A few Damn's and Hell's here or there
17 (44.7%)
A few F-Words here and there
14 (36.8%)
Unlimited F-Words
4 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Nakah

No one should be taking swearing seriously in the first place. Like I've said, it's only furthering the imaturity of their character. I would say that ridding the site of swearing completely, if it were possible would do nothing to make it better as far as attracting members.

Palagerini

Quote from: blah54 on August 13, 2008, 06:35:41 PMi think a problem is that a lot of newer members seem to think that they will instantly be accepted into the community and thus post as if they believe they're someone known and respected on the forum, when frankly, the new people are not instantly respected...

a prime example of this is (not to single this newer member out), the one who posted something of the likes "I DEMAND Calling of the Night" or something like that in the request topic... and naturally no one likes someone with an attitude like that, EVEN though that person was apparently just joking...

so naturally, the older members of the forum tend to get frustrated quicker because they are the older members of the forum, and i think they expect that newer members be respectful (not in a superiority-inferiority sort of system) but to simply be respectful... and this prompts the usage of swearing and such... if there was a mutual respect between members, then there would be little to no swearing on the forum... i can't speak as being one of the oldest members of the forum, but i've been here for about one year, and it's only recently that the amount of swearing has jumped up...

personally though, i think that no rule should be put on swearing... people should just learn to use swearing for emphasis, on something serious or something important, not as a normal, casual adjective to slap on to the end of your statements... which goes to another point, which is that it seems (to me), that many people post without thinking, but that's a whole different thing...

sorry for the block of text lol...

exactly.. not ban swearing but limit it...

Quote from: Nakah on August 13, 2008, 06:36:52 PMNo one should be taking swearing seriously in the first place. Like I've said, it's only furthering the imaturity of their character. I would say that ridding the site of swearing completely, if it were possible would do nothing to make it better as far as attracting members.

but i don't think were trying to attract new members.. were trying to keep the old ones we have and try to be a more friendlier community in general.. but your right about the character thing and stuff.. it's like um... ( my orignal example was beer...) let's say it's like junk food.. a little bit now and then is good and not bad for u in anyway.. but too much is bad.... =P
Conversation on Shoddy Battle:
<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah. i sent them to her dad

Before you post you might want to make sure you have a couple of these: ..!!??,,,

Feel free to place them wherever.

Davey

Quote from: Nakah on August 13, 2008, 06:06:05 PMIt's alright to swear very occasionally. It's going to happen rarely here and there, at least, that's the ideal mindset that the staff has for that rule. It's not completely forbidden in the rules, but it's not allowed either. I think the staff are trying to get the point across that there's room for leniency on that rule, as long as your swearing isn't excessively abundant. I for one don't personally swear much, ever. It's not that I hold these morals against it; it's that it completely ruins any sense of serious  message your trying to send by making you seem like an immature child who can needs to scream out swear words over everyone in order to feel like he's been heard.

The purpose of it is to attract attention to what your saying, so that people will take you more seriously because of the harshness in your sentence. By doing this, you've actually created the opposite effect, and now everyone realizes what you're trying to do(said reason above), and knows that you just want attention; dismissing you as a casual whiny 13 year old trying to feel appreciated.

I think, though, that while swearing may be morally wrong to some, it should not be against the rules to the strictness that you're trying to invoke. If someone is swearing excessively, and it bothers you, report them to a moderator or admin and they'll take care of it. This site, or forums actually, like most forums, has a rule that all users must be or be over the age of 13 to join, otherwise your membership is considered illegal and you are UUA. If this isn't obvious to most, I think everyone should do a read-up on the rules for the site.

What he said.

x999

Nakah

Quote from: Palagerini on August 13, 2008, 06:38:07 PMbut i don't think were trying to attract new members.. were trying to keep the old ones we have and try to be a more friendlier community in general.. but your right about the character thing and stuff.. it's like um... ( my orignal example was beer...) let's say it's like junk food.. a little bit now and then is good and not bad for u in anyway.. but too much is bad.... =P

I really don't think any members who are legitimately old members aren't going to leave because of swearing. I've been a site viewer and member for nearly a year and don't consider myself to be an old member at all.

Super Zombie

Everything in moderation. Swearing should not be banned. That's against Freedom of Speech. I don't think swearing is bad, when used just a little, and just to emphasize something. I don't want it to get like The Sopranos here, with the F word every five seconds. Using all the time is against the rules, and members will be warned when caught doing it. But swears are a form of expression.

What "kiddies" are you talking about? Ones that are too young to be on here legally? Also, you're sixteen, but you're parents wouldn't want you on a site with a few damns? You must have very over-protective parents. I have friends like that. I don't see why it disturbs people so much when it's used occasionally. I don't really like seeing it used a ton, but if someone says something like "Damn I didn't see that." and isn't even angry, I don't see a problem with it.

If NSM banned swearing, I would most likely leave, as it is too totalitarian in nature.

Palagerini

yea your probaly right... but still.. we shouldn't have mass amounts of swearing... u know just like the usual amount.. and didn't Akiro and Beethoven leave because of rudeness or something like that? but i guess this is mostly up to the mods and not necessarily us...

(oh and ironic how Concerto is gone and all this is happening... he would definitely have something to say about all this =P.)

Quote from: Super Zombie on August 13, 2008, 06:54:22 PMEverything in moderation. Swearing should not be banned. That's against Freedom of Speech. I don't think swearing is bad, when used just a little, and just to emphasize something. I don't want it to get like The Sopranos here, with the F word every five seconds. Using all the time is against the rules, and members will be warned when caught doing it. But swears are a form of expression.

What "kiddies" are you talking about? Ones that are too young to be on here legally? Also, you're sixteen, but you're parents wouldn't want you on a site with a few damns? You must have very over-protective parents. I have friends like that. I don't see why it disturbs people so much when it's used occasionally. I don't really like seeing it used a ton, but if someone says something like "Damn I didn't see that." and isn't even angry, I don't see a problem with it.

If NSM banned swearing, I would most likely leave, as it is too totalitarian in nature.

well we don't all live in the U.S. ... but yea... we should just limit swearing and not ban it..
Conversation on Shoddy Battle:
<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah. i sent them to her dad

Before you post you might want to make sure you have a couple of these: ..!!??,,,

Feel free to place them wherever.

Super Zombie

What did I say about the US?

Also, as you can see, I pretty much never use profanity, but we should have the right.

Harvest

yeah...limit swearing but don't ban it...

Yeah, you've guys have said that several times.

Also, Freedom of Speech makes me sick, absolutely sick.  The people need to be controlled imo.
-

KefkaticFanatic

If you are somehow afraid of swearing, go find yourself some little anti-swearing religious forum.  This is not that forum.  Deal with it.

me irl
[close]

Harvest

Quote from: Gamer4250 on August 13, 2008, 08:30:43 PMIf you are somehow afraid of swearing, go find yourself some little anti-swearing religious forum.  This is not that forum.  Deal with it.

http://www.landoverbaptist.net/

ta-da!

I just needed a reason to link that.

;)
-

Brawler4Ever

Quote from: Gamer4250 on August 13, 2008, 08:30:43 PMIf you are somehow afraid of swearing, go find yourself some little anti-swearing religious forum.  This is not that forum.  Deal with it.

Video games are for people of all ages. Why shouldn't this forum also be for people of all ages?
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

Dekudude

I'm tired, so I didn't read all of that, but here's what I got:

Q - Why do we allow profanity?
A - We don't.

Solution - More mods. :D That's why I did the whole NSM police thing... which Jamaha doesn't seem to like a lot, so he canceled. But no, people just don't care, and those that do don't do anything about it. :(

kotorfanboy

Brawler is right. Excessive swearing does nothing to help this site. NSM unfortunately does not have the best rep out there and this does not help. Keep swearing to a minimum (some swearing is alright, of course) with more mods, like Dekudude said

Dude

Q: Does ApolloMix allow profanity?

A: In moderation, correct?
ApolloMix: 1 NSM: 0

EDIT: Also, the Internet Channel sucks for posting in a forum... :P

KefkaticFanatic

Excessive censorship just shows this site is aimed toward a young audience and is too afraid to show what life really is like.  Seriously.  Do you really expect people to just stop swearing at your command at some bar?

me irl
[close]