News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Main Menu

[NES] Final Fantasy - "Battle" by Yug Guy

Started by Zeta, April 25, 2020, 11:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Final Fantasy
Game: Final Fantasy
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Battle
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Yug Guy

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yug_Guy

Static

Wow I thought you'd submitted all the classic battle themes by this point, but not the very original huh (and it wasn't even on the site either, sadly...) Thanks for doing this one!

OK, let's get right into it:
  • For simplicity, I would just use the top arpeggio in the intro, with the first 6-tuplet in the LH and the second in the RH (you don't need that weird triplet thing either). It's a lot more manageable to play at this tempo, even though it's not an exact transcription. (The other 16th runs are fine as is since they're mostly scalar instead of arpeggios)
  • Articulations can really change the way a melody sounds. Both 8th notes on beat 1 of m3, m5, m7, and m9 should be staccato - it really stands out because the rest of the notes in that melody are all legato except for those. Beats 2-4 of m12 should also be staccato in both hands. Those first four 8th notes in m25 and m27 also stand out in their staccato-ness compared to the surrounding notes.
    • I'm being really picky about this because Uematsu doesn't pick note lengths at random; they're a deliberate compositional choice that really affects how the listener perceives the melody. The constant contrast between staccato and legato is a part of what makes it sound so catchy.
  • Kinda going off of what I said above, you could really use some extra dynamic markings. Specifically, I would back down to mf after the arpeggio, then go back to f at m11. Maybe bring it down at m15, up to you. Then, crescendo in m23-24 to m25 (forte). That's what I would do but feel free to make alterations and experiment a bit.
  • The rests in Layer 1 RH of m15-21 should all be aligned.
  • https

I know it sounds like I'm saying a lot, but really, nice work! It's pretty minor stuff.

Edit: One more thing, if you're gonna split beats 1-2 and 3-4, do that for the entire sheet (i.e. change the quarter notes in m25 and 27 to two tied 8ths)

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Static on April 25, 2020, 07:56:52 PM
  • For simplicity, I would just use the top arpeggio in the intro, with the first 6-tuplet in the LH and the second in the RH (you don't need that weird triplet thing either). It's a lot more manageable to play at this tempo, even though it's not an exact transcription. (The other 16th runs are fine as is since they're mostly scalar instead of arpeggios)
Counterpoint: the arpeggio from my FFII Battle Theme 1 sheet was left in, and it's essentially the exact same thing.

Quote from: Static on April 25, 2020, 07:56:52 PM
  • Kinda going off of what I said above, you could really use some extra dynamic markings. Specifically, I would back down to mf after the arpeggio, then go back to f at m11. Maybe bring it down at m15, up to you. Then, crescendo in m23-24 to m25 (forte). That's what I would do but feel free to make alterations and experiment a bit.
Honestly, the dynamics in this song sound pretty static (hah!) to me.

Other suggestions have been implemented.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Yug_Guy on May 02, 2020, 06:30:25 PMHonestly, the dynamics in this song sound pretty static (hah!) to me.

We know composers didn't always have the time/resources to make NES music so dynamically versatile; what I think Static is suggesting is that you spruce up the sheet this way to put it past the transcription phase. Doing this kind of thing for early 80's arcade music? Sometimes unnecessary -- but Uematsu's works are so full of life, it would be crime not to spend an extra minute or so doing this.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Static

Quote from: Yug_Guy on May 02, 2020, 06:30:25 PMCounterpoint: the arpeggio from my FFII Battle Theme 1 sheet was left in, and it's essentially the exact same thing.
Fair enough.

Quote from: Yug_Guy on May 02, 2020, 06:30:25 PMstatic
nice

I kinda agree with Levi, but ultimately dynamics are up to you. With 8-bit pieces it sometimes feels like I'm using my imagination a lot more than if it was fully orchestrated, so those are the kinds of ideas I think of. I think it's fine to leave the decisions up to the performer for this piece.

Oh yeah I should do one of these too.

Latios212

Quote from: Static on May 02, 2020, 08:47:40 PMI kinda agree with Levi, but ultimately dynamics are up to you. With 8-bit pieces it sometimes feels like I'm using my imagination a lot more than if it was fully orchestrated, so those are the kinds of ideas I think of. I think it's fine to leave the decisions up to the performer for this piece.
Yeah, this sounds good to me too. There isn't a whole lot of explicit dynamic variation in the original, so it's fine leaving it up to the performer.

Sheet looks good!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot