TWG Suggestions, Comments, and Discussion

Started by Nakah, July 29, 2008, 07:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davy

Quote from: jake3343 on June 19, 2012, 08:22:10 AM4. Games with lots of special roles often rely more on the powers of the special roles to find the wolves and less on actually finding the wolves through reading between the lines and looking for inconsistencies in someone's argument, which is what in my opinion twg is really all about.

*fixed

In many games, the focus is on what the alliance say anyway (which is were all the specials are). Games with a lack of specials (mainly manhunts) usually go in no direction because nobody has any idea who to vote for.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow
[davy]'s in a way different time zone so basically he pops in at like 2 AM and posts 500 words and wins the game

blueflower999

Quote from: davy on June 19, 2012, 12:17:32 PMIn many games, the focus is on what the alliance say anyway (which is were all the specials are). Games with a lack of specials (mainly manhunts) usually go in no direction because nobody has any idea who to vote for.
This. It is possible to have a good manhunt TWG, but it requires many good players who know who to find wolves with no statistical data.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Mashi

Quote from: davy on June 19, 2012, 12:17:32 PM*fixed

In many games, the focus is on what the alliance say anyway (which is were all the specials are). Games with a lack of specials (mainly manhunts) usually go in no direction because nobody has any idea who to vote for.
No.  I've seldom ever been part of an alliance ever in my TWG career and my ideas and resolutions have often been implemented in the games I've played, even when they've been contrary to those of the alliance.  The focus of the game only focuses on what the alliance says when Players are indolent and don't exert enough effort into the game.  Not to mention that Players sometimes don't even follow what the alliance demands, which creates disharmony.  The alliance is supposed to supply the Humans with a group of confirmed Humans as a basis for trust and suspicions.

In a manhunt, there's more focus on analysis and logic and Player behaviour interpretation, as well as independence.  So long as everyone is active, people become more insightful both about how they decide to play the game and become more familiar with the playing style of other Players.  However, due to the lack of a base (the alliance), more mistakes are made and finding Wolves is much harder.  This, however, does not mean that they're a waste nor that they don't improve Players.

davy

Quote from: Mashi on June 19, 2012, 12:33:33 PMNo.  I've seldom ever been part of an alliance ever in my TWG career and my ideas and resolutions have often been implemented in the games I've played, even when they've been contrary to those of the alliance.  The focus of the game only focuses on what the alliance says when Players are indolent and don't exert enough effort into the game.  Not to mention that Players sometimes don't even follow what the alliance demands, which creates disharmony.  The alliance is supposed to supply the Humans with a group of confirmed Humans as a basis for trust and suspicions.

In a manhunt, there's more focus on analysis and logic and Player behaviour interpretation, as well as independence.  So long as everyone is active, people become more insightful both about how they decide to play the game and become more familiar with the playing style of other Players.  However, due to the lack of a base (the alliance), more mistakes are made and finding Wolves is much harder.  This, however, does not mean that they're a waste nor that they don't improve Players.

Of course Mashi, there are moments that ideas and resolutions based on texts that people make are going to make the humans find the wolves, but it's not quite an as strong evidence as a red seering in a game with no millers and no painters. I also didn't say that no human should think for himself and just let the alliance decide everything for them, but still, many things are decided by the alliance. The reason why your ideas and resolutions might have been implented is because you have much experience, and people are tend to follow you, even if you are a wolf and even if you are telling them to think for themselves (I can't find that TWG atm)

I've played two manhunts so far, and both of them were really random. In the first one, we obviously couldn't find the wolf because the host was the wolf. The first day phase, we nearly got a perfect circle of safeties, if it weren't that SFK broke the circle by going for a gut feeling, which in my opinioin can't be a result of focus on analysis and logic and player behaviour interpretation (unless I am translating gut feeling wrong). The other one was, again in my opinion, a disaster. EVERYONE, and I really mean EVERYONE made a safety during the first day, not excluding yourself. Had I not voted for you, to force the wolves into being readable, than the lynching would have been done by a player who had two safeties on him, due to the ignorance of one player for safetying a player that was allready safetied.

I do not say they're a waste of time, nor do I say that they don't improve the players, and the might improve the players even more than other TWG's. But so far, Manhunts I've played were all games where the humans had no idea what to do.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow
[davy]'s in a way different time zone so basically he pops in at like 2 AM and posts 500 words and wins the game

Spyro

Quote from: jake3343 on June 19, 2012, 08:22:10 AM1. I've never seen a game played without phantoms. The point of phantoms is to force people to be active and vote. I have seen a game with a "no lynch" option, but only because there was a fool in the game. Almost always, "no lynch" isn't an option and phantoms are used.

2. Revealing a players role upon death is called "card flipping" in twg-lingo and is an optional mechanic that the host can choose whether or not to use. If you want to use card flipping, you have to make sure you tell everyone in the host sign-up thread.

3. A safety is a vote for when you do not know whom to lynch, but don't want a phantom. So if I say "safety on Spyro", it is not because I think you're a wolf, but just because I want to avoid a phantom. Generally, I don't really like safetying because it usually means you're not looking hard enough for the wolves, but it can be used.

4. Games with lots of special roles often rely more on the powers of the special roles to find the wolves and less on actually finding the wolves through reading between the lines and looking for inconsistencies in someone's argument, which is what twg is really all about. That being said, there have been a lot of games with almost all special roles, such as TWG XXXI.
Oh, thanks Jake. That really helps a lot.

Mashi

There have been games in that past in which there were no Millers and a Seer, but those games were created for beginners and those new to TWG.  A game in which a Red result defines a Wolf is often unfair unless measures are taken to balance the game.  Many things are decided by the alliance, but they do not run the game.  Individual Players run the game; it's just a matter of who puts in effort.

I hosted my Manhunt in order to provide insights for people about how they can falsely suspect Human Players.  I think that, in particular cases, the more confident someone is, the more likely they are wrong.  This is exemplified by Jub3r7's suspicion of Wrydryn in the Manhunt and my trust of spitllama in Just Another SBURB Session.  This is how Players become insightful about themselves and their play style.  People only have no clue what's going on because they don't try hard enough.  And if you take notice, because you incited something because of your vote on me, something did occur.  I reacted, Players posted in the topic, and the game had an evanescent growth in activity.  Had that activity been maintained, the game would have taken a turn for the better.  It's not that the Manhunt is intrinsically a cause for bewilderment; the quality of a game depends on Players' activity just as much and is the primary factor for the success of a game.

spitllama

I'm making another TWG but can't decide on the theme. Should it be Avatar: Last Airbender, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Kingdom Hearts, or Metroid?
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

spitllama

I wouldn't be cheating Wry out of his dream TWG if I did that?
Submissions Page

Spyro

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

spitllama

I decided to do Uprising because Slow called me brah because the mechanics of the game really worked better with that theme. Promise- Kingdom Hearts next time.
Submissions Page

K-NiGhT

Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

the_last_sheikah

I would totes play all three!  They sound fun.
You see, we're entertainers. We must keep people smiling. No matter how grim things get, we must always be optimistic!

Mashi

In order to give Players who have not been able to win Host Sign Ups a chance to host, I have decided that we should consider creating a Host Sign Ups thread from time to time for those Players solely.  These potential Hosts could either host their own games or host older TWGs.  I prefer the latter option, because it gives incentive for others who host often to want to play older games which they may have either missed or even hosted (therefore not having had a chance to play).

Discuss.