Game: The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: Den of Trials
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Cashwarrior1

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

cashwarrior1

Try to guess as many references to other zelda tracks as you can! This track is full of inspiration from all of zelda

Bloop

Such a ominously goofy song, I like it! (is there more than just main Zelda theme and OoT Hyrule Field theme in there?  :-X)

-I'm wondering if the C# in the ostinato from m1-24 could be better written as a Db, because it always goes back down to the Cn. It's just the melody starting in m5 (+upbeat) which is making it a bit weird, so I'm good with leaving it as C# too. You could consider deleting the courtesy accidental Cn's after 2 or 4 bars, as it should be clear by then that it's not staying as a C#.
-There are some legato slurs you could extend to the next staccato note (like the one starting on beat 4.5 of m4, beat 2.5 and 4.5 of m5, beat 3.5 of m6, etc). The ending of a legato slur usually indicates that there's a separation between the last note of the slur and the next note, but that's not really the case here.
-m13: The A# in the R.H. may work better as a Bb (going down to An in the next bar)
-m14: In the grace notes, I think I hear F# a bit more prominently than Fn.
-m15: The D# and A# in the R.H. here may work better as Eb and Bb (like an Eb major triad)
-m16: I hear the grace notes more like B-Cn than A-B.
-m17 and 21: It's probably better to write the horn voice and the flute/oboe voice in separate layers, so it's clearer what voice is playing what, and so they can have their own articulations. Also, you could write the A# and G# at the end of the bar as Bb and Ab (descending to Gn).
-m20: I hear E#-G# on beat 4 and 4.333 in the R.H. (instead of D#-Gn)
-m23-24: I hear m23 differently, and it's better to write m24 enharmonically as all major thirds, so it's clearer it's just an ascending major third-fest:
You cannot view this attachment.
Technically the mordent on beat 3.5 should have a flat above it, as the player should play a Db instead of a C. You'll have to add the flat via a text box or expression though, as Finale doesn't have mordents with accidentals.
-m25-28: Nothing wrong here, but you could write the 8th+16th rests as dotted 8th rests ^^
-m37: I hear beat 2 and 3 in the same octave as beat 4 of m36 and beat 1 of m37.
-m45, 47 and 51: The accent on beat 3 in these bars is outside of the slur, while the accent on beat 4 is inside. Maybe it's a bit cleaner to edit the slur a bit so the accent on beat 3 can go inside the slur too?
-m51-52: I'd rewrite the accidentals like this:
The E# and B# are functioning as a major third and major seventh from C#maj7, which goes down to C#7 with the Bn in the next bar. The Db just makes more sense as C# together with the L.H.

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Bloop on January 25, 2022, 03:01:20 AMSuch a ominously goofy song, I like it! (is there more than just main Zelda theme and OoT Hyrule Field theme in there?  :-X)
Yeah, it quotes the dark world dungeon theme from a link to the past and also the left hand accompaniment in the later parts is reminiscent of the majora's mask overworld theme.

Quote from: Bloop on January 25, 2022, 03:01:20 AM-I'm wondering if the C# in the ostinato from m1-24 could be better written as a Db, because it always goes back down to the Cn. It's just the melody starting in m5 (+upbeat) which is making it a bit weird, so I'm good with leaving it as C# too. You could consider deleting the courtesy accidental Cn's after 2 or 4 bars, as it should be clear by then that it's not staying as a C#.
I had considered making it Db when first arranging it but it was the melody starting on C# that made me decide to leave it.

Quote from: Bloop on January 25, 2022, 03:01:20 AM-m23-24: I hear m23 differently, and it's better to write m24 enharmonically as all major thirds, so it's clearer it's just an ascending major third-fest:
I wasn't entirely sure what to do here when first arranging because I was still trying to figure out if there was a key or not lol

Quote from: Bloop on January 25, 2022, 03:01:20 AM-m25-28: Nothing wrong here, but you could write the 8th+16th rests as dotted 8th rests ^^
I think I have beef with dotted 8th rests because my brain hates looking at them lol

Quote from: Bloop on January 25, 2022, 03:01:20 AM-m37: I hear beat 2 and 3 in the same octave as beat 4 of m36 and beat 1 of m37.
I had moved that down the octave because I thought it better conveyed the addition of trumpet and a more full sound (also I think it sounds better) but if you'd rather have it up the octave I can change it.

Updated.

Bloop

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on January 25, 2022, 06:48:54 AMYeah, it quotes the dark world dungeon theme from a link to the past
Does it? I can't really find it tbh haha. I can see what you mean by the Termina Field reference, but I feel that may just be coincidence, as it's a very common left hand pattern. Either way, it's still pretty cool to see those themes incorporated without feeling too forced ^^

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on January 25, 2022, 06:48:54 AMI had moved that down the octave because I thought it better conveyed the addition of trumpet and a more full sound (also I think it sounds better) but if you'd rather have it up the octave I can change it.
Ah that makes sense! I didn't hear the trumpet that clearly at first listen, but now I see where you're coming from. Looks good then ^^

Currently there's a 4th page with a single empty measure that needs to be deleted. Also, it may look a bit better if all mordents are placed inside the slur instead of outside, because they sometimes get placed a bit far from the notehead. Usually only articulations on the first or last note of a slur go outside the slur, except for smaller articulations like staccatos and tenutos. The flattened mordent in m23 may be a bit of a problem though: I think you can get away with placing it on top if it doesn't look too awkward. Those are minor edits, so consider it approved either way ^^

Latios212

Quote from: Bloop on January 25, 2022, 03:01:20 AM-I'm wondering if the C# in the ostinato from m1-24 could be better written as a Db, because it always goes back down to the Cn. It's just the melody starting in m5 (+upbeat) which is making it a bit weird, so I'm good with leaving it as C# too. You could consider deleting the courtesy accidental Cn's after 2 or 4 bars, as it should be clear by then that it's not staying as a C#.
Quote from: cashwarrior1 on January 25, 2022, 06:48:54 AMI had considered making it Db when first arranging it but it was the melody starting on C# that made me decide to leave it.
I think I would prefer Db personally, since it's an ostinato that doesn't necessarily make harmonic sense with the right hand, especially as it remains unchanged throughout the whole section. It's also fine as is I guess, for the same reason that it's easy enough to read and repeat - so fine if you want to leave it.

Other stuff:
- m. 7, 8, 10, 11, 19, 20, 33, 34 RH: avoid using dotted staccato eighth notes when possible. If they're detached in a similar manner to the other eighth notes in the section, use a staccato 8th + rest.
- m. 17, 21 RH: might be better to switch the positionings of the beat 3 quarter notes as follows so the E doesn't awkwardly separate the sharp and the F:
You cannot view this attachment. rather than You cannot view this attachment.
- m. 19 RH: it might be best to separate the upper/lower layers on beat 1-3, since there's sort of a call/response there. (If you do separate them, make sure the articulations stay in the right place on beat 4 - below the dyads as they are) Measure 20 as well
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Latios212 on February 10, 2022, 04:44:11 PMI think I would prefer Db personally, since it's an ostinato that doesn't necessarily make harmonic sense with the right hand, especially as it remains unchanged throughout the whole section. It's also fine as is I guess, for the same reason that it's easy enough to read and repeat - so fine if you want to leave it.
I've been looking at it as C# for a while now and it would feel weird to change it at this point so I'm just gonna leave it :p

Also, I just found out that if you click on an image it makes it larger o.O

Updated.

Latios212

Quote from: Latios212 on February 10, 2022, 04:44:11 PM- m. 19 RH: it might be best to separate the upper/lower layers on beat 1-3, since there's sort of a call/response there. (If you do separate them, make sure the articulations stay in the right place on beat 4 - below the dyads as they are) Measure 20 as well
Don't forget this! Also, in m. 20 the 16th notes at the end should be flipped downwards, and the lower layer rests after beat 2 should be lowered to the same height as they are in subsequent measures.

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on February 11, 2022, 06:00:30 AMAlso, I just found out that if you click on an image it makes it larger o.O
You can manually set the height of an image using [img height=blah]http://link[/img]. If you do, clicking on the image will show its default size. Almost all the screenshots I end up taking require some resizing :P

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta