News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

[PC] OMORI - "Title" by PlayfulPiano

Started by Zeta, April 28, 2021, 12:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: OMORI
Console: PC
Title: Title
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: PlayfulPiano

[attachment deleted by admin]

PlayfulPiano

Short and sweet arrangement of the Title theme. Had some time to work on this one while I'm going through finals week. Will work on OMORI - 168 once that's all done.

Hopefully this doesn't have any issues.

(Note: I structured the note positions based on which hand is playing them. I decided against separating some of the mid-measure chords into both hands based on how I tested out the flow of the piece)

Edit: fixed the pickup measure aspect
Edit 2: fixed the pickup measure aspect but on playback

PlayfulPiano

Updated to add in some slurs/theory based notation changes thanks to some discord feedback from orecta.

XiaoMigros

Cool! Hope you learned a bit from me^^
Here I made a few more small changes, namely:
  • Setting the left margin to 0.5 instead of 1
  • I think there was some sort of system numbering? Anyway, that seems to have disappeared now
  • I also made a few more minor adjustments to the slurs
To me it looks ready to be accepted but there's probably some stuff I missed that an updater will help you with :)

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: XiaoMigros on May 06, 2021, 08:46:02 AMCool! Hope you learned a bit from me^^
Here I made a few more small changes, namely:
  • Setting the left margin to 0.5 instead of 1
  • I think there was some sort of system numbering? Anyway, that seems to have disappeared now
  • I also made a few more minor adjustments to the slurs
To me it looks ready to be accepted but there's probably some stuff I missed that an updater will help you with :)
Alright, done with those changes outside of the left margin. I think it's normal to have the left margin set to 1.

PlayfulPiano

I *think* I fixed that weird 3 in the bottom of the page in the pdf file.

Should be good now, guess it's some finale bug.

Latios212

Notes look pretty good! Some things to think about regarding the layout:
- You have ample space on the sheet, so move the composer/arranges info down a bit so it doesn't occupy the same horizontal space as the subtitle. The staves can move down a bit similarly as well.
- I think a left margin of 1" is a little too big unless you're creating a sheet specifically for hole punching. I think something like 0.6-0.7" would work a little better.
- I think the half rests in measure 4 and 5 would be better off a few notches down, below the top staff, to make them a bit more conspicuous.
- It looks like this is by design as you wrote it, but the quarter note + quarter rest in the pickup look a bit odd centered in the middle of the measure. There is too much space to the left of the note that isn't similarly present in other measures, and I don't think other sheets do something like that. Additionally, try to avoid using the Note Position tool manually if possible because editing the measure can reset the positions in certain cases. I would instead recommend re-entering or clearing the manual position on these notes and instead go to Measure Tool > Edit Measure Attributes and set the Extra Space at Beginning value to something (I think 0.1 would work alright).
- You can also use that tool to give measures more space at the beginning when there are roll markings on beat 1 so the roll markings aren't disproportionately squeezed between the barline and the note like they are now. I typically use a value of 0.05 for this.

With the last two comments in mind, the intro could look something like this - let me know if you disagree with it:
You cannot view this attachment.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Latios212 on May 09, 2021, 08:47:11 PMNotes look pretty good! Some things to think about regarding the layout:
- You have ample space on the sheet, so move the composer/arranges info down a bit so it doesn't occupy the same horizontal space as the subtitle. The staves can move down a bit similarly as well.
- I think a left margin of 1" is a little too big unless you're creating a sheet specifically for hole punching. I think something like 0.6-0.7" would work a little better.
- I think the half rests in measure 4 and 5 would be better off a few notches down, below the top staff, to make them a bit more conspicuous.
- It looks like this is by design as you wrote it, but the quarter note + quarter rest in the pickup look a bit odd centered in the middle of the measure. There is too much space to the left of the note that isn't similarly present in other measures, and I don't think other sheets do something like that. Additionally, try to avoid using the Note Position tool manually if possible because editing the measure can reset the positions in certain cases. I would instead recommend re-entering or clearing the manual position on these notes and instead go to Measure Tool > Edit Measure Attributes and set the Extra Space at Beginning value to something (I think 0.1 would work alright).
- You can also use that tool to give measures more space at the beginning when there are roll markings on beat 1 so the roll markings aren't disproportionately squeezed between the barline and the note like they are now. I typically use a value of 0.05 for this.

With the last two comments in mind, the intro could look something like this - let me know if you disagree with it:
You cannot view this attachment.

Huh, never knew you could use measure attributes for chord roll spacing. I always did those spacings manually. Do you just like set all the measures to have that 0.05 spacing by default by just copying all measures and setting it then at the end as a rule of thumb?

Anyways, the submission is updated with the changes you mentioned.

Latios212

Quote from: PlayfulPiano on May 09, 2021, 09:10:00 PMDo you just like set all the measures to have that 0.05 spacing by default by just copying all measures and setting it then at the end as a rule of thumb?
I always set it individually on each measure that has a rolled chord in it; other measures should stay the default 0. So I'd suggest changing the values in measures 5 and 7 back to 0.

Aside from that, only other thing I can see is that the first system has a right margin where it shouldn't. You can also probably raise the first system slightly. Otherwise looks good :P

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Latios212 on May 12, 2021, 03:11:52 PMI always set it individually on each measure that has a rolled chord in it; other measures should stay the default 0. So I'd suggest changing the values in measures 5 and 7 back to 0.

Aside from that, only other thing I can see is that the first system has a right margin where it shouldn't. You can also probably raise the first system slightly. Otherwise looks good :P

all done :)

Latios212

Cool. One last thing - for some reason the measure number is showing in measure 7. I think you can fix that by using the Measure Tool, right clicking the box for it, and choosing "Show/Hide based on region".

Other than that, approved!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Latios212 on May 13, 2021, 04:10:17 PMCool. One last thing - for some reason the measure number is showing in measure 7. I think you can fix that by using the Measure Tool, right clicking the box for it, and choosing "Show/Hide based on region".

Other than that, approved!
stg i don't get why there's all these random formatting issues that just happen out of nowhere.

fixed.

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

This music sounds like someone is swishing a deflated dodgeball from my elementary school gym class in my ears.
- The mp at the beginning should be moved down a bit to be better centered between the two staves.
- I hear the RH G on m2 beat 1.5 doubled an octave down. Might be an overtone/ghost note though. Up to you on whether to include it.
- The RH rests in m4/5 should be hidden since the half notes are really just an extension of the LH layer into the RH, not a whole new RH layer.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 18, 2021, 06:57:57 PMThis music sounds like someone is swishing a deflated dodgeball from my elementary school gym class in my ears.
lmao fitting description for the game
Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 18, 2021, 06:57:57 PM- The mp at the beginning should be moved down a bit to be better centered between the two staves.
- I hear the RH G on m2 beat 1.5 doubled an octave down. Might be an overtone/ghost note though. Up to you on whether to include it.
- The RH rests in m4/5 should be hidden since the half notes are really just an extension of the LH layer into the RH, not a whole new RH layer.
-done
-i think what you're hearing is the sustain/reverb/echo of the left hand g3 in b1 there.
-done