[SNES] Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - "Big Boss BGM" (Replacement) by Olimar12345

Started by Zeta, January 30, 2022, 02:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Big Boss BGM
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Olimar12345

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Olimar12345

Title should be: "Big Boss BGM"

Lots of things were intentionally simplified.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

LeviR.star

Quote from: Olimar12345 on January 30, 2022, 02:11:08 PMTitle should be: "Big Boss BGM"

I hate to see "BGM" in the title of a sheet, but if it's official, then it's what we gotta use.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

LeviR.star

Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Nice work on this one! Glad to replace the one on site, that one is atrocious :p

-Was there a particular reason you didn't put a key signature in this piece? The piece seems to be very heavily based G minor pentatonic scale, so putting it in Gm should make some sense.
-m6-9: If you leave the key signature as is, the flats of the Bb at the end of these bars are touching the note before.
-Since the bassline starting in m13 has the same articulations for the rest of the piece, maybe you could add a 'simile' marking after a few bars and hide all the tenutos? Saves some ink I guess :p
-m19: Nit-picking about glissandos here, but I don't think it's possible or comfortable to do the glissando up to the G and then immediately play the dyad, but reaching to the D seems to work. Maybe you could point the glissando to the D instead?
-m28: I hear a C#-F# dyad in beat 4.5 (instead of D-G)
-m46: Not necessarily needed, but you could add a courtesy accidental on the Bn on beat 3, as the player could easily mistake this for a Bb because of the trill before.
-m47: The little C in brackets on beat 4 should have a natural (there's a C# before in the bar)

Some text format stuff:
-The page numbers, small titles on pages 2 and 3, and the copyright are outside of the page margins.
-All text sizes are a bit too small, because the page size is changed: it's better to change the staff sizes instead, so the text size stays the same.
You may have to move systems around a bit, because there will be less vertical space, but there should be enough space to keep it to 3 pages.

Olimar12345

Thanks, Bloop!

Quote from: Bloop on February 02, 2022, 05:28:16 AM-Was there a particular reason you didn't put a key signature in this piece? The piece seems to be very heavily based G minor pentatonic scale, so putting it in Gm should make some sense.
You know, I kind of just started transcribing and forgot to come back to that. oof, added.
Quote from: Bloop on February 02, 2022, 05:28:16 AM-Since the bassline starting in m13 has the same articulations for the rest of the piece, maybe you could add a 'simile' marking after a few bars and hide all the tenutos? Saves some ink I guess :p
You're right, but I typically avoid doing that and usually opt to show exactly what I would like the performer to do.
Quote from: Bloop on February 02, 2022, 05:28:16 AM-m19: Nit-picking about glissandos here, but I don't think it's possible or comfortable to do the glissando up to the G and then immediately play the dyad, but reaching to the D seems to work. Maybe you could point the glissando to the D instead?
It's definitely not impossible, and I'm pretty sure a pianist would stop the glissando a hair early to grab the chord. The chord is paramount, the gliss is just an effect.
Edit: I think I misinterpreted your post here? A glissando on any instrument would never repeat the final note; you would gliss to the final note (jic that was what you meant).
Quote from: Bloop on February 02, 2022, 05:28:16 AM-m28: I hear a C#-F# dyad in beat 4.5 (instead of D-G)
Oops, yes, you're right. I remember this one. Thanks, I fixed it.
Quote from: Bloop on February 02, 2022, 05:28:16 AM-m46: Not necessarily needed, but you could add a courtesy accidental on the Bn on beat 3, as the player could easily mistake this for a Bb because of the trill before.
Yes, added.
Quote from: Bloop on February 02, 2022, 05:28:16 AM-m47: The little C in brackets on beat 4 should have a natural (there's a C# before in the bar)
Good catch, I've added it in.
Quote from: Bloop on February 02, 2022, 05:28:16 AM-The page numbers, small titles on pages 2 and 3, and the copyright are outside of the page margins.
Yes, they are. I didn't really feel the need to move things like that though... the page margins are relative, and can be whatever I set them to regardless of where the text is etc. Finale places the page 2+ titles and page numbers there by default, and I don't really have an issue with their placement, so I'd like to keep them there. They print out just fine, too.
Quote from: Bloop on February 02, 2022, 05:28:16 AM-All text sizes are a bit too small, because the page size is changed: it's better to change the staff sizes instead, so the text size stays the same.
You may have to move systems around a bit, because there will be less vertical space, but there should be enough space to keep it to 3 pages.
This is my preference, and while I can see why you'd do it that way (that makes sense, after all) I'd like to keep it this way. I prefer everything be the same size relative to one another (text/staff), but I don't shrink things below 85%, which keeps things still very legible.

Files have been update.

Bloop

Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 02, 2022, 06:09:25 PMIt's definitely not impossible, and I'm pretty sure a pianist would stop the glissando a hair early to grab the chord. The chord is paramount, the gliss is just an effect.
I originally felt the hair needed between the gliss and the chord would be quite big (I think about a quarter note long when I play it), but at this speed that may not be as much of a problem.

As for the margins, it's fine if you prefer them this way ^^ I think most files on NSM go by the suggestions I gave, but it's not a big deal either way. Everything else looks good, so I'll approve!
You cannot view this attachment.

Static

Cool sheet, it's good to finally see a replacement for this one...
  • m1-2: You're missing a middle chromatic voice that starts on middle C.
  • m34-35: These grace notes start on E natural (En-D-C-Bb-A), but I think it's fine to leave the top two out for rhythmic clarity.
  • While cut time isn't necessarily wrong, I'm not not really sure you need it. Since this is basically a fast rock tune, I feel it in a fast 4 rather than a slow 2, so you could just keep it in 4/4 all the way through, with the same metric modulation you have.
    • If you decide to keep cut time, I'd recommend using quarter=half for the metric modulation, since those correspond to the respective time signatures.
  • Your 2nd page number is larger than the 3rd.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Static on February 09, 2022, 01:01:20 PMCool sheet, it's good to finally see a replacement for this one...
  • m1-2: You're missing a middle chromatic voice that starts on middle C.
  • m34-35: These grace notes start on E natural (En-D-C-Bb-A), but I think it's fine to leave the top two out for rhythmic clarity.
  • While cut time isn't necessarily wrong, I'm not not really sure you need it. Since this is basically a fast rock tune, I feel it in a fast 4 rather than a slow 2, so you could just keep it in 4/4 all the way through, with the same metric modulation you have.
    • If you decide to keep cut time, I'd recommend using quarter=half for the metric modulation, since those correspond to the respective time signatures.
  • Your 2nd page number is larger than the 3rd.

-Added.
-That's originally a rip, which I simplified for playability.
-Totally makes sense. I kept the double time, but removed the cut time.
-Fixed.

Files have been updated.

Static

All the changes look good, but your metric modulation isn't working in playback anymore.

Olimar12345

Zeta