News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

[NES] Shadowgate - "Battle to the Death" by Atcero

Started by Zeta, April 28, 2021, 03:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Shadowgate
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Battle to the Death
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Atcero

[attachment deleted by admin]

Atcero

My easy song for my arrangements this submission period.
Quote from: Dudeman"When Atcero and Dudeman are busy whooping Maelstrom's ass, Alfonzo mans the Spirit Train."

Spoiler
[close]

Libera

Quote from: Atcero on April 28, 2021, 03:03:03 PMMy easy song for my arrangements this submission period.

I always like an easy submission haha.

Formatting changes:

Before I start, let me say that I don't particularly mind having to make formatting changes every time.  That being said, I don't think it's helpful to you as an arranger to be leaving the formatting to the updaters for every submission.  I understand that formatting goes wonky during conversion, but the ideal situation should be that you have your sheet perfectly formatted to begin with, you convert (things go wrong) and then you tell us in the submission what you need us to fix.  At the moment, I'm not sure that you're thinking about the presentation of your sheets because your expectation is that we will fix everything.  Presenting everything properly is an important part of the arranging process and it is something that you should learn how to do.  With that in mind, I've tried to give a bit more justification for my formatting changes below, so that you can understand the process a bit better.

-Staff separation to 1" off of 0.88".  Unless there's a specific reason for wanting narrower margins, I think this is the best.
-No page resize, instead resize staff to 0.65cm.  It makes more sense to scale the music itself to fit it onto the page, rather than all of the lettering/titles etc.  0.65cm is simply the size that I think looks best, but it is also a standard.  If you prefer something else then that is OK as well, although I think widely this size is considered the nicest for reading.
-Fix margins on top, bottom and RHS to be 0.5.  It is important to make your sheet look even that these match, but the LH margin is often left slightly larger for hole-punching.  The specific values of 0.5 are widely used on the site and on the NSM template.
-Align copyright and title/game name.  Obviously aligning things to the margins is important!
-Align systems 2-5 to the LH margin.  Ditto.
-Moved on to one page, four bar system changed to be system 5 since there are less accidentals there.  Having an extra system on a new page is irritating, although sometimes unavoidable.  Here I think you can easily avoid it by simply moving to 5 systems on page 1.

Ok, with formatting out of the way.  Here are the rest of my comments:

-I think the key signature is probably best as Cm (3 flats).  In the bass we then have I -> bII every bar and then in the second section we have V -> VI every bar, which makes a lot of sense.  G/Em (1 sharp) doesn't really make any sense to me.
-The RH should be an octave higher (it doesn't need an 8va though).
-Missing a repeat at the end.
-Accidentals.  Lots of changes here.  In the left hand these should be Dbs rather than C#s and Abs rather than G#s (in bars 1-8).  A#s, D#s and G#s in the right hand make much more sense as Bbs, Ebs and Abs.  In bars 9-16 the left hand G#s and D#s should also be Abs and Ebs.  See that it mirrors bars 1-8.
-The Gn on beat 4.5 of bar 1, 5, etc should be an F#.
-The An on beat 4.5 of bar 2, 6 etc should be on beat 4.
-Courtesy accidentals.  I'm normally the last person to suggest these, but there are a lot of accidentals going on in this piece so they could be helpful.  Particularly:
--Abs on beat 1 of bar 3, 11, 15 (not 7 since if you follow my suggested layout then it will be at the start of a new system and so isn't as necessary).
--Dn on beat 4.5 of bar 3 and 7 since it is concurrent with a Db in the left hand (and no Dn has been played before).
--Maybe Bbs on beat 1 of bar 2, 6 and 14 (not 7 since if you follow my suggested layout then it will be at the start of a new system and so isn't as necessary).

If you can try making as many of these changes as you can yourself (including the formatting ones!) that would be great.  I don't expect you to be able to do everything, but I think it would be a good idea to have a go.  (You may need to do this by making changes in musescore first, before converting it again).  If all else fails I do have a file with all of these changes on it.  Here's a picture of how it looks:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

Atcero

Quote from: Dudeman"When Atcero and Dudeman are busy whooping Maelstrom's ass, Alfonzo mans the Spirit Train."

Spoiler
[close]

Libera

Quote from: Atcero on May 02, 2021, 06:43:12 PMThat looks fine to me, thank you so much!

I'm not sure what this post means.  Did you have a go at making these changes yourself?  I'm sure Musescore has settings to swap measurement systems, which was one of the things you were confused about.

Atcero

It does but not to the effect you have. I can post my version for sure after work but the most I could find definitively was the side page margin systems. I did also find system spacing but that is in SP rather than inches or millimeters which will take time to convert it seems. If you want to upload the version you have that works for me, otherwise mine will still need adjustments between the systems.

Spoiler
[close]

Atcero

Got it as updated as I can, thank you! It still may need a few formatting things in terms of the staff spacing however.

Spoiler
[close]

Libera

Quote from: Atcero on May 06, 2021, 05:14:53 PMGot it as updated as I can, thank you! It still may need a few formatting things in terms of the staff spacing however.

Cool, thank you.  I edited the margins and staff separation + modified the courtesy accidentals as above (maybe these didn't survive / were difficult to do in musescore?)  If there's anything changed that you didn't want, let me know.

Have an approval.

Latios212

Looking good! The tempo should be q = 150, not 170.

Quote from: Libera on May 01, 2021, 02:10:33 PM-Missing a repeat at the end.
This is the only thing that's still missing :)

I'll get these and accept!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot