News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[N64] F-Zero X - "Climb Up! And Get the Last Chance!" by Yug Guy

Started by Zeta, September 30, 2018, 09:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: F-Zero X
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: Climb Up! And Get the Last Chance!
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Yug Guy

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yug_Guy

Libera

Something that isn't a replacement?  Preposterous!

-For the melody line in bar 29 I hear G D Eb D (all dotted crotchets).
-There is a guitar part (first heard in the opening bar) that seems to drop in and out of your arrangement.  For example, you have it in the first bar but then you leave it out for the next section (bars 2-9).  I believe it wouldn't be that hard to add in as in most places it has the same rhythm as the bass (you could just leave it out when it doesn't).  In that opening section it seems to play G -> F -> F -> Bb. 
-There's a glissando in the organ part leading into bar 26.  Might be a thought to put it in?  I think it might make the transition that little bit more flashy.
-I'm hearing the organ line in bars 22-25 a third higher than you've written it.  i.e. D -> Eb -> Eb -> F.
-The run in the bass at the end of bar 9 I'm hearing as Eb Db C Bb Ab G rather than En Eb Dn C Bb Ab.

I think that's everything in terms of notes.  I have got one other suggestion which is to add a little bit of dynamic variety into the piece.  You have a build up from 18-25 which I think personally think would benefit with at least an mp -> f crescendo.

I'll have another look over once you've made some fixes.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Libera on October 02, 2018, 01:34:54 PMSomething that isn't a replacement?  Preposterous!
Blasphemous, I know.

Quote from: Libera on October 02, 2018, 01:34:54 PM-For the melody line in bar 29 I hear G D Eb D (all dotted crotchets).
-There's a glissando in the organ part leading into bar 26.  Might be a thought to put it in?  I think it might make the transition that little bit more flashy.
-The run in the bass at the end of bar 9 I'm hearing as Eb Db C Bb Ab G rather than En Eb Dn C Bb Ab.
Fixed.

Quote from: Libera on October 02, 2018, 01:34:54 PM-I'm hearing the organ line in bars 22-25 a third higher than you've written it.  i.e. D -> Eb -> Eb -> F.
It's probably harmonized a third up, then. Give it a listen & tell me what you think.

Quote from: Libera on October 02, 2018, 01:34:54 PM-There is a guitar part (first heard in the opening bar) that seems to drop in and out of your arrangement.  For example, you have it in the first bar but then you leave it out for the next section (bars 2-9).  I believe it wouldn't be that hard to add in as in most places it has the same rhythm as the bass (you could just leave it out when it doesn't).  In that opening section it seems to play G -> F -> F -> Bb. 
The reason I have the bass doubled an octave up is to try and mimic (or at the very least, account for) the guitar part, since I wasn't sure if I could fit it in or not. When you say G->F->etc., are the notes your suggesting in between the octaves? Cause if so, I'll add them.

Quote from: Libera on October 02, 2018, 01:34:54 PMI think that's everything in terms of notes.  I have got one other suggestion which is to add a little bit of dynamic variety into the piece.  You have a build up from 18-25 which I think personally think would benefit with at least an mp -> f crescendo.
I know, but the original just stays kinda static the entire time, and I'd rather emulate what the original is doing.

Libera

Quote from: Yug_Guy on October 02, 2018, 04:32:34 PMIt's probably harmonized a third up, then. Give it a listen & tell me what you think.
Sounds fine to me.
Quote from: Yug_Guy on October 02, 2018, 04:32:34 PMThe reason I have the bass doubled an octave up is to try and mimic (or at the very least, account for) the guitar part, since I wasn't sure if I could fit it in or not. When you say G->F->etc., are the notes your suggesting in between the octaves? Cause if so, I'll add them. 
It changes notes every two bars there.  Listen out for it and you'll know what I mean.  (And yes you could probably fit those in between the octaves to make sort of power chords).
Quote from: Yug_Guy on October 02, 2018, 04:32:34 PMI know, but the original just stays kinda static the entire time, and I'd rather emulate what the original is doing.
I agree, but in the piece they add in more instruments as it goes which is not something we can really do on a piano.  My thoughts were replicate this with a crescendo, but if you'd prefer to keep it at the same tempo dynamic (tempo!?) then I'll respect that decision.

Also I've noticed that you've got a misaligned note in bar 11 (the C#).  ALSO also for some reasons the ties in bar 6 and 8 seem to disappear during playback.  I have no idea what causes this but since they appear on the pdf this a minor issue.  (Still interested in what's causing it though.)

Good work, this is looking nice.

Edit:  Whoops I hate to edit feedback into a post, but could you also think about the system distribution?  The first page looks pretty cramped and you've got quite a bit of space on the second page.  I'd move one system from the first page to the second and then you can move the title and composer/arranger info down a little.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Libera on October 03, 2018, 11:59:21 AMIt changes notes every two bars there.  Listen out for it and you'll know what I mean.  (And yes you could probably fit those in between the octaves to make sort of power chords)
Discussed over Discord. tl;dr - I'd prefer to keep it the way it is, but if other updaters want me to change it, then I probably will.

Quote from: Libera on October 03, 2018, 11:59:21 AMAlso I've noticed that you've got a misaligned note in bar 11 (the C#).
Fixed

Quote from: Libera on October 03, 2018, 11:59:21 AMALSO also for some reasons the ties in bar 6 and 8 seem to disappear during playback.  I have no idea what causes this but since they appear on the pdf this a minor issue.  (Still interested in what's causing it though.)
I've always had that happen in Finale playback and idk what's causing it. If anyone has any idea, please let me know.

Quote from: Libera on October 03, 2018, 11:59:21 AMEdit:  Whoops I hate to edit feedback into a post, but could you also think about the system distribution?  The first page looks pretty cramped and you've got quite a bit of space on the second page.  I'd move one system from the first page to the second and then you can move the title and composer/arranger info down a little.
lol edit away. Also, fixed.

Libera

I hate to be nitpicky, but on the first page you could decrease the space between systems and move them all down a bit.  At the moment the title and composer etc. are feeling a bit claustrophobic.

Yug_Guy

Libera

Latios212

I think the dotted half in m. 9 should also be an Eb.

I'd also suggest using G# instead of Ab in m. 24.

Other than that, looks great!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Latios212 on November 03, 2018, 10:01:11 AMI think the dotted half in m. 9 should also be an Eb.
I'd also suggest using G# instead of Ab in m. 24.
That's fair. Fixed & updated.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot