News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[3DS] The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve - "Partners - The game is afoot!" by Latios212

Started by Zeta, January 16, 2022, 01:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Ace Attorney
Game: The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: Partners - The game is afoot!
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Nice work on this one! My bf and I started playing this game a while ago, but I haven't got him past the first case yet... seems like i have to push him some more. after we get tired of pokemon legends

-m1-2: Maybe you could add slurs in the R.H. from the accented notes to the next note, so it's clearer for the player that these are meant to be longer than the rest.
-m2: I think I hear G on beat 4.5 instead of F in the R.H.
-m14, 16, 30 and 32: I believe the notes on beat 2 should actually start on beat 1.75
-m43: Maybe you could add a courtesy accidental to the Fn on beat 1? There's been a lot of F#'s thus far.
-m55-56: The melody goes 1-5-8 here instead of 8-5-8, maybe you could remove the top notes of the octaves on the accented notes? (I'm ignoring the higher strings here in favor of the melody line)

Latios212

Quote from: Bloop on January 29, 2022, 08:10:43 AMNice work on this one! My bf and I started playing this game a while ago, but I haven't got him past the first case yet... seems like i have to push him some more. after we get tired of pokemon legends
It's a (long but) good investment :P you don't hear this piece until really near the end of the game though...

Quote from: Bloop on January 29, 2022, 08:10:43 AM-m1-2: Maybe you could add slurs in the R.H. from the accented notes to the next note, so it's clearer for the player that these are meant to be longer than the rest.
Having slurs, accents, and staccatos looked rather messy so I added the slurs and removed the accents, hopefully the emphasis should already be clear through the phrasing and the left hand. Looks good I hope?

Quote from: Bloop on January 29, 2022, 08:10:43 AM-m2: I think I hear G on beat 4.5 instead of F in the R.H.
That's an F# - I'm not 100% sure listening again but I think that sounds more right as an F# (as opposed to having a G>F# suspension)

Quote from: Bloop on January 29, 2022, 08:10:43 AM-m14, 16, 30 and 32: I believe the notes on beat 2 should actually start on beat 1.75
-m43: Maybe you could add a courtesy accidental to the Fn on beat 1? There's been a lot of F#'s thus far.
-m55-56: The melody goes 1-5-8 here instead of 8-5-8, maybe you could remove the top notes of the octaves on the accented notes? (I'm ignoring the higher strings here in favor of the melody line)
Ah good catches! Yep updated ^^

Also one thing I noticed was that the left hand rhythm in m. 48 should match that of m. 52, so I copied the LH of m. 52 over into m. 48.

Updated the files - thanks for checking :D

By the way, I forgot to mention, the one-measure ending I wrote in is from the end of this super awesome official arrangement of the piece!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Quote from: Latios212 on January 29, 2022, 11:48:02 AMIt's a (long but) good investment :P you don't hear this piece until really near the end of the game though...
oops i guess i spoiled myself then oh well

Quote from: Latios212 on January 29, 2022, 11:48:02 AMHaving slurs, accents, and staccatos looked rather messy so I added the slurs and removed the accents, hopefully the emphasis should already be clear through the phrasing and the left hand. Looks good I hope?
Yeah that's fine too, I personally don't think the accents would be too messy, but this is clear enough too ^^

Quote from: Latios212 on January 29, 2022, 11:48:02 AMThat's an F# - I'm not 100% sure listening again but I think that sounds more right as an F# (as opposed to having a G>F# suspension)
Oh yeah I misread that, woops. It's a bit hard to hear, but an F# sounds right too.

Quote from: Latios212 on January 29, 2022, 11:48:02 AMBy the way, I forgot to mention, the one-measure ending I wrote in is from the end of this super awesome official arrangement of the piece!
oh that's one delicious arrangement too! Good idea to include that ending in this arrangement ^^

This is now approved!
You cannot view this attachment.

Libera

This feels like a quintessential Latios212 arrange.

-It sounds to me like there's another brass/bass hit on beat 3.5 of bar 20, though maybe not accented like the others.
-I think the C you wrote in for 23 beat 1 actually then moves in line with the melody (C -> A -> F) which might be nice.
-There's actually a little flourish at the end of bar 34 going into to 35 but maybe it's a bit awkward to put in.
-The ties in the second chord in bar 35 were killed by squishing.  Gruesome stuff.
-You're missing a Bb on the chord in bar 35 beat 4, which resolves down to the A in the next chord.  I think you could just replace the C with it since there's already a C in the left hand anyway.
-To me the piece feels like it's winding down going into bar 37, rather than suddenly dropping dynamic for F#.  Have you considered putting a dim in for the last 2 beats of bar 36?  Another suggestion I might have is to drop the doubled G in the chord at the start of 37 (the lower one, obviously) just to help with that winding down.
-I think the bass notes in bar 46 should be As rather than Cs.  The top notes can stay the same though, or you can swap the A down to the C, I don't mind.
-Missing a little D -> F lead-in to bar 53.
-It's kind of hard for me to hear because it's low and quiet but the bass sounds like it plays Bb -> A at the end of bar 54 rather than Bb -> D.
-Maybe you want to write in 'optional ending' at the end?

That's everything, nice work.

Latios212

Quote from: Libera on January 30, 2022, 11:43:19 AMThis feels like a quintessential Latios212 arrange.
I still don't quite know what it means when people say that, since I feel like my sheets turn out really differently based on the style of the original piece. Hopefully it's a good thing? xD

Quote from: Libera on January 30, 2022, 11:43:19 AM-It sounds to me like there's another brass/bass hit on beat 3.5 of bar 20, though maybe not accented like the others.
Yup, I also sustained it for the rest of the measure since I realized the left hand shouldn't be silent there. (I did the same for m. 36 too - no rest on beat 4.)

Quote from: Libera on January 30, 2022, 11:43:19 AM-There's actually a little flourish at the end of bar 34 going into to 35 but maybe it's a bit awkward to put in.
Ah yeah. I wrote in a grace note F# which is easy enough to ignore if the performer wants.

Quote from: Libera on January 30, 2022, 11:43:19 AM-To me the piece feels like it's winding down going into bar 37, rather than suddenly dropping dynamic for F#.  Have you considered putting a dim in for the last 2 beats of bar 36?  Another suggestion I might have is to drop the doubled G in the chord at the start of 37 (the lower one, obviously) just to help with that winding down.
Sounds good, I wrote in a dim from m. 36 beat 3 until the mp in m. 37 beat 2.5, as well as removed that G.

Quote from: Libera on January 30, 2022, 11:43:19 AM-I think the bass notes in bar 46 should be As rather than Cs.  The top notes can stay the same though, or you can swap the A down to the C, I don't mind.
Listening again I'm not sure what I was writing for the left hand of m. 45-46. I think it should be the same as m. 49-50 so I've copied that over to match.

Quote from: Libera on January 30, 2022, 11:43:19 AM-It's kind of hard for me to hear because it's low and quiet but the bass sounds like it plays Bb -> A at the end of bar 54 rather than Bb -> D.
I'm not 100% sure either, but that makes more sense and sounds good so I'll edit that in~

Everything above as well as everything not quoted should be updated! Thanks for checking :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

All that looks great, I'll happily accept.

Quote from: Latios212 on January 30, 2022, 12:17:51 PMI still don't quite know what it means when people say that, since I feel like my sheets turn out really differently based on the style of the original piece. Hopefully it's a good thing? xD

I can't describe it exactly, but something about the accompaniment patterns over the single note/octave melody just feels like something I associate a lot with your arranging style.  I think it's nice.

Zeta