Series: Kirby
Game: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: Neo Star
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Kricketune54

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kricketune54

Wasn't originally planning on doing this but I really got going last night and had a good amount of time today to iron things out for the submission.

Not much for RH to do at 50-52 because the melody chord line has ended... so I did my best to pull out a fairly active part and pull the LH down an octave (to where it actually is in the song)

Kricketune54

Made a couple of small changes and reuploaded files; took off the staccatos from the LH rhythm and added an mp before the crescendo beginning in 42

Static

Alright, more Kirby 64 replacements! That game really needs them lol

- m1 beat 3.5 should be F instead of G, in both the RH and LH
- It sounds like there's some additional harmony in m1 RH:

- For those breaks in m5/16/etc., what you have written is correct, but I hear the low 16th note part as more prominent (the same voice that you included in m50-52). Consider including that instead, if you want (maybe raising it up an octave as well).
- m13/29/45 LH beat 3.5: There's an additional Eb here
- The Dbs in the melody in m13/20/29/30 should be C#s, since they're chromatically ascending.
- m34-42ish would look better in bass clef imo
- m41 RH: The bottom voice I think moves to Fn on beat 4
- m47 RH: I think only the middle voice moves, the D on the bottom should also just be a whole note.
- m49 RH: Watch the spacing here
- m50-52 RH: I hear this completely differently:

- m50-52 LH: Instead of moving the bassline down an octave, consider either A: remove the low Gs from the LH part, making it a bit simpler in the process (or perhaps raising the entire line up an octave), or B: only move the LH Gs down an octave, keeping the Ds as they were. It sounds a bit jarring having the bassline shift so low like that for just a few measures.
- For the last two systems, I would recommend having 5 measures per system, then 3 (m50-52). Or alternatively, add an extra system and do 4-2-2.

Kricketune54

Quote from: Static on September 12, 2021, 11:11:51 AMAlright, more Kirby 64 replacements! That game really needs them lol

Yeah only 4 Commander6's to go right haha

Quote- m1 beat 3.5 should be F instead of G, in both the RH and LH
- It sounds like there's some additional harmony in m1 RH:

Fixed these all

Quote- For those breaks in m5/16/etc., what you have written is correct, but I hear the low 16th note part as more prominent (the same voice that you included in m50-52). Consider including that instead, if you want (maybe raising it up an octave as well).

Yeah more or less I had an easier time hearing the part I put.  The moving inner voices with this one were very hard for me to pick out but I have switched so that it is in line with 50-52, albeit up an octave and with the rhythms I thought I heard for these parts

Quote- m13/29/45 LH beat 3.5: There's an additional Eb here

Fixed

- The Dbs in the melody in m13/20/29/30 should be C#s, since they're chromatically ascending.

Quote- m34-42ish would look better in bass clef imo
- m41 RH: The bottom voice I think moves to Fn on beat 4
- m47 RH: I think only the middle voice moves, the D on the bottom should also just be a whole note.
- m49 RH: Watch the spacing here

This section is fixed. I did let 49 RH go back to the spot finale wanted to by default though

Quote- m50-52 RH: I hear this completely differently:

- m50-52 LH: Instead of moving the bassline down an octave, consider either A: remove the low Gs from the LH part, making it a bit simpler in the process (or perhaps raising the entire line up an octave), or B: only move the LH Gs down an octave, keeping the Ds as they were. It sounds a bit jarring having the bassline shift so low like that for just a few measures.

I probably could've taken a better stab at this part.  Fixed and took option A (left just the D's in the LH part, and made it so they are same octave as rest of song)

Quote- For the last two systems, I would recommend having 5 measures per system, then 3 (m50-52). Or alternatively, add an extra system and do 4-2-2.

I made 45-50 2 systems of 5 and 3 measures

Static

Most of the things look good!

- All the 8th notes for that part you added in m5, etc. should probably be staccato
- m5 RH: This starts on beat 1.5 with a G, beat 1 is an 8th rest.
- m16-17 RH sounds more like this to me (the D on beat 2.5 of m16 is moved up an octave):

- m21 RH: should look the same as m5
- m32-33 RH: should look the same as m16-17
- m49: Generally, bottom layers should be aligned to the right of the top layer when there are 2nds (this is why Finale defaults to having Layer 1 flipped up and Layer 2 down). It should look like this:

The spacing here is more efficiently used than before, the natural sign for the F isn't all the way out to the left, and generally I think it looks slightly cleaner.
- m50-52: Looking at this part again, you could also remove the Gs from the RH, and add the LH Gs back in. That would make the RH part a lot easier to play, but still sound pretty rhythmic. You can also remove the repeated D in m51 for added playability. Up to you.

Kricketune54

Static

Just a few last things:

- I'd recommend beaming across beats 1-2 of m17/33 RH to keep the beaming consistent across the sheet
- Maybe remove the last D of m33 RH (make the previous F a staccato 8th instead), so that the D isn't restruck so fast between m33-34.
- The crescendo in m42 got messed up somehow, it's colliding with the mp now

Kricketune54

Quote from: Static on September 12, 2021, 02:03:34 PM- Maybe remove the last D of m33 RH (make the previous F a staccato 8th instead), so that the D isn't restruck so fast between m33-34.

Yeah that makes sense to me.  Addressed all comments and reuploaded

Static

Bloop

Looks very nice already!
Quote from: Static on September 12, 2021, 01:38:09 PM- m5 RH: This starts on beat 1.5 with a G, beat 1 is an 8th rest.
- m16-17 RH sounds more like this to me (the D on beat 2.5 of m16 is moved up an octave):
I actually hear a B instead of a G on beat 1.5 of m5 (and m21), a (low) G on beat 2.5 of m16 (and 32) instead of a D, a C on beat 1.5 of m17 (and 33) instead of a D as well as a G on beat 4 instead of an F.
-m45 R.H.: I hear F-Ab-C on beat 3 (instead of Db-F-C). Also, you could lengthen the crescendo a bit so it includes the Bb in the L.H. too:
You cannot view this attachment.
-m51 R.H.: I hear this at beats 3 and 4:
-Also, a very minor thing, but the spacing of the top staff on pages 2 and 3 feels pretty low to me. Maybe you could heighten it a bit to about the same height as the top of the composer text?
Here's a comparison of page 2 heightened and page 3 as you have now, as well as a bit of page 1:
Spoiler
[close]

Kricketune54

Quote from: Bloop on September 20, 2021, 02:43:16 AMLooks very nice already!I actually hear a B instead of a G on beat 1.5 of m5 (and m21), a (low) G on beat 2.5 of m16 (and 32) instead of a D, a C on beat 1.5 of m17 (and 33) instead of a D as well as a G on beat 4 instead of an F.

Gave this section a pretty deep deconstruction through pitching up and slowing the tempo in Audacity.  The rhythms are mostly the same with a few changes, but to me they came out very clearly through this process, so I have linked the file if you dare to put your ears through it  ;) 

Neo Star but it randomly slows down and pitches up when it gets hard to hear the areas I needed to change based off feedback

Quote-m45 R.H.: I hear F-Ab-C on beat 3 (instead of Db-F-C). Also, you could lengthen the crescendo a bit so it includes the Bb in the L.H. too:

Fixed!  I guess I had thought that it was more of a melody crescendo but I see it looks better this way

-m51 R.H.: I hear this at beats 3 and 4:
[/quote]

Gave this another listen, simplifications and all this is what I hear
Spoiler
[close]

Quote-Also, a very minor thing, but the spacing of the top staff on pages 2 and 3 feels pretty low to me. Maybe you could heighten it a bit to about the same height as the top of the composer text?
Here's a comparison of page 2 heightened and page 3 as you have now, as well as a bit of page 1:
Spoiler
[close]

Fixed this spacing- though I hope page 3 isn't too high now.  Files updated

Static

For that weird voice in m5, etc., I still hear it mostly as I did before:

- m5/21 beat 1.5 I still hear as G
- I still hear m16-17 a little closer to how I had it (but with some more differences I didn't catch before):

- For m51 beat 4, I still hear the first 16th note as D instead of E, but yeah the second 16th is F.

This voice is pretty tricky to hear clearly, but I think raising it up the octave helps a lot.

Kricketune54

Quote from: Static on September 20, 2021, 08:08:23 PMFor that weird voice in m5, etc., I still hear it mostly as I did before:

- m5/21 beat 1.5 I still hear as G

Listened to a bunch of times, still with Bloop on this

Quote- I still hear m16-17 a little closer to how I had it (but with some more differences I didn't catch before):

- For m51 beat 4, I still hear the first 16th note as D instead of E, but yeah the second 16th is F.

Okay... m16 completely agree.  However, I hear m17 still as follows:

There isn't a chance you're hearing beat 4.5 for m51?  I do hear that as a D after E and F on beat 4 and 4.25, but have left it out to simplify the part

Reuploaded files with the small changes

Static

Ah yeah I hear the B there now in 5/21, and beat 4 of m51 is also appears to be E too, so yeah looks good (beat 4.5 still sounds like E though like you had in that earlier screenshot - but keep it simplified).

m17 I hear what you have now up until beat 4; those upper 16ths still sound like Fs to me.