News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World - "10:00 A.M." by ayycast

Started by Zeta, March 14, 2021, 08:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Animal Crossing
Game: Animal Crossing: Wild World
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: 10:00 A.M.
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: ayycast

[attachment deleted by admin]

Static

Hey, welcome to NinSheetMusic. In the future, remember to post some kind of audio recording with your sheet to help us check it more effectively/quickly. Here's some quick links I usually use (from the Animal Crossing Wiki): Normal, Rainy, Snowy.

From your file, it looks like you have a full version of Finale, and you definitely have a good grasp of solid transcription and notation practices - great! There's a few general issues I have though:

First of all, we only allow piano arrangements to the site, so you'll have to leave out the percussion parts. You can still include percussion parts if you intend for them to be played by hand (i.e. tapping a pencil), but that's something you'll have to indicate in the score.

Secondly, we usually prefer to go by the original game that a track appeared in. If you weren't aware, all of the hourly music from City Folk was first used in Wild World and are exactly the same pieces. Because of that, I changed the submission title (be sure to change your sheet accordingly). (I also changed the title to match the site's naming conventions for these hourly tunes)

Thirdly, we (mostly me) would really prefer if you include all three variations in the same sheet (here's an example of how that would look). There are several older Animal Crossing sheets on site (mainly from GC and WW) that don't yet have the extra variations, but the rest of them do. It just helps us have a more comprehensive collection of music, and for Animal Crossing tracks it's usually not too much extra effort. Listening again to the Snow and Rain versions, they sound so similar that you should feel free to condense them into one variation (see this as an example). (Also this helps you since now you don't have to submit three separate, almost-identical sheets)

If you have any questions/concerns, let me know

Edit: Also forgot to mention, please look over our formatting guidelines. It's mostly just text stuff, easily fixable.

ayycast

Hey, thank you!

Thanks for letting me know all of that. WW is the only AC game I haven't touched. lol

Got it.
I'll remove those percussion parts, change the title, add the variations, add an audio file and fix the formatting!

I'll definitely keep all this in mind for future posts.  :)

Static

Just to clarify, you don't need to submit an audio file through the NSM panel, just post something in the thread after you submit anything (could be a file link, YouTube video, etc.). You just need the midi of your arrangement for the panel, so you don't need to post anything now bc I did

Static

Alright, feedback time
  • Composer/arranger text should be aligned to the right, and it should be below the game title. You can do this by moving the systems down via the Page Layout Tool. In addition, the composer should just be Kazumi Totaka.
  • Title should be "10:00" rather than just "10", to match with the other sheets on site.
  • The running title is missing the righthand " marking.
  • For the normal variation, the entire RH melody (accordion) sounds like it should all be staccato.
  • m2, 18, 35, 51 LH: Should be C-E instead of C-G.
  • m10, 26, 43, 59 LH: Should be A-C instead of A-E.
  • All of those LH dyads mentioned above might be better if you put an arpeggio marking (the vertical squiggly line, under Articulations) on them, since they're not struck at the same time in the original.
  • Layer 2 beat 1 in m21, 29, and 33 should be moved to the left so it aligns with the proper beat 1 position (you can do just by just deleting that first beat and re-entering it).
  • Layer 2 in m65-66 should be aligned with Layer 1 (again you can just delete and re-enter).
  • The dot on the dotted half note in Layer 1 in m56 and 64 are touching Layer 2. You can move the dots up a little bit with the Dot Tool (under Special Tools).
  • The copyright text and the page number/running title are outside the page margins. You can fix this by using the Text Tool > right-click the handles of each text box > click "Edit Frame Attributes" > set both "V" (vertical) values to 0 (they're on the right side of the box).
  • The running title on page 2 should ideally be the same text size as the page number as well.
  • This is really nitpicky, but the "Snow/Rain" text should have a space on both sides of the /, or no spaces at all, but not just on one side.
Now this is all fine and good, but... I think you could easily get away with writing this entire piece with just 1 staff (still using both hands). There's not a lot going on here, and those LH dyads could easily be added to the top staff in a 2nd layer. In addition, you could probably fit both variations on one page by doing this. Up to you though.

Here's an example of a single-staff arrangement btw, although this one doesn't use any layers.

ayycast

Hey Static!

Thanks for the feedback on this sheet! I'll make the changes and repost.

I definitely agree with your thoughts on putting it all on 1 staff. Makes a lot more sense.

Static

Looks great! Just a few more things:
  • For the normal variation, those long tied dotted quarter notes in the melody should also be staccato quarter notes. The melody is never held in the normal variation.
  • I don't hear the arpeggiation in m21, 25, 29, or 33. I only hear it in the marimba part.
  • The layers still don't line up in m21, 29, 33, or 65-66.
  • The right side of the first staff should line up with the others (you can edit this with the Page Layout Tool, right-clicking on the 1st staff handle, clicking "Edit Margins", and setting the right margin to 0).
  • Right now, the music is spaced pretty tightly. You can adjust this by using the Resize Tool (looks like a % sign), clicking somewhere on the 1st staff, and setting the staff size to 90-95% (I wouldn't recommend going lower than that). This will allow you to space the staves more comfortably.

ayycast

Thanks for your patience and guidance on how I should be tweaking this!

Did not even notice the margins being that way.
Misunderstood what you meant on those arpeggiations and got carried away. Right, the notes were not aligned in layer 1 and 2 on those measures mentioned. Will fix and reupload. (:

Static

Quote from: ayycast on March 21, 2021, 02:23:56 PMThanks for your patience and guidance on how I should be tweaking this!

Did not even notice the margins being that way.
Misunderstood what you meant on those arpeggiations and got carried away. Right, the notes were not aligned in layer 1 and 2 on those measures mentioned. Will fix and reupload. (:
Glad to help! It's all part of the learning process

Just a few last things to fix:
  • I still hear the melody for just the normal variation as being staccato on those long, held notes (in the accordion). Again, this is only for the normal variation, the rainy/snowy variation definitely has the melody held.
  • Since you have so much extra space at the bottom of the page now, you can space apart the staves some more so that the music has some more breathing room. Some of those articulations are getting close to the staves above or below them.
  • You should generally aim to have a fairly even measure distribution. Right now, the last staff of each variation only has two measures, while the others have eight. I think having 6-7 measures per line with 11 lines total looks ideal. I think you'll find this looks aesthetically pleasing.

I have the files here with all these changes for you, so if they look good to you feel free to upload them.

ayycast

Hey Static,

Oh I see! Staccato on the accordion melody for the normal variant on the final note on the melodies motif.
Agreed! I was definitely confusing variations together.

I'll use the sheets you've shared!
Your version is so much more aesthetic with the staves fitting evenly.

In attempting to reconstruct your sheet I've finally figured out what you mean by spacing staves and measure counts on rows. 
Did not realize you could set a measure count for each stave nor did I understand page layout tool could "Space Systems Evenly".
Won't be forgetting those settings in the future! (:

Static

Quote from: ayycast on March 21, 2021, 05:36:57 PMIn attempting to reconstruct your sheet I've finally figured out what you mean by spacing staves and measure counts on rows. 
Did not realize you could set a measure count for each stave nor did I understand page layout tool could "Space Systems Evenly".
Won't be forgetting those settings in the future! (:
Awesome! Yeah, if you ever want to know more about that stuff feel free to ask (either here or in the Discord). There's a lot of nuances when it comes to music engraving, and even the updaters are still learning stuff all the time (mostly from Bespinben). The general idea is trying to get sheets to look as good as they sound, but it takes a lot of practice.

For the measure count, the easiest way is to highlight a selection of measures with the Selection Tool, then press Ctrl+M (or go to Edit > Utilities > Fit Measures). From there, you can set how many measures from that selection you want to fit in a single system (line).

With the Page Layout Tool, you can edit the margins of each system by right-clicking the handles that appear on the top-left of each system (the little squares) and selecting Edit Margins. You can also edit the overall page margins by going to Page Layout on top and selecting Page Margins > Edit Page Margins.

Hope this helps for the future! I'll approve this sheet now

Latios212

Last few things! This is looking good.

- As with the other AC sheets, just use "Rainy / Snowy" instead of "Rainy / Snowy Variation"
- The staccato positioning for the last note in m. 29 is off.
- Some of the note spacings are off in the rainy/snowy variation - m. 54, 58, 62, 66. Go to the Special Tools palette > Note Position Tool, and right click to Remove Manual Adjustments on these notes.
- The lower ties in m. 55 and 63 would be better flipped upwards so that they point away from the lower layer note in the next measure.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Made the above tiny edits for you (there were a few other places where the spacing was a little off too, and the URL was missing a trailing slash). Good to go, let's get this in :)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot