[PC] Crypt of the NecroDancer - "Knight to C-Sharp (Deep Blues)" by Fantastic Ike

Started by Zeta, January 31, 2022, 06:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Crypt of the NecroDancer
Console: PC
Title: Knight to C-Sharp (Deep Blues)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Fantastic Ike

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Fantastic Ike

How I love this game's soundtrack

Also I don't believe the actual game itself is onsite, but "Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the NecroDancer Featuring The Legend of Zelda" is. I filed it under the "Crypt of the NecroDancer" category in submissions, but it's the base game, not the Zelda spinoff.

Latios212

Quote from: Fantastic Ike on January 31, 2022, 06:23:00 AMAlso I don't believe the actual game itself is onsite, but "Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the NecroDancer Featuring The Legend of Zelda" is. I filed it under the "Crypt of the NecroDancer" category in submissions, but it's the base game, not the Zelda spinoff.
Yup yup this looks like it's filed right. The "D" is capitalized in the game info, and it should be on the sheet too.

While I'm here and have the file open, a few other quick things:
- This should be in C minor (3 flats)
- The repeat bar at the beginning is unnecessary
- Make sure your page margins and text alignment are all good
- Copyright info - missing space after copyright symbol and slash at the end of the URL
- This is something to do probably later on when the sheet's almost done, but it helps to align swung eighths against triplets visually (m. 11) to signify that the notes are playing at the same time instead of offset like they are visually.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Fantastic Ike

Oof, didn't think I'd have that many mistakes with formatting. This was adapted from an old sheet of mine so that explains all the weird formatting and other various errors. Reuploaded with the new NSM format, hopefully it looks spiffier now. And everything else should be fixed too.

Bloop

i find it a sin that they dared to call this "Knight to C-Sharp" but not write it in C# minor, smh
You still have the old files posted, so I'll be commenting on other things than Latios mentioned (the flats of the Ab's in some picture examples will of course disappear once you edit the key signature):
-It may be worth adding this You cannot view this attachment. at the end of the tempo marking, just to be extra clear the 8ths are meant to be swung.
-m2 and 6: I hear an Eb on beat 4.5 in the L.H. (instead of D)
-m3 and 7: I hear a sole F on beat 1 in the L.H. (instead of the Eb-C dyad)
-Though I'm not 100% sure what the rules are on this (if they even exist), but I believe slurs from grace notes should only go towards the note they're next to, and a new slur should be started from the non-grace-note note, like this:
You cannot view this attachment.
-m6: I hear a D grace note before beat 1 in the R.H. too.
-m8: Same as above, a D grace note before beat 2 in the R.H. as well. In the L.H., I think you can separate the C from the Eb and put it in a separate layer, as it's the ending of the lower layer melody in m7. You could also add a dashed line from the F at the end of m7 in the R.H. to this C, like you did in m6. Lastly, in the L.H., I hear G and Bb on beats 3.5 and 4 (instead of Eb and G).
-m9: The 8th rest on beat 2 in the lower layer of the R.H. should be aligned horizontally with the note above (deleting and re-entering the rest should do the trick)
-m9-10: I hear this in the L.H.:
-m11: In the R.H., I hear a C as the third note of the triplet starting on beat 1 (instead of the Eb). This is the same C as the lower layer, so once you're going to align these triplets with the 8ths, these C's will overlap like this:
-m12: I hear a D grace note before beat 1 and 2 in the R.H. Also, I hear G, Gb and F as the last 3 notes in the L.H. (instead of Gb, F and Eb)
-m13-14: I hear some other stuff here in both the L.H. and R.H.:
Spoiler
[close]
-m15-16: Also some different things in both L.H. and R.H. here:
Spoiler
[close]
Technically there should be a Bb on beat 3 in the R.H. too, but the Bb-Bn altered unison is exceptionally annoying to notate (from left to right it should be natural - B from upper voice - flat - F-B dyad from lower voice, which takes a lot of moving around), and it doesn't sound that great either (because the original has two different instruments and therefore different timbres playing the two notes, but a piano is of course one instrument).
-m18: The slur starting on the second note of the triplet starting on beat 2 should be above instead of below the notes. You may have to raise the triplet bracket a bit, so the slur doesn't clash with that either. Also, maybe it'd be a bit clearer to notate the last few notes like this:
Normally your version would work fine, but because the 8ths are swung, it's a bit dubious how to interpret an 8th rest + 16th triplet rhythm, as the triplet rhythm should technically start on the swung 8th instead of the straight, notated 8th.

Lastly, a suggestion about slur usage: I think you have a tendency to write very short slurs, which tend to suggest there are breaks between the notes, while there shouldn't be. For example in the R.H. in m12, it kinda looks like each second note should be disconnected from the next note:
However, in the original it sounds more like this:
I think you can extend most slurs until a new phrase starts or until you hit a rest. I won't list all suggested changes here, but if you're not sure on whether you should lengthen or shorten a particular slur, you're free to ask!

Fantastic Ike

Oh sorry! I thought I'd updated the sheets. Well at any rate, this new sheet should have all your fixes in mind.

Bloop

Awesome, looks much better! And great that it now fits on one page, haha :p A few small things still left to do:
-Grace notes in the middle of a slurred phrase (m6 beat 1, m8 beat 2, m12 beat 2) should also have slurs.
-The slur starting at m8 beat 4.5 could also end on m9 beat 2 (instead of beat 1.5)
-m11: On beat 2.5, the 8th note of the L.H. and the lower layer of the R.H, should be aligned with 8th rest at the end of the triplet of the upper layer in the R.H.
-m14: The 8th rest on beat 3.5 should be one tick higher (the circles of 8th rests and smaller should always go in stave spaces)

Bloop

Fantastic Ike

Thanks! Also just updated the MUS, for some reason it didn't save the changes along with the PDF.

Static

• The tempo marking "Bluesy Shuffle" itself already implies that the 8ths should be swung, although I suppose it can't hurt to be extra clear.
  • Since you group all the other 8th notes in groups of 4, I would beam across beats 1-2/3-4 of the RH as well. When adding grace notes, Finale will automatically break beams for some reason, but you can beam them back together with a press of the "/" key.
  • m10 RH Layer 2 beat 4.5: Should be F instead of Eb.
  • m15-19: I hear the chords and bass substantially differently:

(ignore the mess)

Fantastic Ike

Static

Looks good, although you may also want to beam places like m5-7 RH, across beats 1-2/3-4. m7 and 10 particularly looks a bit weird with the top layer beamed and bottom layer not. It's OK to have beaming vary sometimes, but it should be consistent if possible.

Fantastic Ike

Fantastic Ike