News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

[PS2] Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne - "Metatron" by Static

Started by Zeta, December 31, 2021, 04:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Megami Tensei/Persona
Game: Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
Console: PlayStation 2
Title: Metatron
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Static

[attachment deleted by admin]

Static

aka the game that features Dante from the Devil May Cry™ Series

A few notes:

• This track was first in the Maniax version, not the original, but this version is the one that was released overseas. To prevent confusion, I just put this under SMT3 (the closest comparison here I think would be Animal Crossing on GameCube, which we put all the original N64 tracks under on the site).
  • The original localized title was just "Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne", without the III. However, the game is officially referred to as III everywhere now (similar to other titles on site like FF4 and 6, FE7, etc.). I think the number would help people find the game as part of the main series.
  • Track title is from here

Latios212

Sorry for the wait on this one! I don't have any particular comments regarding any of the naming points you mentioned above.

- Is there a reason the bass in in triplets in m. 2 beat 3? The bass doesn't play triplets there and while other parts do, you haven't written in triplets for the LH anywhere else in this section
- The way the different layers overlap and are shown in m. 5 and 9 are a bit... awkward, both to look at and to play. I don't have any particular suggestions other than separating out the lower layer on beat 1, but are there any simplifications we could make here?
- Accents on all the melody notes from m. 22-30 seems redundant, perhaps a dynamic change or performance direction instead?
- The page 2 header is a bit close to the top staff, you could cut down on vertical space a little bit elsewhere
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on February 13, 2022, 02:28:17 PM- Is there a reason the bass in in triplets in m. 2 beat 3? The bass doesn't play triplets there and while other parts do, you haven't written in triplets for the LH anywhere else in this section
The timpani plays there, although it sounds like 16th notes in the original. I changed it to triplets to line up with the RH and make that part easier to play. I added similar additional percussion notes to the bassline in m23+.

Fixed all the other things.

Latios212

m. 2 - Ah I mostly meant that at a glance it seemed odd that it was only in m. 2 and not in 1/3/4 for example.

m. 5/9 - Sorry if this wasn't clear, I meant writing the countermelody on beat 1 in a separate layer (although simplifying it is fine too), and separately the part that's awkward to play is the minor second on beat 3.

These are up to you to change or keep as you wish, so I'll approve~

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on February 13, 2022, 07:47:00 PMm. 2 - Ah I mostly meant that at a glance it seemed odd that it was only in m. 2 and not in 1/3/4 for example.
The timpani only plays in m2-4, and in m3-4 I'd rather simplify the LH rhythm because of the added 5th voice. I think it would sound a bit too overpowering if the notes were rearticulated more. It's a very minor detail, but that's just how I was thinking about it at least.

Quote from: Latios212 on February 13, 2022, 07:47:00 PMm. 5/9 - Sorry if this wasn't clear, I meant writing the countermelody on beat 1 in a separate layer (although simplifying it is fine too), and separately the part that's awkward to play is the minor second on beat 3.
I'd rather remove the countermelody on beat 1 since it was kind of awkward to play anyway.
For beat 3 of m5/9, I'm more inclined on keeping the D there, since I don't think it's too hard to play (with a 1-4-5 fingering at least). It requires some quick finger shifting, but with some practice it's not too bad. I mostly want to keep the D for the added dissonance it brings. I guess I could move the lower octave Eb, but either way the upper notes would probably still be played with fingers 4-5 because of the preceding notes.

Latios212

All good, just wanted to make sure it was all intentional :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

-m1: I'm not sure if this needs a fix or not, but I noticed the C#'s in this ostinato getting played a bit earlier like this: You cannot view this attachment. (click to enlarge). It sounds a bit weird to hear them as straight sixteenths, but changing all those 16th notes to this triplet figure would probably look very messy and confusing. The cleaner option might be to write it in 9/8 like with this figure You cannot view this attachment., but that's an overhaul that's probably still a lot of work and look messy in other ways.
-m5-12: I kinda feel like the stems and noteheads of the melody and the stems and beams of the ostinato in the R.H. clash a bit too much: they are not really overlapping, but definitely touching a lot. Maybe just flipping the stems makes it look a bit neither? Comparison for m5:
You cannot view this attachment. You cannot view this attachment.
-m14 and 19: Maybe it'd make sense to write the F#-Bn dyads as Gb-Cb's instead? (descending motion to Fn-Bb)

I think that's all I have though, very cool track and nice arrangement!

Static

Ah, I knew something was up with those rhythms! I thought it was just delayed slightly, but 9/8 makes a lot more sense. When it's played at full speed, it's hard to notice the exact rhythm there but when slowed down, yeah it's definitely that. I've updated the entire sheet with 9/8 time and fixed the other things too.

Don't worry if a change you suggest would require a lot of reworking, I'd rather have my sheets be accurate. Thanks for looking it over

Bloop

Looking great! I originally wasn't sure if other things would start to look messy in 9/8 or not, but it's apparently not at all an issue. In that case I'll accept!
You cannot view this attachment.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bloop.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot