Game: Wario's Woods
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Versus
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Nine Lives

[attachment deleted by admin]

NineLives

Latios212

Sorry for the wait! I'll get to checking this thoroughly and helping out with the formatting soon if no one else gets to it, but a couple of things I'm noticing in the meantime:
- Try and be consistent with the staccato notes in the beginning. By that I am suggesting that you make all of the staccato'd notes eighth notes as opposed to a couple you have as quarter and dotted eighth notes.
- In the second to last measure, write the first E flat as D#. This may seem odd because it is directly followed by more E flats but it's important to highlight the same movement in the two equivalent but transposed phrases - you have a B chord with the fourth (E) resolving to the third (D#) and then a B flat chord with the fourth (E flat) resolving to the third (D).
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

NineLives

Quote from: Latios212 on April 17, 2019, 06:26:53 PM- Try and be consistent with the staccato notes in the beginning. By that I am suggesting that you make all of the staccato'd notes eighth notes as opposed to a couple you have as quarter and dotted eighth notes.
- In the second to last measure, write the first E flat as D#. This may seem odd because it is directly followed by more E flats but it's important to highlight the same movement in the two equivalent but transposed phrases - you have a B chord with the fourth (E) resolving to the third (D#) and then a B flat chord with the fourth (E flat) resolving to the third (D).
I think I got what you were saying. It's fixed up now.

Code_Name_Geek

I have a few comments to add if that's alright!

-About the eighth notes at the beginning, I would keep staccato marks on all the eighth notes for consistency. Obviously eighth notes followed by rests are short by default but having staccatos on them makes it extra clear they are meant to be the same length as the staccato eighth notes in measures 2 and 6.

Quote from: Latios212 on April 17, 2019, 06:26:53 PM- In the second to last measure, write the first E flat as D#. This may seem odd because it is directly followed by more E flats but it's important to highlight the same movement in the two equivalent but transposed phrases - you have a B chord with the fourth (E) resolving to the third (D#) and then a B flat chord with the fourth (E flat) resolving to the third (D).
-If I'm understanding correctly what Latios meant here, the first note should be a D# (the one under the B natural) like you've changed it to, but the two following ones should stay as Ebs (under the two Bbs). Similarly, the bass line there should be Bbs instead of A#s, to match the A#s in the right hand. The reason here is purely theoretical, I can go into more detail on this if you'd like.

-Most of the time you do a great job of showing beat 3 (which is standard practice in 4/4), but there in the bassline of the very last bar you seem to have missed one rhythm. What you want to do is split up the dotted quarter into a quarter tied to an eighth. Also, the two tied eighth notes in that measure can be made into a quarter note which is easier to read.

-There are some notes in the right hand that sound a little off after the key change but I wasn't able to tell exactly where it was, I would maybe double-check the line in voice 2 in bars 14 and 16. (Sorry I couldn't pinpoint the exact notes but I thought it was worth mentioning anyways.)

I hope that was helpful, let me know if you want me to clarify anything! Overall it looks like a good arrangement and nice choice of song :)

NineLives

Thanks for the suggestions! Most of the changes you've mentioned have been done.
Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on April 24, 2019, 04:28:52 PM-There are some notes in the right hand that sound a little off after the key change but I wasn't able to tell exactly where it was, I would maybe double-check the line in voice 2 in bars 14 and 16. (Sorry I couldn't pinpoint the exact notes but I thought it was worth mentioning anyways.)
I didn't really hear any wrong notes in those measures. I listened over and it came out the same to me, but I may need a second opinion on that.

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: NineLives on April 24, 2019, 05:22:54 PMThanks for the suggestions! Most of the changes you've mentioned have been done. I didn't really hear any wrong notes in those measures. I listened over and it came out the same to me, but I may need a second opinion on that.
The changes look good! I could be wrong about the notes as well so no worries :)

Edit: Oops looks like you missed one of the A#s in the last measure actually, but everything else looks great!

Latios212

Mind if I get this fixed up for you? Aside from the Finale formatting problems there are some notes that should be beamed (the second and third dyads in m. 1 for instance) but aren't. I'll also let you know if any notes were wrong

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on April 24, 2019, 04:28:52 PMI have a few comments to add if that's alright!
Feedback from fellow arrangers is of course welcome ^^

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

NineLives

Quote from: Latios212 on April 24, 2019, 06:13:17 PMMind if I get this fixed up for you? Aside from the Finale formatting problems there are some notes that should be beamed (the second and third dyads in m. 1 for instance) but aren't. I'll also let you know if any notes were wrong
I wouldn't mind. As long as there weren't any big things I got mixed up on.

Latios212

Sorry for the wait! I've updated the files.

- The chords in m. 9-12 needed a bit of adjusting. The lower voice goes Ab-G-G-F#, and I don't think the notes between the top and bottom were present.
- Beat 4 of m. 13/15 is C#-E.
- The G whole note in m. 14/16 should be F# (Bsus4 chord).
- A# in m. 14/16 should be An.

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on April 24, 2019, 05:31:59 PMOops looks like you missed one of the A#s in the last measure actually, but everything else looks great!
Fixed this too!

With that, I approve of this sheet.

Also, wow this song sounds very Chrono Trigger-esque...

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

NineLives

Quote from: Latios212 on April 29, 2019, 07:19:52 PMSorry for the wait! I've updated the files.

- The chords in m. 9-12 needed a bit of adjusting. The lower voice goes Ab-G-G-F#, and I don't think the notes between the top and bottom were present.
- Beat 4 of m. 13/15 is C#-E.
- The G whole note in m. 14/16 should be F# (Bsus4 chord).
- A# in m. 14/16 should be An.
Fixed this too!

With that, I approve of this sheet.

Thanks so much for the changes! =)

LeviR.star

Questions for the updaters:

- could the first 4 measures be a repeated section, because m. 5 - 8 are exactly the same?
- is there any reason m. 15 has a second forte marking, even though no dynamic change has been indicated?
- I'm not sure who the composer is for this particular piece, as it appears in both the NES and SNES versions of this game; Shinobu Amayake and Soyo Oka worked on the NES soundtrack, according to credits, and I think it might be worth noting that this piece sounds a little similar to Super Mario Kart's "Rainbow Road", which was also composed by Soyo Oka
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Quote from: NineLives on April 30, 2019, 06:53:21 AMThanks so much for the changes! =)
No problem! :)

@Levi,
- They could, but don't have to be. I generally advise doing so but leave it up to the arranger. (NineLives, want me to change it or nah?)
- Whoops, c/p error, will fix
- Oh that's interesting. If this appears in both versions of the game then the credits should go to Amayake/Oka as they made the original. I did notice a striking resemblance to Soyo Oka's Rainbow Road as well but I can't find a source for who composed what so I'll add them both.

Files updated again!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

NineLives

Quote from: Latios212 on April 30, 2019, 04:20:41 PMNo problem! :)

@Levi,
- They could, but don't have to be. I generally advise doing so but leave it up to the arranger. (NineLives, want me to change it or nah?)
- Whoops, c/p error, will fix
- Oh that's interesting. If this appears in both versions of the game then the credits should go to Amayake/Oka as they made the original. I did notice a striking resemblance to Soyo Oka's Rainbow Road as well but I can't find a source for who composed what so I'll add them both.

Files updated again!

I'd rather leave the sheet as is without the repeat. As for the composers, Wario's Woods had completely different composers working on both games. The SNES version had compositions by Hiroaki Suga and Tadashi Ikegami while the NES version had compositions by Soyo Oka and Shinobu Amayake.

Latios212

Ah you guys are giving me conflicting information - do either of you have a source for the composer info (i.e. if there was shared music between both versions of the game)?

Spoiler
[close]
turtle