News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[SWITCH] Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town - "Autumn (Alternate)" by Code_Name_Geek

Started by Zeta, July 23, 2020, 12:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons
Game: Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: Autumn (Alternate)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Code_Name_Geek

[attachment deleted by admin]

Code_Name_Geek

A few things for this game:

1. The English game released alongside a PC port, but the original Japanese release was exclusively for Switch so I put the console as Switch (let me know if it would be better to list it as multiplatform).

2. This is the first submission for a game published under the new English title for the Bokujou Monogatari series (formerly known as Harvest Moon), Story of Seasons. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I'd like to propose changing the on-site series name to Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons in order to incorporate the new title as well as the old one. (Here's an article that goes into more detail on this whole naming affair.)

Edit: New video (that was fast...).

Latios212

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on July 23, 2020, 12:33:04 PMA few things for this game:

1. The English game released alongside a PC port, but the original Japanese release was exclusively for Switch so I put the console as Switch (let me know if it would be better to list it as multiplatform).

2. This is the first submission for a game published under the new English title for the Bokujou Monogatari series (formerly known as Harvest Moon), Story of Seasons. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I'd like to propose changing the on-site series name to Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons in order to incorporate the new title as well as the old one. (Here's an article that goes into more detail on this whole naming affair.)
1 - Yep, makes sense
2 - Oh interesting thanks for the explanation! You're the expert on this series so I'll defer to your judgement :) it makes sense, I'll change it
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Latios212 on July 24, 2020, 05:30:53 PM1 - Yep, makes sense
2 - Oh interesting thanks for the explanation! You're the expert on this series so I'll defer to your judgement :) it makes sense, I'll change it
Awesome, thanks! I think this is the best option for both new and old fans of the series to find what they're looking for :)

mastersuperfan

Looking good! I've noticed you've taken some liberties with m1-4 LH since it's not possible to replicate it exactly on piano; the way you have those measures right now seems pretty solid. Some note-checking and other suggestions:

- In m3, I think LH Layer 1 should have G's instead of F's.
- In the second half of m8 and m16, LH Layer 1 top note should be D's instead of C's.
- In m9 LH Layer 2, the quarter rest could be moved down a little more.
- In m11 LH Layer 1, there are Bb's on top of the E's and G's in the original. Even though your other measures all have only two notes in LH Layer 1, I would still recommend including the extra Bb's here to capture the dissonance from the original.
- In m12, I would suggest adding an Eb to the RH to capture the Eb-F dissonance from the original. Also, one of the middle C's in either the RH or the LH should be deleted or parenthesized.
- For the second half of m18 LH, you might consider turning Layer 1 into C-F dyads instead of A-C dyads that have to overlap with Layer 2.
- In m19 LH Layer 2, the second-to-last note should be F, not A.
- You could roll the m20 LH chord. You could also roll some or all of the other LH chords from m21-29 if you wanted.
- m20 RH should be a diatonic scale from middle C to the next C an octave up.
- I'm getting something different for m21-24 RH:
Spoiler
[close]
- In m26 LH, the eighth rest could be moved back up onto the staff. Also, did you want to put staccatos on the eighth notes at the end of m26 LH?
- In m31 RH, the very first dyad should be F-A instead of D-F.
- You might consider adding another note on top of the LH chords in m21-32 (a third higher than the current top notes) to make them all seventh chords, except for m27. All of them sound like seventh chords in the original track except for m27.
- The low LH chords in m33-34 sound pretty heavy/muddy. Here's what I would recommend instead:
Spoiler
[close]
- In both m35 and m36, the second chord in the RH (F-A-C) should also have an Eb at the bottom (Eb-F-A-C).
- In the second half of m35, I think the LH still plays F-Bb dyads in Layer 1, instead of F-A dyads.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 27, 2020, 06:04:19 PMI've noticed you've taken some liberties with m1-4 LH since it's not possible to replicate it exactly on piano; the way you have those measures right now seems pretty solid.
Yeah, those measures were tricky so I simplified it a bit.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 27, 2020, 06:04:19 PM- I'm getting something different for m21-24 RH:
Oops, my ear tends to flip intervals sometimes but that makes more sense. Fixed!

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 27, 2020, 06:04:19 PM- You could roll the m20 LH chord. You could also roll some or all of the other LH chords from m21-29 if you wanted.
- You might consider adding another note on top of the LH chords in m21-32 (a third higher than the current top notes) to make them all seventh chords, except for m27. All of them sound like seventh chords in the original track except for m27.
I like both of these suggestions! I must have missed the 7th chords when I did it but they sound a lot fuller this way.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 27, 2020, 06:04:19 PM- The low LH chords in m33-34 sound pretty heavy/muddy. Here's what I would recommend instead:
Also a good suggestion, done.

All the note fixes have been done as well. Thanks for taking a look!

mastersuperfan

Great! A few last comments:
- The LH Layer 2 staccatos in m26 should be moved above the noteheads.
- You could (but don't need to) put a courtesy flat on the Eb in m35 RH. The Eb only comes in the second half of the measure, so that's up to you if you want to include it or not.
- You might also consider making the last LH Layer 2 note a D instead of an Eb to fit the chord, but the Eb also works just fine if you want to stay consistent with m3.

Notwithstanding those small things (given that two of them are up to preference), I approve.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 28, 2020, 06:01:23 PMGreat! A few last comments:
- The LH Layer 2 staccatos in m26 should be moved above the noteheads.
- You could (but don't need to) put a courtesy flat on the Eb in m35 RH. The Eb only comes in the second half of the measure, so that's up to you if you want to include it or not.
- You might also consider making the last LH Layer 2 note a D instead of an Eb to fit the chord, but the Eb also works just fine if you want to stay consistent with m3.

Notwithstanding those small things (given that two of them are up to preference), I approve.
- Done.
- Decided not to include this since it's in the second half of the measure like you said.
- Yeah I'd like to keep that consistent with m. 3, it's more of an approach to the F in the next measure than a chord tone. Worth considering anyways though, thanks!

Latios212

Just a couple things from me!

- m. 9 missing a melody G octave in the RH at the end of the measure (a bit soft, but definitely there)
- The bass doesn't match the original exactly in m. 1-4 and 10. But what you wrote in matches the contour and fits well, so I'm fine with it if that's what you were going for

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Latios212 on July 29, 2020, 02:56:10 PMJust a couple things from me!

- m. 9 missing a melody G octave in the RH at the end of the measure (a bit soft, but definitely there)
- The bass doesn't match the original exactly in m. 1-4 and 10. But what you wrote in matches the contour and fits well, so I'm fine with it if that's what you were going for
- Fixed.
 -Hm... I had originally written what I have because that's what I thought I heard so I wouldn't say it's entirely intentional, but if it works then I suppose it's okay? Though I actually wouldn't mind seeing what you're hearing for the bassline in those two spots if that's not too much trouble.

Latios212

Oh actually just realized MSF said the same thing ^^
Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 27, 2020, 06:04:19 PMLooking good! I've noticed you've taken some liberties with m1-4 LH since it's not possible to replicate it exactly on piano; the way you have those measures right now seems pretty solid.

Here's the bassline in the beginning, verbatim:
You cannot view this attachment.

Still though, I'm okay accepting this as-is :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Latios212 on July 30, 2020, 04:13:15 PMOh actually just realized MSF said the same thing ^^
Here's the bassline in the beginning, verbatim:
You cannot view this attachment.

Still though, I'm okay accepting this as-is :)
Ok, I think I'll keep it the way it is for ease of playing. Thank you!

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta