Series: Other
Game: Celeste
Console: Multiplatform
Title: wavedash.ppt
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: mastersuperfan

[attachment deleted by admin]

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Kricketune54

Hello everyone thank you all for coming today.  Today we will be talking about wavedash, what it is and how to wavedash in Super Smash Bros. Melee *next slide*.  Super Smash Bros. Melee is a fighting game released in 2001 for Nintendo GameCube *next slide*.  Due to the rushed nature of the game... zzzzzzzzzz

Something I noticed is the repeated accompaniment rhythm that starts in m2 (the full measure).  I hear the bass go from G to Bb on 2.5 and 3.0, whereas the organ is repeated as you have it.  I feel like the bass part goes better there unless you think it sounded better the way you put it.

Also, would it make sense to give this a performance instruction like Bossa Nova or something laid back?

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Kricketune54 on August 18, 2021, 07:30:37 PMSomething I noticed is the repeated accompaniment rhythm that starts in m2 (the full measure).  I hear the bass go from G to Bb on 2.5 and 3.0, whereas the organ is repeated as you have it.  I feel like the bass part goes better there unless you think it sounded better the way you put it.
Good point, I've changed that.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on August 18, 2021, 07:30:37 PMAlso, would it make sense to give this a performance instruction like Bossa Nova or something laid back?
I don't really feel the need to add that as a character marking, but I'll see if I think if anything else I'd like to add instead.

Thanks for taking a look!
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

PlayfulPiano

Can't Catch That Bird?

For starters, while I know you wrote it as such here, I do think that keeping the right hand in the original octave at m5+ is a better plan than moving it up one. There aren't many cases in which the left hand clashes with the right on the same exact beat, so I don't see much of a drawback to have it where your right hand plays for example a C and the next 1/2 beat later your left hand plays a chord over a similar area.

m9 beat 4ish? I think the left hand moves upwards, not downwards, in the accompaniment. Not quite sure what note but that's the general direction of the lower note that I'm hearing.

m12 I think in the right hand there's an F grace note right before beat 1.5 on the G.

Besides that, if you want to like double check any pitches that I might've missed, I did a quick audacity sync btwn the original & the currently submitted version midi if you want to maybe use that as a guide for proofreading or something similar. 80% sure that you also need the mid/mp3 files with it for it to work so hopefully it *does* work, but either way if it doesn't work you can probably just do it on your own computer and set it up using the time shift tool idk.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p4tqzZFsdBV38d4Sd87BXfJMCPNE51Wl/view?usp=sharing

mastersuperfan

Quote from: PlayfulPiano on August 18, 2021, 08:50:19 PMFor starters, while I know you wrote it as such here, I do think that keeping the right hand in the original octave at m5+ is a better plan than moving it up one. There aren't many cases in which the left hand clashes with the right on the same exact beat, so I don't see much of a drawback to have it where your right hand plays for example a C and the next 1/2 beat later your left hand plays a chord over a similar area.
I chose to move it up because, even if they don't play the exact same notes in most cases, they still fall in very similar ranges, and I don't want the melody to be lost within the chords (e.g. m6 beat 4, m8 beat 4). Apart from that, I actually think it sounds better in the upper octave, too—I feel that it better matches the timbre of the melody in the original.

Quote from: PlayfulPiano on August 18, 2021, 08:50:19 PMm9 beat 4ish? I think the left hand moves upwards, not downwards, in the accompaniment. Not quite sure what note but that's the general direction of the lower note that I'm hearing.
I transcribed the bassline part there, which moves downward as far as I can tell.

Quote from: PlayfulPiano on August 18, 2021, 08:50:19 PMm12 I think in the right hand there's an F grace note right before beat 1.5 on the G.
Nice catch, fixed.

Thanks for taking a look!

Latios212

Quote from: PlayfulPiano on August 18, 2021, 08:50:19 PMm9 beat 4ish? I think the left hand moves upwards, not downwards, in the accompaniment. Not quite sure what note but that's the general direction of the lower note that I'm hearing.
Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 21, 2021, 10:24:44 AMI transcribed the bassline part there, which moves downward as far as I can tell.
I think other places (like m. 1) also have the bass move downward from beats 4-4.5. But I think it'd be good to have them up since that makes more sense for the piano arrangement - m. 9 included. (That would also let the beam go under the notes like everywhere else...)

Other than that:
- What's "Celeste: Farewell" vs. Celeste, the game title as submitted? Do we need a separate entry or should we label this under Celeste?
- Opening dynamic
- You might want to fiddle with the note positions a bit in m. 9 in particular because that grace note is pretty squished
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Latios212 on August 25, 2021, 08:49:33 PMI think other places (like m. 1) also have the bass move downward from beats 4-4.5. But I think it'd be good to have them up since that makes more sense for the piano arrangement - m. 9 included. (That would also let the beam go under the notes like everywhere else...)

Other than that:
- What's "Celeste: Farewell" vs. Celeste, the game title as submitted? Do we need a separate entry or should we label this under Celeste?
- Opening dynamic
- You might want to fiddle with the note positions a bit in m. 9 in particular because that grace note is pretty squished
Farewell is free DLC for Celeste, specifically having its own OST. iirc when I was working on the beyond the heart arrangement it was decided for it to just be called "Celeste" and fall under the same game category.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Latios212 on August 25, 2021, 08:49:33 PMI think other places (like m. 1) also have the bass move downward from beats 4-4.5. But I think it'd be good to have them up since that makes more sense for the piano arrangement - m. 9 included. (That would also let the beam go under the notes like everywhere else...)

Other than that:
- Opening dynamic
all fixed

Quote from: Latios212 on August 25, 2021, 08:49:33 PM- What's "Celeste: Farewell" vs. Celeste, the game title as submitted? Do we need a separate entry or should we label this under Celeste?
Quote from: PlayfulPiano on August 26, 2021, 05:01:55 AMFarewell is free DLC for Celeste, specifically having its own OST. iirc when I was working on the beyond the heart arrangement it was decided for it to just be called "Celeste" and fall under the same game category.

It's free DLC (not a re-release or standalone game), but with a separate soundtrack release. See the bottom of this post here: https://www.ninsheetmusic.org/forum/index.php?topic=10932.msg416390#msg416390

Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 05, 2020, 08:18:04 PMAlso, for the record, I think the best way to list the sheet on-site would be to put it under the same Celeste section, but keep the subtitle on the sheet as Celeste: Farewell. I think most visitors to the site would look for this under Celeste before searching for a separate section for a DLC expansion that isn't even its own game.
Quote from: PlayfulPiano on January 11, 2020, 07:02:35 PMAlright, that's a good compromise imo. Will fix it upon doing the update.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

A few small bass things:
- The bass at the end of m4 sounds like a quarter note Bn
- The bass in m9 beat 4.5 sounds like a C (below the D)

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Static on August 28, 2021, 12:23:07 PM- The bass at the end of m4 sounds like a quarter note Bn
I deliberately omitted the Bn in favor of the G in the other voice that I felt led better into m5.

Quote from: Static on August 28, 2021, 12:23:07 PM- The bass in m9 beat 4.5 sounds like a C (below the D)
Hmm, I don't hear this. Even if there is a C somewhere, I'd prefer to keep the Bb I have now.

Static

I don't hear the G in m4... the Bn is very prominent to me and I'd argue better leads into m5 bc of the chromatic movement. I think what bothers me more is that I just don't hear any bass note on beat 4.5 at all so it sounds weird to me in the sheet compared to the original.

As for m9, I still clearly hear the C there, it's even more clear when raised an octave. I don't hear Bb at all there. On beat 4, the bass goes G-D (both 8th notes).

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Static on August 29, 2021, 05:07:45 PMI don't hear the G in m4... the Bn is very prominent to me and I'd argue better leads into m5 bc of the chromatic movement. I think what bothers me more is that I just don't hear any bass note on beat 4.5 at all so it sounds weird to me in the sheet compared to the original.

As for m9, I still clearly hear the C there, it's even more clear when raised an octave. I don't hear Bb at all there. On beat 4, the bass goes G-D (both 8th notes).

I'm referencing the other voice besides the bass for those notes, sorry if that wasn't clear. (Although I still don't hear the C in m9 regardless)

Static

Man I'm really stupid
The C I was referring to is m10 beat 4.5. What you have in m9 is correct (and m4 is fine as is)
Sorry for the confusion