Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Colosseum
Console: Nintendo GameCube
Title: Cipher Peon Battle
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Kricketune54

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kricketune54

On that Colosseum grind (more to come in 2022, including those much needed replacements  ;) )

Let me start by explaining the idea of the accompaniment here.  In the original, there is a fairly complicated bassline for the first four bars - I took out some notes for the LH because it is objectively impossible for a player to do this and the RH at this tempo, but here's a reference file if you want to see the notes anyway.

Beyond that the LH is for the most part, a simplified version of the driving bass guitar line that kicks in at m5, with an accidental on each beats 2 and 4, symbolizing the drum strike. At m15 when there is a bit of a key change heading into the guitar's melody, the bassline starts to do some alternating rhythms, which is the reason for the pattern I have selected. 

Thank you Bloop and Latios for suggesting different patterns, but I agree with the idea that the 16th note inclusion is a bit too complicated.

From 37 to 44, there's a bit of a bass solo moment here... I have yet again simplified it for LH ease, similar to how I did for the first 4 bars (removing a few notes from the full rhythm, which makes the eighth rests between the 16 phrases from 37 to 44 LH).  m45 to 48 kinda continues the solo, and while I found this part more manageable to transcribe as the LH, I also did toy with an early return to the main LH pattern of the song in case this section feels to sparse and less driving.

Feel free to ignore old RH part lol
[close]

One last thing I wanted to note: the guitar solo has some chords underneath to sort of emulate m5-20; once again the aim is to avoid making this section sound too sparse.

Kricketune54

Given the impending GilvaSunner deletion, here is a link to the audio, which I have downloaded and hosted on my Dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5wxxjjs4fxejpui/Cipher%20Peon%20Battle%20-%20Pok%C3%A9mon%20Colosseum.ogg?dl=0

Edit 2/10/2022: didn't realize but DeoxysPrime also had the full Colosseum OST uploaded.  I'll be linking those videos from here on out

Bloop

Nice work on this! I didn't notice any wrong notes and the simplified bass looks good to me, so I only have some notation comments:
-m21: The tie in the R.H. could be flipped down, as there are no notes or rests underneath.
-m23: The lower layer should be beamed the same as the upper layer (they don't have to be the same layer though).
-m29: The An on beat 4.5 can have its stem flipped downwards.
-m31: All notes from beat 2 on can have its stem flipped downwards.
-m33: The beam starting from beat 3 can be flipped downards.
-m35: The tie from the 8th note at beat 2.5 can be flipped downwards.
-m48: The L.H. D's on beat 3.5 and 4.5 should be staccato 8th notes (instead of 16th notes + 16th rests)

These are a few delete-bottom-note-suggestions of the R.H. harmonies during the guitar solo. Sometimes, the R.H. has to make a bit of a jump to get the lowest note of these chords, which is not impossible to play, but does create a small break between the chord and the previous note. Deleting the bottom note allows the player to use fingers they otherwise couldn't use, so it's a bit more comfortable to play and allows for more a legato playing style. Most of these notes don't add that much to the harmony either, as they're all either the root or 5th of the chord and are therefore played by the L.H. as well.
-m23, beat 1: The lower A
-m27, beat 1: The lower D
-m29, beat 1: The lower D
-m31, beat 1: The lower Bb
-m36, beat 1: The lower C (this one is not because of a jump, but because of the repeated C from the previous note)
If you really prefer having these extra notes (or some of them), you can still keep them in of course, but this is just from a bit-more-comfortable-playing perspective ^^

Kricketune54

I took out all the notes mentioned, other stuff has been fixed, thanks!

Bloop

Great! A few things that popped up (mostly stuff I didn't expect to happen or didn't notice at first, sorry 'bout that!)
-m29: I incorrectly mentioned An in my flipping stems comment: the An on beat 3.5 should be flipped upwards, but the Cn on beat 4.5 (which I meant to refer to) should stay as is.
-m31: Since there's not second layer beneath beats 3 and 4, the 8th rest on beat 3 should go to its standard position in (like in m29) and the staccato dot on beat 3.5 should be at the notehead side.
-m36: Since you deleted the rests in earlier bars where you added harmonies on beat 1, you could do that here too and flip the stems of the F and E's on beats 2-3 (not the grace note, those should always point upwards).
-m49: I accidentally misread the last A and D in the L.H. as being a 16th note later, which is why I suggested changing that D to a staccato 8th note. It should actually be the same as in m48, 16th note + 8th rest. The consistency here should be that short notes that fall on beat x or beat x.5 should be staccato 8th notes, and short notes that fall on beat x.25 or x.75 should be 16th notes followed by a rest.
-You could slur all grace notes, if you want ^^

Kricketune54

Quote from: Bloop on February 11, 2022, 04:20:26 AMGreat! A few things that popped up (mostly stuff I didn't expect to happen or didn't notice at first, sorry 'bout that!)

No worries!

Quote-m29: I incorrectly mentioned An in my flipping stems comment: the An on beat 3.5 should be flipped upwards, but the Cn on beat 4.5 (which I meant to refer to) should stay as is.

Fixed the A

Quote-m31: Since there's not second layer beneath beats 3 and 4, the 8th rest on beat 3 should go to its standard position in (like in m29) and the staccato dot on beat 3.5 should be at the notehead side.
Fixed the staccato and the directions

Quote-m36: Since you deleted the rests in earlier bars where you added harmonies on beat 1, you could do that here too and flip the stems of the F and E's on beats 2-3 (not the grace note, those should always point upwards).

Fixed as well

Quote-m49: I accidentally misread the last A and D in the L.H. as being a 16th note later, which is why I suggested changing that D to a staccato 8th note. It should actually be the same as in m48, 16th note + 8th rest. The consistency here should be that short notes that fall on beat x or beat x.5 should be staccato 8th notes, and short notes that fall on beat x.25 or x.75 should be 16th notes followed by a rest.
Gotcha.  Honestly was thinking that might've been the case for this but now I know for sure haha, fixed this

Quote-You could slur all grace notes, if you want ^^
Slurs have been added!  Files updated, thanks

Bloop

Awesome! There's just one tie that has to be flipped (the one in m36 R.H. beat 2.5), but I'll approve nonetheless!
You cannot view this attachment.

Static

Looks pretty good overall...
  • Techncially, the keysig should be Dm (since it's D Dorian), but it's fine to leave it too.
  • You can hide the rests in m25/27 RH like elsewhere.
  • m36 RH beats 1-2 should be beamed. When adding grace notes, Finale will unbeam 8th notes for some reason, so you gotta rebeam them
  • Bassline towards the end sounds like it's missing a bunch of pickup notes. Also, beat 2 is different across each measure (it's not copy/paste the whole time). There's also a different pickup into m45, and m45-46 sounds different to me as well... Here's what I'm hearing:
    Spoiler
    [close]
    I guess this also a good time to point out the RH chords in m45-46 are incorrect as well; the image above has the correct chords (Bb/Eb and C/F). The D major chord in m47 is also missing an E (Dadd9).

Kricketune54

Quote from: Static on February 16, 2022, 01:33:30 PM
  • Technically, the keysig should be Dm (since it's D Dorian), but it's fine to leave it too.
Changed it anyway, let me know if there are grace accidentals that should be changed

• You can hide the rests in m25/27 RH like elsewhere.
Hid these, flipped the ties and stems where appropriate

• m36 RH beats 1-2 should be beamed. When adding grace notes, Finale will unbeam 8th notes for some reason, so you gotta rebeam them
Fixed this

• Bassline towards the end sounds like it's missing a bunch of pickup notes. Also, beat 2 is different across each measure (it's not copy/paste the whole time). There's also a different pickup into m45, and m45-46 sounds different to me as well... Here's what I'm hearing:
    Spoiler
    [close]
Probably could've conveyed a bit more clearly in my original comment that this was intentional, but after going through subs seems like simplifying i.e. removing pickups is unnecessary given it's not that demanding of a part.

Now I did listen repeatedly and last note of m44 LH sounds like an E not an F, so I did change that, and I also didn't quite hear m45-46 the same way entirely, but I did change all of these measures.

QuoteI guess this also a good time to point out the RH chords in m45-46 are incorrect as well; the image above has the correct chords (Bb/Eb and C/F). The D major chord in m47 is also missing an E (Dadd9).[/li][/list]

Fixed all the chords though admittedly I was not making out the En as hard as I tried.  I get it fits though, and I must've initially thought a voice dropped out.
[/list]
[/quote]

Updated

Static

Looks good. Yeah I knew you had intentionally simplified that bassline, but I think the beat x.75 notes affect the feel of that section a lot, and it isn't much harder to play.
m45-48 I hear the way you have it now, although it is really tough to actually hear all those ghosted notes... it sounds correct though.

Only thing left is to flip the ties in m39/43.

Kricketune54

Ah, missed those, updated thanks! 

I don't think I'll be doing anything anytime soon again that has such a quiet and active bass like this that doesn't really have anything else to work for an accompaniment

Static

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Static.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot