# from m5-7 on the LH top note.  The reason I didn't try this progression with the first four measures is that I wanted to make sure that that G pitch was the bottom.  The F# has been added to m1, and I added the F# to m5...
Gotcha, yeah that's fine!

Quote from: Kricketune54 on February 20, 2022, 06:52:38 PM(...) now unfortunately adding to m5 means the chord with the B staying on top is not really possible for most hands to do, so I moved the parentheses from the RH to the LH.  Though not sure if that is the perfect solution.  My idea now is to have the RH sort of hold the B down until it has to reach the F# above the staff.
Ah I had figured that pedal would be used for this piece, in which case it wouldn't really matter if you wrote or omitted that B in the left hand (you could alternatively just lower it to look the same as m. 1 as well).

Speaking of pedal though...
Quote from: Kricketune54 on February 20, 2022, 06:52:38 PMOh that was actually supposed to be a dotted quarter, which may have seemed less confusing had it been correct.  Should it be of longer length?
I would just suggest a whole note for simplicity.

Other things (including 8va placement) look good! :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Just so it's more clear I added con pedale to the beginning. Updated other stuff  :)

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Generally looks pretty great, but some of the chords are missing extensions/voicings that make them sound really lush in the original:
  • m8 beat 1: Missing a C# - I'd recommend adding this to the LH above the A. You could also add extra notes (D, F#, and/or A) to beat 3, but it should sound thick enough as-is with the pedal.
  • m9 beat 1: Missing a D and A (Gm9 chord). You might want to play around with the voicings here to find what sounds the best to you on piano, but the A-Bb clash is crucial (voice this with a major 7th or minor 2nd interval - minor 9th can sometimes sound off). It's OK to move the voices to different octaves, you've already done that in other places anyway.
  • m11: If you want some really lush-sounding chords, try to focus on the middle register instead of just the bass note in the LH and all the chord tones clustered together with the melody. This is surprisingly playable (if you have slightly large hands like me I guess):

Sure it's not the exact voicing used in the original, but in the context of a piano arrangement, I think this sounds just as full.
  • m12 RH: I hear the C's an octave lower
  • m12 LH: Missing an E.
  • m15: Missing an A above the F.

Kricketune54

Fixed everything minus the RH C's in m12, I really like that new chord at 11 thanks.  I did leave the notes the same for the m8 beat 3 notes as I wasn't really sure which pitches should go where for that comment

Played around with it in Audacity, and moved it down an octave in Finale but I neither heard the C's lower in m12 or thought it sounded correct with them down an octave in the arrangement.

Static

Quote from: Kricketune54 on March 11, 2022, 12:59:30 PMPlayed around with it in Audacity, and moved it down an octave in Finale but I neither heard the C's lower in m12 or thought it sounded correct with them down an octave in the arrangement.
I'm not hearing it now either... idk why I did before. m8 will be fine without the added notes on beat 3 since the pedal is held anyway

Looks good, I'll accept

Zeta