[Wii] Kirby's Return to Dream Land - "Road to Victory (The Arena)" by LeviR.star

Started by Zeta, November 20, 2019, 09:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Kirby
Game: Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Console: Nintendo Wii
Title: Road to Victory (The Arena)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: LeviR.star

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

LeviR.star

I will have questions for the updaters on this submission periodically.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Libera

Quote from: LeviR.star on November 20, 2019, 09:17:08 PMI will have questions for the updaters on this submission periodically.

...What does this mean?

Anyway,

-I think most of these left hand stuff is actually power chords in the original but if you prefer it lighter then that's probably fine.
-It seems like there are some hits missing in the left hand (akin to how you have it in bar 33) in 27 onwards.
-You could try include the countermelody in bar 15-16.  It might not work though as I haven't really tried it yet.
-Something I'd definitely recommend is including some additional harmony from the pads in 35-42.  I have tried that and it works pretty well (just single semibreves in the right hand for each bar.)

LeviR.star

Quote from: Libera on November 28, 2019, 07:08:19 AM-I think most of these left hand stuff is actually power chords in the original but if you prefer it lighter then that's probably fine.
-It seems like there are some hits missing in the left hand (akin to how you have it in bar 33) in 27 onwards.
-You could try include the countermelody in bar 15-16.  It might not work though as I haven't really tried it yet.
-Something I'd definitely recommend is including some additional harmony from the pads in 35-42.  I have tried that and it works pretty well (just single semibreves in the right hand for each bar.)

- I don't really hear it as power chords in the LH; anything more than octaves would be a bit much, imo
- you didn't really specify, so I did my best to re-evaluate what I had and add a few in from m. 27 - 29
- believe me, I tried it and it didn't work very well, so if you can try your hand at it and come up with something good, I'm open to ideas
- could you write that out and show me what you have in mind?

Here's the current file.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Libera

Quote from: LeviR.star on November 28, 2019, 09:11:36 AM- I don't really hear it as power chords in the LH; anything more than octaves would be a bit much, imo

That's fair.

Quote from: LeviR.star on November 28, 2019, 09:11:36 AM- you didn't really specify, so I did my best to re-evaluate what I had and add a few in from m. 27 - 29

It looks good to me now!

Quote from: LeviR.star on November 28, 2019, 09:11:36 AM- believe me, I tried it and it didn't work very well, so if you can try your hand at it and come up with something good, I'm open to ideas

I mean I think my thought was to just put it in verbatim below the current line, which is probably what you tried and didn't like, I assume because it overlaps too much with the chords.  If you've considered it that's fine, I just thought I'd mention it.

Quote from: LeviR.star on November 28, 2019, 09:11:36 AM- could you write that out and show me what you have in mind?

Sure, this was my thinking:

Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

LeviR.star

Quote from: Libera on November 28, 2019, 09:50:53 AMSure, this was my thinking:

Spoiler
[close]

Yea, I can do that!

Files updated. As far as my questions go, one is this: do the LH notes ever feel they need to be sustained? MSF suggested that the octaves aren't always shortened 8ths like I have written, but I personally think what I have is fine. What does everyone think right now?

Libera

Quote from: LeviR.star on November 28, 2019, 10:18:07 AMFiles updated. As far as my questions go, one is this: do the LH notes ever feel they need to be sustained? MSF suggested that the octaves aren't always shortened 8ths like I have written, but I personally think what I have is fine. What does everyone think right now?

The way you have it seems fine to me.

Something else I noticed is that perhaps it would be better to bracket the left hand notes rather than the melody notes, as the melody notes are more important.

Quote from: LeviR.star on November 20, 2019, 09:17:08 PMI will have questions for the updaters on this submission periodically.

I still don't really understand what this means.  If you have questions, why not just ask them rather than holding them back for some indeterminate amount of time?

LeviR.star

Quote from: Libera on November 28, 2019, 10:48:08 AMI still don't really understand what this means.  If you have questions, why not just ask them rather than holding them back for some indeterminate amount of time?

That's just what I did; I asked about the sustaining of LH notes because you decided that my rhythm had been fixed. It's better to ask some of these as we go along, in case I get answers without having to ask. Like this one, which I was going to mention:

Quote from: Libera on November 28, 2019, 10:48:08 AMSomething else I noticed is that perhaps it would be better to bracket the left hand notes rather than the melody notes, as the melody notes are more important.

Fixed. Do I have do something similar with the overlapping Gs in m. 20? Or is it fine as written?

Libera

Quote from: LeviR.star on November 28, 2019, 10:59:23 AMFixed. Do I have do something similar with the overlapping Gs in m. 20? Or is it fine as written?

I don't think it's necessary to put them in unless they would strike simultaneously.  It can start to look cluttered and/or confusing if you do it for overlaps too, at least in my opinion.

Well I think my work here is done, nice stuff.

Latios212

Notes and arrangement look great, good work guys.

A few minor visual things from me before accepting:
- I'd recommend using 4 systems on page 1 and 5 on page 3, but up to you
- Page 3 is out of the margin
- The staccato accent on the octave C's in m. 32 look a bit awkward right up against the tuplet. You could try something like this by flipping the marking and moving the bracket up:

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on December 02, 2019, 04:07:01 PM- I'd recommend using 4 systems on page 1 and 5 on page 3, but up to you
- Page 3 is out of the margin
- The staccato accent on the octave C's in m. 32 look a bit awkward right up against the tuplet. You could try something like this by flipping the marking and moving the bracket up:

- good idea; I'll make sure to keep this in mind from now on
- oop, forgot to fix that after I modified my template. Taken care of now
- I agree, that looks much nicer

Files fixed!

Latios212

Awesome. Just one last thing - the note on the top left is pretty far outside the page margin. I've (after checking via Discord) adjusted the spacing on the first page.

Good to go!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta