Game: Dungeon Explorer
Console: TurboGrafx-16
Title: Dungeon Theme 7
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Jacopo Tore

[attachment deleted by admin]

JacopoTore

Fantastic Ike

Heya, first of all nice console lol. Can't imagine there are too many onsite tracks for that.

Second of all, think you meant to put 19:15 in the time stamp. That's when the track starts on the video for me.

Now onto the sheet itself, it's a simple sheet so I don't have much feedback.

m3, m12, m20: So at first I was very confused by the lone eighth note until I listened to the track. You might want to consider changing the straight line to a gliss line. Of course, some of the glisses here might not be super easy to translate onto the piano, so you may want to consider grace notes instead. That way you can also get rid of the eighth notes and just have whole notes for the measure.

m5-12, m29-32: I don't think piano can hold notes that long. Might wanna just have a keystrike again after every two measures, otherwise you'll just be holding those notes down for nothing. And doesn't the tie begin at m29 instead of m30? For formatting, you may just wanna bite the bullet and have two measures per system like everywhere else in the piece. An optional ending could also potentially pad out that last page if you were worried about that.

Anyway that's all I have for now!

JacopoTore

Quote from: Fantastic Ike on January 20, 2022, 06:10:36 AMHeya, first of all nice console lol. Can't imagine there are too many onsite tracks for that.

Second of all, think you meant to put 19:15 in the time stamp. That's when the track starts on the video for me.

Now onto the sheet itself, it's a simple sheet so I don't have much feedback.

m3, m12, m20: So at first I was very confused by the lone eighth note until I listened to the track. You might want to consider changing the straight line to a gliss line. Of course, some of the glisses here might not be super easy to translate onto the piano, so you may want to consider grace notes instead. That way you can also get rid of the eighth notes and just have whole notes for the measure.

m5-12, m29-32: I don't think piano can hold notes that long. Might wanna just have a keystrike again after every two measures, otherwise you'll just be holding those notes down for nothing. And doesn't the tie begin at m29 instead of m30? For formatting, you may just wanna bite the bullet and have two measures per system like everywhere else in the piece. An optional ending could also potentially pad out that last page if you were worried about that.

Anyway that's all I have for now!

ok did it!

Fantastic Ike

Latios212

Quote from: Fantastic Ike on January 20, 2022, 06:10:36 AMHeya, first of all nice console lol. Can't imagine there are too many onsite tracks for that.
I think this may be the first one :P

In the future, please try to link a version with just the track you're arranging, for reference:

- Remove the D whole notes in m. 5-12, since the left hand is playing them anyway; it's not possible to keep them sustained.
- This is similar to what Fantastic Ike said above. I would suggest not tying over the lower whole notes between m. 6-7 and m. 10-11 in favor of re-striking them when the melody changes. Although that voice is sustained for four measures at a time in the original, the piano can't sustain the volume like the original does and re-striking them when the melody changes would sound good on piano.
- The same comment applies to not tying the whole notes between m. 21-22, 23-24, 25-26, 27-28. Though you can keep them if you want as it's only sustaining a voice for two measures here instead of four. If you do, make sure to flip the ties downwards.
- The D.C. is a bit high.

Also, do you have a source/reference for why this theme is called "Character Demo"?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

JacopoTore

Quote from: Latios212 on February 06, 2022, 01:40:37 PMI think this may be the first one :P

In the future, please try to link a version with just the track you're arranging, for reference:

- Remove the D whole notes in m. 5-12, since the left hand is playing them anyway; it's not possible to keep them sustained.
- This is similar to what Fantastic Ike said above. I would suggest not tying over the lower whole notes between m. 6-7 and m. 10-11 in favor of re-striking them when the melody changes. Although that voice is sustained for four measures at a time in the original, the piano can't sustain the volume like the original does and re-striking them when the melody changes would sound good on piano.
- The same comment applies to not tying the whole notes between m. 21-22, 23-24, 25-26, 27-28. Though you can keep them if you want as it's only sustaining a voice for two measures here instead of four. If you do, make sure to flip the ties downwards.
- The D.C. is a bit high.

Also, do you have a source/reference for why this theme is called "Character Demo"?
Did it!
Here https://www.zophar.net/music/turbografx-16-hes/dungeon-explorer
 I found Dungeon 7.
I don't remember where I found the other title

Latios212

Awesome, changes look good. I'll approve, pending the title.

Quote from: JacopoTore on February 07, 2022, 01:35:51 AMI don't remember where I found the other title
There needs to be a (verifiable) reason for including "Character Demo", otherwise we should just leave it as "Dungeon Theme 7".
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

JacopoTore

Quote from: Latios212 on February 07, 2022, 03:56:00 PMAwesome, changes look good. I'll approve, pending the title.
There needs to be a (verifiable) reason for including "Character Demo", otherwise we should just leave it as "Dungeon Theme 7".
I've done it. Thanks a lot Latios <3

Static

Very cool to finally see some PC Engine/TG-16 stuff. There were a bunch of great overlooked games and soundtracks to be found here...
  • m11 RH: The natural sign is too far away from the note; it should be moved closer. To get the default spacing, remove and re-enter the note and accidental.
  • m12 RH: The glissando marking is touching the flag of the 8th note.
  • m21-28 RH: The lower voice should not be tied; it re-articulates in each measure.
  • m29-32 RH: Both voices should be tied all the way through.
  • Before the track loops, there are an additional 4 measures of the LH ostinato that you're missing at the end.
Edit: Also, the titles on pages 2-4 should match the one on page 1.

Unrelated, but I think it might be a good idea to change the console abbreviation to [TG-16], with the dash. This is the most common abbreviation I see at least, and it wouldn't be out of place with our other abbreviations like the CD-i. Curious to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

JacopoTore

Quote from: Static on February 09, 2022, 12:43:19 PMVery cool to finally see some PC Engine/TG-16 stuff. There were a bunch of great overlooked games and soundtracks to be found here...
  • m11 RH: The natural sign is too far away from the note; it should be moved closer. To get the default spacing, remove and re-enter the note and accidental.
  • m12 RH: The glissando marking is touching the flag of the 8th note.
  • m21-28 RH: The lower voice should not be tied; it re-articulates in each measure.
  • m29-32 RH: Both voices should be tied all the way through.
  • Before the track loops, there are an additional 4 measures of the LH ostinato that you're missing at the end.
Edit: Also, the titles on pages 2-4 should match the one on page 1.

Unrelated, but I think it might be a good idea to change the console abbreviation to [TG-16], with the dash. This is the most common abbreviation I see at least, and it wouldn't be out of place with our other abbreviations like the CD-i. Curious to hear anyone's thoughts on this.
Really thanks Static!!
Hope is good now!

Static

Looks good, one last thing though: the dotted rest in m4 should be split into quarter + 8th

JacopoTore

Quote from: Static on February 10, 2022, 02:20:02 PMLooks good, one last thing though: the dotted rest in m4 should be split into quarter + 8th
Did it ;)

Static

Looks good! I swear you had it fixed earlier, but the titles on pages 2-4 should match page 1. That's all I have left!