News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

[GCN] Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness - "Jovi is Sad" by Kricketune54

Started by Zeta, April 24, 2021, 01:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness
Console: Nintendo GameCube
Title: Jovi is Sad
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Kricketune54

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kricketune54

This is actually a deleted track from Gale of Darkness, but I found it in the OST and really wanted to arrange it.  It's a beautiful short song.

Open to changing up the pedal as it is currently, but I wanted to somehow capture the reverberating acoustics of the original.  There's also some parts where pitches (m21 and 25) clash due to being in the same octaves between the strings and vocal parts.  I don't know if anyone thinks it's big enough an issue to maybe change the octave one of those parts, or to flat out delete some of the notes.

Also not sure why the tie in RH m21 is also acting weird.

Zeila

Neat :> . I don't have much to say and the way you wrote out the top layer from m15-end is fine with me
  • m7/21/27/28 since the B is shared between the LH and RH, you could omit it from the LH
  • m8/22 missing C at the bottom, although it also sounds like there's an extra Gb in the RH but it's probably better to omit that one; this is also a Cm7b5 chord (I think) so the sharps should be written as flats instead
  • m24 LH the dotted quarter should just be an eighth note, and then there's a quarter F right after it; the first note also just sounds like it's only B instead of having the F on top

Aside from that I did some minor formatting fixes, such as adjusting the margins, adding spaces before arpeggio markings, and adjusting note/rest positions
[MUS]

Kricketune54

Quote from: Zeila on May 18, 2021, 02:41:27 PM
  • m7/21/27/28 since the B is shared between the LH and RH, you could omit it from the LH

I put in parentheses if that's okay?  Trying to indicate it's more of a held note; let me know if you think parentheses should go on RH instead.

Quote from: Zeila on May 18, 2021, 02:41:27 PM
  • m8/22 missing C at the bottom, although it also sounds like there's an extra Gb in the RH but it's probably better to omit that one; this is also a Cm7b5 chord (I think) so the sharps should be written as flats instead

I'm not hearing the C at the bottom with Audacity (pitched up) but if you think it sounds better to have it at the bottom it's fine with me.

Fixed the other stuff though; files resubmitted

[/list]

Latios212

Sorry for the wait! Nice piece.

- For m. 1/3/15/17 I would suggest omitting the accent and slur on the eighth notes. I don't think there's enough of a marked difference between how those notes are played vs. the rest of that layer. There's nothing else going on so those notes will stand out by themselves.
- I don't think the LH chord is supposed to have an E in m. 12 and 26
- The LH in m. 13, 27, 28 sounds to me like it should just be the C on the bottom
- There's no LH A in m. 18, you could tie over the previous D instead
- Half note in m. 19 should be flipped down
- I think the A in the upper (vocal) line in m. 21 lands on beat 2 instead of 2.5, overlapping the A in the other layer. That would be neater to write as well.
- I think I'd prefer beat 1 of m. 23 as separate noteheads similar to m. 15, though this is fine to keep if you want. Those last couple notes in the lower layer should be flipped down though.
- Subtle, but m. 24 beat 1 should have the A tied over from the previous measure instead of an eighth rest
- There's no "fine", so just use "D.S." at the end instead.

Quote from: Zeila on May 18, 2021, 02:41:27 PMm8/22 missing C at the bottom
Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 19, 2021, 06:51:38 PMI'm not hearing the C at the bottom with Audacity (pitched up) but if you think it sounds better to have it at the bottom it's fine with me.
I don't think it's there. It sounds a bit too heavy and dissonant with that included.

Quote from: Zeila on May 18, 2021, 02:41:27 PMm24 LH the dotted quarter should just be an eighth note, and then there's a quarter F right after it
I'm hearing this as just a dotted quarter note B, no F until beat 2.5.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 19, 2021, 06:51:38 PMI put in parentheses if that's okay?  Trying to indicate it's more of a held note; let me know if you think parentheses should go on RH instead.
Parentheses are fine but they should be added using the Articulation Tool instead of the Text Tool.

Lemme know if you need help with any of the above!

Also, do you have a source for the track title? I found this other video with comments (though ofc this probably isn't an official title either)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Quote from: Latios212 on May 21, 2021, 05:43:20 PM- I don't think the LH chord is supposed to have an E in m. 12 and 26

yeah I think I heard the E carry over from earlier in the measure by mistake originally. Fixed

Quote- The LH in m. 13, 27, 28 sounds to me like it should just be the C on the bottom
I'm a little confused if you are hearing C E B in 14 but do not in 13, 27, 28.  I can understand I probably got thrown off by the reverb.  I have left the same in 14 though I would expect 13-14 and 27-28 to be the same.

Quote- There's no LH A in m. 18, you could tie over the previous D instead

I hear this using Audacity.  I pitched up and can hear a pitch change from D to A between 17 and 18 though it's definitely not as clear as m15-16.  I think the way the song is phrased this makes sense to repeat the same D to A as before.

Quote- I think the A in the upper (vocal) line in m. 21 lands on beat 2 instead of 2.5, overlapping the A in the other layer. That would be neater to write as well.

Thanks, I couldn't seem to pin point what was off here lol

Quote- I think I'd prefer beat 1 of m. 23 as separate noteheads similar to m. 15, though this is fine to keep if you want. Those last couple notes in the lower layer should be flipped down though.

Done

Quote- Subtle, but m. 24 beat 1 should have the A tied over from the previous measure instead of an eighth rest

So much subtlety, Mr. Tawada

QuoteI'm hearing this as just a dotted quarter note B, no F until beat 2.5.
Parentheses are fine but they should be added using the Articulation Tool instead of the Text Tool.

Upon further review I agree and also changed this at m10 to be the same.  This song is very much the same melody and accompaniment in the second section with just the additional vocals.  Also fixed this parentheses bit.

Lemme know if you need help with any of the above!

QuoteAlso, do you have a source for the track title? I found this other video with comments (though ofc this probably isn't an official title either)

I'm just going off the video I posted and a couple youtube and OST links.  It's disappointing GilvaSunner never did the XD OST because there's no "definitive" title to go off lol.  At least Colosseum has that going for it.  Zophar didn't even properly rip the full XD soundtrack.

Between the playlist you linked and the fact that the OST from the channel I was using contained other misidentified tracks or mistranslations (see previous XD submission).  However, I also note that the labels are even worse on the one you linked... like some songs particularly at the end of the playlist are totally wrong, perhaps mixed up.  I played XD a few years ago so I can say that with certainty.

Anyway, I think Jovi is Sad is more appropriate because people have speculated (maybe they know?) where this song was supposed to play in the game (sometime after her dad is kidnapped you have a conversation).  See this youtube video's description and thumbnail for context:
.  I really don't have much to go off of otherwise unfortunately.

I will do a better job of sorting out these titles in the future, I'm not sure why it's so bad for XD but it is a spinoff game from 16 years ago that is not the first thing most Pokemon think of

Everything should be fixed even if not quoted here.  Resubbed

Latios212

Quote from: Latios212 on May 21, 2021, 05:43:20 PM- The LH in m. 13, 27, 28 sounds to me like it should just be the C on the bottom
Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 21, 2021, 10:52:33 PMI'm a little confused if you are hearing C E B in 14 but do not in 13, 27, 28.  I can understand I probably got thrown off by the reverb.  I have left the same in 14 though I would expect 13-14 and 27-28 to be the same.
Mm yeah the emptiness and reverb makes things slightly tricky for this piece. The B is covered in the right hand, so I think the only question is that E in m. 14. I think it makes sense to fill out the chord to pad the dissonant major 7th between the C and the B, but I don't think any of the other chord tones are prominently there. In other words, I guess I'd just write the C there in the left hand too like the other places.

Quote from: Latios212 on May 21, 2021, 05:43:20 PM- There's no LH A in m. 18, you could tie over the previous D instead
Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 21, 2021, 10:52:33 PMI hear this using Audacity.  I pitched up and can hear a pitch change from D to A between 17 and 18 though it's definitely not as clear as m15-16.  I think the way the song is phrased this makes sense to repeat the same D to A as before.
I'm still not hearing another A after m. 17 beat 4, but I'm fine with it being there.

A couple other tiny things - the noteheads for m. 21 beat 2 could overlap, and the subtitle and D.S. have a bit much space around them. With m. 14 adjusted here's a file for you to use if you like (although I realized there's next to no edits lol) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5856sybt4aa9vo/Pok%C3%A9mon%20XD%20Gale%20of%20Darkness%20-%20Jovi%20is%20Sad.mus?dl=1

Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 21, 2021, 10:52:33 PM(stuff about the title)
Thanks, I just wanted to check you had some reasoning - sounds good to me. I don't know anything about this soundtrack so I'll defer to those who know more (you).

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

QuoteA couple other tiny things - the noteheads for m. 21 beat 2 could overlap, and the subtitle and D.S. have a bit much space around them. With m. 14 adjusted here's a file for you to use if you like (although I realized there's next to no edits lol) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5856sybt4aa9vo/Pok%C3%A9mon%20XD%20Gale%20of%20Darkness%20-%20Jovi%20is%20Sad.mus?dl=1

I hope I understood your feedback about space correctly, resubmitted your file plus some space changes

Latios212

Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 22, 2021, 01:28:53 PMI hope I understood your feedback about space correctly, resubmitted your file plus some space changes
Ah it was really tiny, just that the subtitle seemed a bit low and the D.S. a bit high - which I'd poked slightly in the file above.

(The files haven't been reuploaded yet it looks like :P)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Oh sorry I thought I did but looks like I forgot. Should be good now

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on May 21, 2021, 05:43:20 PM- There's no LH A in m. 18, you could tie over the previous D instead
Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 21, 2021, 10:52:33 PMI hear this using Audacity.  I pitched up and can hear a pitch change from D to A between 17 and 18 though it's definitely not as clear as m15-16.  I think the way the song is phrased this makes sense to repeat the same D to A as before.
I also tried messing around with this track in Audacity, and I don't hear the A. Since it's played by the guitar, the attack should be relatively prominent (i.e. have a strumming sound associated with it). Are you sure you're not just hearing the A on beat 4 of the m17 RH being held over?

Everything else looks and sounds good

Kricketune54

Quote from: Static on May 23, 2021, 01:38:45 PMI also tried messing around with this track in Audacity, and I don't hear the A. Since it's played by the guitar, the attack should be relatively prominent (i.e. have a strumming sound associated with it). Are you sure you're not just hearing the A on beat 4 of the m17 RH being held over?

Everything else looks and sounds good

My bad I totally was hearing that the way you said and Latios as well.  Talked with Lat briefly on discord and concluded I'd tie over the D from m17 to 18 in the LH.  I have resubmitted (for real)

Static

Quote from: Kricketune54 on May 23, 2021, 02:46:13 PMMy bad I totally was hearing that the way you said and Latios as well.  Talked with Lat briefly on discord and concluded I'd tie over the D from m17 to 18 in the LH.  I have resubmitted (for real)
Cool, I'll accept then

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Static.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot