[DELETED] [NDS] Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - "Time Hole To The Past" by WobbliestGem

Started by Zeta, May 28, 2021, 01:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Time Hole To The Past
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: WobbliestGem

Zeila

There's quite a bit of work to be done with this one, so I would advice listening to the song again and doing whatever is necessary to make the process easier for you (e.g. modifying pitches or slowing down the speed). To get you started, here are some issues I found

Formatting errors:
  • I've seen at least four different names for this, with the three others being "Travellin' to the Past", "Time Hole (To Past)", and "Time Travel To The Past". I'm not sure which one would be better to use, so it's just something to think about
  • For stuff that is possible to do in MuseScore, you had the wrong size for the subtitle, the wrong font and size for the copyright, and the copyright is incorrect; the real copyright should be:
    Nintendo, AlphaDream © 2005
    https://www.ninsheetmusic.org/
  • In general, do check out the Submission Guidelines as well as the general page layout/formatting guide so that there's less work to be done after it's submitted
  • There's a WIP program made by cacabish that you could use to reduce the amount of formatting errors during the conversion from Musescore-exported musicxml files to Finale
  • The systems don't need to be spaced out that much

Before getting into any note stuff, I noticed that the YouTube link you posted seems to repeat back to measure 9 and fade out very quickly instead of the ending you wrote. I don't know what it sounds like in game though so I'm not sure what the best way to write that is

Note presentation:
  • This is really fast and would be better suited for 2/2 at half-note = 117 or 118
  • m1-2 you generally shouldn't have a note pass over beat 3 in 4/4 unless it's a half note or more that starts on a downbeat. Check out this basic 4/4 beaming guide by Latios for more details. As such, this would be better if you just replaced the staccato quarter notes with regular eighth notes + eighth rests so that it fits with the rest of the phrase (and the last one on beat 3 of measure 2 should be a half note)

Note accuracy:
  • Nearly the entire RH is incorrect; the bottom notes in measures 1-8 should be on top instead of the bottom, and the harmony below it is mostly 3rds
  • The rhythm is mostly right though apart from m4 beat 3, which should be a staccato'd quarter note instead of two eighth notes
  • There are some missing bass notes in the LH part that I think would be nice to add to flesh things out (e.g. in measure 3 on beat 3, it goes D-A-B-D in eighth notes), and some of the rhythms are wrong if you wrote them solely off of that part (e.g. measures 9 and 10 should be quarter-quarter-eighth-eighth+eighth rest or quarter-eighth -> eighth rest-eighth note-eighth rest-eighth note-quarter-quarter; also personally I would choose to place power/full chords on specific beats instead of every note to add some variety and to emphasize the brass (or whatever else) too, but that's your choice

I did the formatting changes for you, but fixing all the notes and changing up the LH is up to you. To get you started, I did the first 2-3 measures as a guide (that you can change to your liking for the LH part at least). Good luck :3

[MUS]

WobbliestGem

Thank you, I really appreciate it. I will admit that I had trouble with the left hand, so I will go back and look at it.