Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: Treasure Island - Ruins
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Maelstrom

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Maelstrom

Notes:
This is exclusive to the switch port of the game, hence the console title. The composer was sourced from this HAL lab blog post
I tried to go for simplicity above all else here to make it easy to play. If there's any suggestions for m44, I'd love to hear them.
The reason 45-60 is written an octave lower and 61-end is an octave higher than the original was intentional. There needs to be the differentiation between the two, and putting the 2nd one in its original octave interferes with the LH, but that can't be moved an octave lower without sounding muddy and heavier than the original. Besides, it sounds fine this way too.

cashwarrior1

For measure 44, I don't see any problem adding the grace note pick ups tied into dotted half note. It makes it feel a little more full, which makes the fullness of the next section feel more natural imo. Also, I'm wondering if you could move one of the staves on page 2 to page 3 so things aren't so crowded at the top of the pages (and so page 3 doesn't just have 2 lines).

On a side note, I don't really think the section at 45 needs pedal (at least until 61) and I think the playback would sound nicer without. Though, that's really just a performer's choice so probably not important lol

Latios212

Megumi Ohara... rings a bell. From recent Kirby games I guess?

Quote from: Maelstrom on May 09, 2021, 02:21:20 PMI tried to go for simplicity above all else here to make it easy to play. If there's any suggestions for m44, I'd love to hear them.
I think this works great, no general suggestions from me.

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on May 12, 2021, 05:53:07 AMOn a side note, I don't really think the section at 45 needs pedal (at least until 61) and I think the playback would sound nicer without. Though, that's really just a performer's choice so probably not important lol
I like it since it makes it sound more full (going off of playing on my keyboard, not Finale playback), but I just like pedalling in general :P

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on May 12, 2021, 05:53:07 AMAlso, I'm wondering if you could move one of the staves on page 2 to page 3 so things aren't so crowded at the top of the pages (and so page 3 doesn't just have 2 lines).
I think this would work nicely with 6 (sometimes 5) measures per system, and lowering the music on page 2 slightly, so you'd only need two pages.
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

also when did HAL Laboratory start multiplying (footer info)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Aside from the above, a few other small comments:
- Maybe delay the "cantabile" mark until m. 4 when the melody actually comes in?
- Would definitely suggest including the downwards roll in m. 44 LH
- Misaligned RH notes in m. 51
- Make sure the dots don't clash with the lower layer in m. 51/59
- Courtesy Eb in m. 57 RH? Up to you
- Sounds like the beat 1 LH G of m. 59 should be an octave lower?
- Give the last measure (and maybe the previous few as well) some space at the beginning using the Measure Tool for the roll marks

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Thanks for taking a look. Everything should be updated now.

Latios212

Cool, just a last couple tiny things:

Quote from: Latios212 on May 21, 2021, 05:52:43 PM- Maybe delay the "cantabile" mark until m. 4 when the melody actually comes in?
Measure 4 (where the RH first comes in) instead of measure 7?

Also, you could move the top system (i.e. all the systems) down on page 2 a bit to give the header more space. And the PDF export is doing that weird thing of having a character at the end of the URL...

Anyway, approving once these are good!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Ok finale is being dumb with PDF exports again. No clue how to stop it from adding random characters.

other stuff fixed

Static

- I feel like this is another steel drum situation... but I disagree with some of the octave placements in m21-28. Seems like something more like this:
Spoiler
[close]
I hear the upper octaves as well, but the lower ones in m21 and 25 sound much more prominent to my ears at least.
- To more clearly indicate that you want the volume to drop between m40 and 41, put a forte on beat 2-3 of m40. Right now it's a bit ambiguous as to whether the player should crescendo into the mf or drop back down. If you decide to do this, you might also want to shorten "subito" to "sub." for some extra space.
- m51-52 LH beat 3 should be A
- You can move the dim. up a bit in m59

Maelstrom

All fixed, except for m21, which was discussed over discord (I didn't move it)

files updated

Static

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Static.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot