News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[NES] Dragon Quest III - "Ramia's Flight" by Jacopo Tore & Gabriele Sechi

Started by Zeta, December 10, 2018, 03:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Dragon Quest III
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Ramia's Flight
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arrangers: Jacopo Tore & Gabriele Sechi

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Khunjund

If I remember the formatting guidelines correctly, the subtitle should be in 12 point. Also, I recommend sticking to just one of the two titles to avoid clutter.

I suggest putting courtesy accidentals on the G naturals in measure 6 and the F naturals in measure 7 (and maybe the first B natural of measure 8, if you want to be really zealous about it).

I feel like the ending boxes for the repeats are a little too close to the music.

It's not clear that your tempo indications apply to the second pass only, and considering the relative complexity of these indications, I'd write them out in full in one line: 2a volta meno mosso ed accelerando per tornare al tempo (or accelerando fino al tempo).

I'd use (poco) ritenuto instead of rallentando in measure 10, because you're just holding back for an instant before returning to tempo, whereas in measure 8 you're slowing down and keeping that tempo for a little while. This is very subjective, though.
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

Khunjund

I don't really mind the formatting stuff, but it should be "...accelerando fino al tempo."

Also, I know I wrote out "ritenuto" in full, but you can always use the "rit." abbreviation if you want; up to you.

Looks good to me otherwise.

JacopoTore

Quote from: D3ath3657 on December 15, 2018, 07:37:22 AMI don't really mind the formatting stuff, but it should be "...accelerando fino al tempo."

Also, I know I wrote out "ritenuto" in full, but you can always use the "rit." abbreviation if you want; up to you.

Looks good to me otherwise.

Ok did it.
Thanks

JacopoTore

Libera you only have time to reply to simple and stupid arrangements?

Dudeman

Quote from: JacopoTore on December 21, 2018, 05:20:32 PMLibera you only have time to reply to simple and stupid arrangements?
I really shouldn't have to say this, but that's a really rude way to request feedback from anyone, especially when it hasn't even been a week since your last reply.
On top of that, you don't need a specific Updater's input to make improvements to your sheets. We have eight other Updaters on staff and a whole host of other users and all of their critiques are equally valid. Please watch your attitude in the future; this isn't the first time you've had problems with either a lack of input or taking input from someone you don't want to.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

LeviR.star

Quote from: JacopoTore on December 21, 2018, 05:20:32 PMLibera you only have time to reply to simple and stupid arrangements?

I'd like to remind you, Jacopo, that you just submitted a split-second and universally known sound effect under the name "Track 11".

Don't try to criticize others' sheets unless you're attempting to help them; even if so, don't be so brash about it. Libera has been one of our hardest-working updaters in the past few months, working towards both normal and special updates, so I advise you treat him with a little respect and patience. We're all trying to help arrangers like you; please do not make us change our minds.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Khunjund

Quote from: LeviR.star on December 21, 2018, 10:00:56 PMI'd like to remind you, Jacopo, that you just submitted a split-second and universally known sound effect under the name "Track 11".

Don't try to criticize others' sheets unless you're attempting to help them; even if so, don't be so brash about it. Libera has been one of our hardest-working updaters in the past few months, working towards both normal and special updates, so I advise you treat him with a little respect and patience. We're all trying to help arrangers like you; please do not make us change our minds.

I think he was referring to that sheet, not smearing the work of other submitters; the way I understand it, he's frustrated that Libera took the time to reply extensively to his "Track 11" submission, but no updater has replied to "Ramia's Flight" here.

JacopoTore

Quote from: D3ath3657 on December 21, 2018, 10:30:43 PMI think he was referring to that sheet, not smearing the work of other submitters; the way I understand it, he's frustrated that Libera took the time to reply extensively to his "Track 11" submission, but no updater has replied to "Ramia's Flight" here.
Yes I was referring at this.

JacopoTore

English is not my language, sometimes I translate with Google translator (as in this case) other times instead I write quickly in circumstances often absurd trying to "collect" the few terms that I know and remember to try to make me understand quickly and without waste of time. I have studied English badly and unfortunately I do not have the time to really deepen this language (as important and universal today as today), I only know music as a language and I am always happy to hear the suggestions of Masters, professors, musicians, professionals and not, I'm sorry when instead rivers of words are lost for things of little consequence because the little free time I have (in this period of my life) I spend it to help and help people who love videogames, music and piano. It seems almost incredible that there are SO FAR scores of transcriptions and arrangements of 8-bit music, being now so old and known in the world. For this reason I believe in this site as in any other site that has the initiative to bring to light the music and the composers who have often worked without any recognition of this slice of art. I think it useful to have some of my students transcribe (even simple) songs of 8-bit music because simple sound waves (in appearance) are more recognizable and easy to identify than a song played with real instruments and therefore rich in harmonics, moreover the limit of "voices" allows greater security at the time of transcription. Of course the students are always wrong and this allows me to work during some lessons on various aspects of music, starting from the sound and ending on the stave. Of course the insertion of the score on this site is superfluous and useless from the technical point of view, but I think that from a didactic point of view it is a student who has contributed to create a musical score that another possible student can read, study and / or deepen, can create a form of stimulation to continue to believe in music not only as a school discipline but also as time passes for the spirit and the body. This is why I often cut the speeches or answer in a direct and surly, I apologize to all those who are offended, but in my life I want to spend my time writing music not words or discussions on the forums, please add the scores because many people need this site and our transcriptions, ALL, none excluded.

JacopoTore

However I try to transcribe music that is not on this site, if I had known that the sound effect had already been transcribed I would not have posted (of course), so I apologize for this.

JDMEK5

Ooh, formatting for this one is gonna be difficult. I played around with it significantly though and did some things that I think may work better. Here's the file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3664zpde9etwz0l/Dragon%20Quest%20III%20-%20Ramia%20s%20Flight%20SECHI%20rebeam.mus?dl=0
Here's what I changed:
- Resized everything to 100% and used 2 pages. Everything looked too crammed on one page at 90% and I dare not make it smaller.
- Slanted some of the cross-beams for aesthetic purpose. In my opinion it looks a bit less square.
- For the most part, since there is so much cross-beaming into the RH going on, I would have no trouble leaving most of the stems in the RH melody going upwards. This is determined on a case-by-case basis, but for most it worked better this way.
- Broke one of the beams in the midpoint of each 16th grouping. Eight 16th notes beamed together identically looks like a lot of notes, but breaking the beam to make 2 groups of 4 is a lot cleaner and easier to read.
- I lifted the repeat markings up a bit just to create a bit of breathing space for the text and other things up there.

I don't think I actually have much to say regarding the arrangement itself.. I'd suggest thinking of any spots you'd like to use slurs either for smooth articulation or for denoting phrases; but that's up to you. I haven't done a super-deep pitch accuracy check, but nothing stands out so far as I'm hearing. If another updater ran a pitch accuracy check (and otherwise scanned once more for anything else), I think I could sign off on it now.

EDIT: Looking at it once again, I'm wondering about the size of the side margins.. they're looking a tad small. I'd love the input of another updater on this; I'm not of the mind that it's a huge problem necessarily worth fixing, but personally I would fix it if it were my own sheet.

Quote from: JacopoTore on December 22, 2018, 04:25:41 AM*mini-flame-war-back-and-forth*
I don't think anyone has a problem with the language discrepancy itself nor the use of translation; it's just that that one comment against Libera came off as pretty demeaning. I don't know if that's how you meant it but I personally am choosing to assume it was a translation issue. Just be careful of such things in the future.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26