News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

[Wii] Kirby's Epic Yarn - "Dino Jungle" by mastersuperfan

Started by Zeta, January 12, 2022, 03:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Kirby
Game: Kirby's Epic Yarn
Console: Wii
Title: Dino Jungle
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: mastersuperfan

[attachment deleted by admin]

mastersuperfan

me when I think about what I want to arrange: "hmm I should arrange for a game that doesn't have enough sheets on site yet"
me when I actually arrange:

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Kricketune54

Wondering, did you try writing this out in 4/4 ever?  Calling upon my jazz experience in a past life, I could see this working at quarter note = 126 and looking quite a bit better rhythmically (particularly last bar, .  Listening to and really feeling the melody as well, it seems like it would fit better with 4/4.

I understand how the bass melody (ex. second half of m1) could feel like triplet rhythms and are likely the primary source for a 6/8 reasoning, but what are your thoughts on this? Listening to the song, I feel those notes are eighths, and notes such as the flutes opening notes at m9 feel like triplet eighths compared to what's there currently

I know that's going to take a bit of work to reconfigure, but I'm not feeling 6/8 with this one and some of the rhythms don't look or feel quite right as this is

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Kricketune54 on January 12, 2022, 08:03:45 PMWondering, did you try writing this out in 4/4 ever?  Calling upon my jazz experience in a past life, I could see this working at quarter note = 126 and looking quite a bit better rhythmically (particularly last bar, .  Listening to and really feeling the melody as well, it seems like it would fit better with 4/4.
Sorry, I think I'm a bit confused here... I've always heard this in 6/8 (or equivalently a fast 3/4) and I'm having a hard time understanding what it is about the track that would suggest 4/4. The rhythm in the last bar (which is equivalent to the rhythm in pretty much every other measure, just with the dotted eighth written as an eighth + rest) is a common syncopated rhythm in 3/4 and 6/8, in my experience.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on January 12, 2022, 08:03:45 PMI understand how the bass melody (ex. second half of m1) could feel like triplet rhythms and are likely the primary source for a 6/8 reasoning, but what are your thoughts on this? Listening to the song, I feel those notes are eighths, and notes such as the flutes opening notes at m9 feel like triplet eighths compared to what's there currently
Here in particular I'm not sure I understand what you mean—to me it seems like it's the other way around. Written in 6/8 as it is now, all the bass notes are written as eighths. However, if it were to be written in 4/4, then all the eighths would need to be re-written as triplets, which is a lot messier and also just doesn't match up with how I hear it. Maybe you can clarify?
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Kricketune54

Might've been shooting from the hip with this one a little last night; never really heard this track before then so after repeated listens a bit more in the camp then before.  Part about the bass notes as eighths def should've said triplets lol.  Went and listened to a specific performance of a jazz tune that was my reference for arguing this being 4/4, realized there were some key differences between that (Rondo Blue) and this.  The conga part in Dino Jungle is probably what made me feel 4/4, but even those are sort of triplet rhythms and makes me think 12/8 instead.

Still, I can feel the 6/8 better today though; it might just be inexperience on my part when it comes to seeing these subdivisions or 6/8 time in a jazz setting. The song does have a bit of a more improvisational feel (ex. m5-9 RH) which probably lends to the uncommon groupings for 6/8 (including image as reference)
Spoiler
[close]

Not much to say else on this side of things

Small things in addition:
-Maybe consider some manual note moving in m7, perhaps moving the second notes of the RH a bit to the left and then doing the same for the LH.  Or maybe just move the eighth rest in the RH to the right a bit so it lines up better with the sixteenth in the LH. 
-Tempo looks a bit high relative to composer info
-In m20 I hear the piano part playing a Cn3 on beat 1.66 (the third eighth of beat 1) - probably not necessary to capture but perhaps could shorten the RH first note to a quarter length (instead of dotted quarter as it is) and have the RH play a Cn4 on beat 1.66
Spoiler
[close]

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Kricketune54 on January 13, 2022, 05:48:01 PM-Maybe consider some manual note moving in m7, perhaps moving the second notes of the RH a bit to the left and then doing the same for the LH.  Or maybe just move the eighth rest in the RH to the right a bit so it lines up better with the sixteenth in the LH. 
-Tempo looks a bit high relative to composer info
Got these!

Quote from: Kricketune54 on January 13, 2022, 05:48:01 PM-In m20 I hear the piano part playing a Cn3 on beat 1.66 (the third eighth of beat 1) - probably not necessary to capture but perhaps could shorten the RH first note to a quarter length (instead of dotted quarter as it is) and have the RH play a Cn4 on beat 1.66
Spoiler
[close]
Yeah, that's what the C in the LH is for.

Thanks for taking a look!

Radiak488417

Honestly I don't think I really appreciated this song enough before, it's quite nice.

Like I mentioned to you over Discord, I feel that the LH pattern in m9-12 doesn't quite capture the rhythm of that section, specifically the chords hitting on beat 2 (beat 2 isn't really accented there in the original). I'd suggest having them hit on beat 3 to match the bass rhythm, like this:

To me this sounds a bit closer to the sound of the original, and I don't think it adds too much extra difficulty either.

Some misc. note things, all in the RH:

-There's an F on beat 6 of m6
-m15 beat 4 might have an F on the bottom?
-m19 beat 1 the Bb should be an A
-Any reason the bottom notes in m19 aren't in layer 2 like m23?
-m20 beat 1: The F# should be on the bottom
-m20 beat 4: I hear an Fn in this chord
-m24 beat 4: I don't hear the A here
-The chord you have for beat 4 of m26 is nice, but it doesn't really sound like there's any harmony there in the original
-m27 beat 4: I don't hear the C here, but I do hear an F on the bottom
-m27 beat 6: I think there's a Bb here
-m27: I think the bottom notes on beats 3-6 can probably be in layer 1 since they're the same length as the melody

There's also some spots where beat 2.5 of the bass sounds staccato/shorter than it currently is in the sheet. If you want to keep them all the same that's fine too, since it seems pretty random (the measures I hear it in are 14, 16, 18, 19, 21, 22, 25, and 26).

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Radiak488417 on January 15, 2022, 07:14:07 PMHonestly I don't think I really appreciated this song enough before, it's quite nice.

Like I mentioned to you over Discord, I feel that the LH pattern in m9-12 doesn't quite capture the rhythm of that section, specifically the chords hitting on beat 2 (beat 2 isn't really accented there in the original). I'd suggest having them hit on beat 3 to match the bass rhythm, like this:

To me this sounds a bit closer to the sound of the original, and I don't think it adds too much extra difficulty either. it still doesn't sound all that natural to me but on paper it makes a lot of sense, so I've changed it

Some misc. note things, all in the RH:

-There's an F on beat 6 of m6 err that's already there right?
-m15 beat 4 might have an F on the bottom? yeah I hear it, chord's kinda crowded now though
-m19 beat 1 the Bb should be an A hmmm I don't hear this
-Any reason the bottom notes in m19 aren't in layer 2 like m23? it makes more sense to me as one layer here since on beats 2/3/6 there are parallel thirds that are continuous with the middle voices in 1/4. doesn't really seem practical to make a second layer exclusively for the lowest note on beat 1/4 which would take up a bunch of space in the middle. also in the original m19 is all piano, and in m23 the top voice is the flute
-m20 beat 1: The F# should be on the bottom I hear the one on the bottom but I hear one on top too, so I kept both
-m20 beat 4: I hear an Fn in this chord I don't hear this
-m24 beat 4: I don't hear the A here I filled in the chords to keep a consistent texture throughout
-The chord you have for beat 4 of m26 is nice, but it doesn't really sound like there's any harmony there in the original also filled in the chord here
-m27 beat 4: I don't hear the C here, but I do hear an F on the bottom I still hear the C but I think it might just be an overtone of the F. changed
-m27 beat 6: I think there's a Bb here I don't hear this
-m27: I think the bottom notes on beats 3-6 can probably be in layer 1 since they're the same length as the melody done

There's also some spots where beat 2.5 of the bass sounds staccato/shorter than it currently is in the sheet. If you want to keep them all the same that's fine too, since it seems pretty random (the measures I hear it in are 14, 16, 18, 19, 21, 22, 25, and 26). I noticed that too but I felt it was too arbitrary to be worth notating

Files updated, thanks for taking a look!

Radiak488417

Looks great! Going back and listening I'm not hearing some of the notes I originally mentioned, so they're probably fine to leave out lol.

Latios212

Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 12, 2022, 03:41:57 PMme when I think about what I want to arrange: "hmm I should arrange for a game that doesn't have enough sheets on site yet"
me when I actually arrange:
yes

(a new source link)

Nice work! Especially on condensing the accompaniment in m. 9-12. Just a few small points from me:
- I feel like the "loco" isn't needed in m. 9/25 since the 8vb lines are explicit enough about where they start and end
- Staccato on m. 9/11 beat 2 RH?
- Beat 4 bass note in m. 13/17 sounds like an F instead of Bb
- Not sure about that E on top of the big chord in m. 15? I think this is a C9sus4
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Radiak488417

Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 15, 2022, 07:14:07 PM-There's an F on beat 6 of m6 err that's already there right?
Whoops I meant m8. It's quite a jump to the F in m9 though so you might want to leave it out anyways.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Latios212 on April 10, 2022, 11:14:31 AM- I feel like the "loco" isn't needed in m. 9/25 since the 8vb lines are explicit enough about where they start and end the little ending lip on the 8vbs are kind of hard to see, so I thought the extra clarity would be helpful since it goes back and forth several times
- Staccato on m. 9/11 beat 2 RH? I didn't since it's pedaled
- Beat 4 bass note in m. 13/17 sounds like an F instead of Bb I chose to emphasize the Bb in the piano instead of the F in the bass
- Not sure about that E on top of the big chord in m. 15? I think this is a C9sus4 removed

Files updated, thanks for checking!

Latios212

Quote from: Latios212 on April 10, 2022, 11:14:31 AM- I feel like the "loco" isn't needed in m. 9/25 since the 8vb lines are explicit enough about where they start and end the little ending lip on the 8vbs are kind of hard to see, so I thought the extra clarity would be helpful since it goes back and forth several times
It's not so much about the 8vb line ending, but rather just that it's obvious that the 8vb line is or isn't there in the next system. In any case, your choice.

I'll approve~
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

New video link

• Personally I think this would be better written in 12/8 (doubling every note value), but I remember discussing that with you already over Discord awhile ago. I'm fine leaving it in 6/8.
  • m5 RH beat 4 (counting each 8th note as a beat): There should be a G under the Bb.
  • m12 LH beat 1: Bass plays an E here, not C.
  • m13/17 LH beat 4: Should be F instead of Bb.
  • m19 RH beat 1: Missing A under the Bb (there is both an A and Bb; Gm9 chord)
  • m20 RH beat 4: I am also hearing an Fn here, under the G.
  • m25 beat 1: Maybe put an arpeggio marking here
Sorry for the wait on this one

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Static on May 23, 2022, 10:58:10 AMNew video link

• Personally I think this would be better written in 12/8 (doubling every note value), but I remember discussing that with you already over Discord awhile ago. I'm fine leaving it in 6/8.
  • m5 RH beat 4 (counting each 8th note as a beat): There should be a G under the Bb. are you sure? I hear an Ab and an F but I can't hear a G no matter what, it sounds wrong to me when I try playing it with a G
  • m12 LH beat 1: Bass plays an E here, not C. updated
  • m13/17 LH beat 4: Should be F instead of Bb. mentioned above with Latios, I wanted to emphasize the piano note over the bass on this one
  • m19 RH beat 1: Missing A under the Bb (there is both an A and Bb; Gm9 chord) updated
  • m20 RH beat 4: I am also hearing an Fn here, under the G. updated
  • m25 beat 1: Maybe put an arpeggio marking here updated
Sorry for the wait on this one