News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Maelstrom's Replacements

Started by Maelstrom, May 31, 2020, 10:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

All updated with each and every suggestion.

mastersuperfan

Encounter - Metal Gear Solid looks good, approved
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

mastersuperfan

Terra's Theme - Final Fantasy VI
- Not sure if it got messed up importing into v26 but the Layer 2 tie in m17 RH should be flipped downward.
- The repeat ending numbers should only display "1." and "2." instead of including 3 and 4.
- I think the Layer 1 tie in m33 RH would look better flipped downward, although it's fine if you want to keep it upward.
- m39 dynamic is really close to the barline and could also be moved upward.
- Not super fond of the way m55-56 LH sounds, particularly the fifth on beat 3. I hear where it comes from... I just don't think it sounds great on piano. That's just my take, though.
- D.S. at the end is almost touching the eighth notes on beat 4. (Maybe another v26 import error? I see the last two eighth notes flipped upward, but maybe they should be flipped down instead?)
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Static

Encounter
The only suggestion I have would be to make sure the string melody is on top in m25-28 Layer 2; it should be A-A-A-B-C-D. I know this will make the chords less dense in 25-27, but I think adding a crescendo into m28 would work really well as voices get added in.

Maelstrom

Terra's Theme
All changed.

Encounter
I don't hear the As in m25 and 26 at all. Rather, I hear the top being the F and the chord below it being the rest. I did, however, hear it for 27-28 so I added it in.

mastersuperfan

Terra's Theme - Final Fantasy VI - Last few things that I didn't notice earlier, mostly visual:
- Tempo should be 160 instead of 150.
- Dynamics in m1 and m5 are a bit too far to the left and should be moved right to be aligned with beat 1.
- The quarter rest in m8 RH beat 3 is a little too high for my taste. I think moving it down one increment would look better.
- Finale tends to put repeat ending numbers (m19 and m21) a bit too far to the right; they should be moved left to be aligned with beat 1.
- m32 LH beat 4 should be two eighth notes instead of a triplet.
- Could you add a little bit of space to the beginning of m59 to give the rolled chord symbol some breathing room?

Also, I always thought that there was an eighth note G# on beat 2.5 of m1-4, and the fact that there actually isn't is going to bother me every time I listen to this track from now on.

Maelstrom

Terra
Done and done and done and done and done and done

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 30, 2020, 07:36:40 PMTerra
Done and done and done and done and done and done

nice, accepted

Static

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 30, 2020, 05:40:22 PMEncounter
I don't hear the As in m25 and 26 at all. Rather, I hear the top being the F and the chord below it being the rest. I did, however, hear it for 27-28 so I added it in.
You already have the As in 25 and 26, I was just suggesting that they be the top note (but below Layer 2) rather than C and D, but looking at it again I think it looks and sounds fine.
For m27-28, I also meant that they be the top note but I meant that they should still be below Layer 2, sorry if I was unclear. All of Layer 2 should be below Layer 1, but the top notes in Layer 2 should be A-B-C-D (i.e. move those notes down an octave); hopefully that makes sense.

Maelstrom

Static

Static

Spirit of Avarice
- I actually prefer MasterProX's original LH accompaniment for m29-36, since that's when the drums kick back in, most notably the snare on all the offbeat 8ths. Changing the accompaniment also helps m21-28 contrast more with the surrounding parts.
- Copyright info, page numbers, and page titles are outside the margins; for Page 1 you could probably decrease the space between systems to make this work. The top title/composer/arranger info also seems a little cramped.
- Left side of the tempo marking should be aligned with the left side of the time signature.

Maelstrom

discussed over discord and updated, finally

Static

Spirit of Avarice
Quote from: Maelstrom on December 13, 2020, 12:38:28 PMdiscussed over discord and updated, finally
A few last things:
  • Copyright info and page numbers are outside the margins
  • I think you've made enough changes to warrant an "Edited by" on this one, in my opinion at least. You've made changes to the rhythms and notes, not just formatting/text, so I think it should be noted.

Catastrophe in Bhava-Agra ~ Wonderful Heaven
  • m1-8 LH: Some of those rhythms sound different (more simplified) than what I'm hearing in the original track, but I think they sound fine enough.
  • m10 RH beat 2: This should be eight 32nd notes rather than four 16th notes. I recommend putting some in the LH to make it easier to play.
  • m26 beat 4.5: Maybe add some extra chord tones in both hands to emphasize the sudden key change. Just one note in both hands sounds pretty weak compared to the original.
  • m57 RH: The Layer 1 rhythm is incorrect.
  • If you make every system 4 measures instead of 5, it'll completely fill up that 4th page (and it also looks less cramped).

Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial
  • m1 RH beat 2: Just use a staccato 8th note, it looks cleaner than a 16th + 16th rest and it sounds the same.
  • m3 RH beats 1-2: You should probably beam this like m1 RH, where beat 2 is shown, since it's a similar rhythm.
  • It's kind of hard to hear, but it sounds like the melodic line in m1 and 3 RH continues into beats 1-2 of m2 and 4 RH. It shouldn't just be rests there.
  • m13: Should be a key change to Eb minor here it looks like.
  • m15, 19-20, 27-28 RH Layer 1 should be written like the LH (with ties), since this is 3/4 time.
  • m23 RH Layer 1 should be beamed with ties since this is 3/4 time (beat 3 should be shown).
  • The DC is slightly outside the staff.

Maelstrom

Catastrophe in BA
Quote from: Static on December 15, 2020, 12:59:20 PM
  • m1-8 LH: Some of those rhythms sound different (more simplified) than what I'm hearing in the original track, but I think they sound fine enough.
Yeah, that was intentional

I don't think I like the 32nd notes because they sound more like a smear than actual notes at this speed. The choice there was intentional.

Changed the rhythms in m57 and simplified the faster chords so someone doesn't break their hand restriking a note at lightspeed. 

All other changes made

Spirit of Avarice
Updated as recommended

Lunar Clock
I want to move the D.S. but every time, no matter how I get there, I have the sheet open and the repeat tool selected, finale crashes. Help would be appreciated.
All other changes made, I approximated the m2/4 stuff the best I could. It's really quite hard to hear.