Game: Octopath Traveler
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: My Quiet Forest Home
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

Spent a good amount of time working out satisfactory fingerings for this one - normally don't do so but this arrangement leaves little to the imagination.

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Just a couple of things from me on a first look through:

-I'm failing to see the need for the oddly angled hairpin in bars 23-24 as you could easily fit it in flat.
-The whole section bars 25-31 looks very confusing to me.  I think I've worked out what you want, but I also think it'd be a whole lot clearer if you got rid of the cross staffing and just used bottom staff for left hand notes and top staff for right hand notes.  That way you'd avoid all of the cross-staffing and you wouldn't have those dotted lines everywhere.  It'd also get rid of the ties colliding with notes.  (I also think it'd be way easier to understand how to play it that way.)

Also now I have to check all of those fingerings why.  It's actually nice to see fingerings on a sheet and I've been wondering if anyone was going to use them on here.

Latios212

Thanks for looking!

Quote from: Libera on September 21, 2018, 03:46:30 AM-I'm failing to see the need for the oddly angled hairpin in bars 23-24 as you could easily fit it in flat.
I did think about this, and decided on this because keeping it horizontal forces the staves further apart, due to the cresc. having to avoid touching the notes. As a result when trying to keep it horizontal I found that it created an unsightly amount of space between the LH/RH staves for the entire system, and that the beginning and end of the cresc. were still somewhat uncomfortably close to the notes. Also the beginning of it starts off by the left hand, which can't get any louder - it's the run that does and that looked a little confusing.
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
(Oops, looking at that, fixed a wrong finger number.)

Quote from: Libera on September 21, 2018, 03:46:30 AM-The whole section bars 25-31 looks very confusing to me.  I think I've worked out what you want, but I also think it'd be a whole lot clearer if you got rid of the cross staffing and just used bottom staff for left hand notes and top staff for right hand notes.  That way you'd avoid all of the cross-staffing and you wouldn't have those dotted lines everywhere.  It'd also get rid of the ties colliding with notes.  (I also think it'd be way easier to understand how to play it that way.)
I wrote this section like this precisely to keep top staff for RH and bottom staff for LH! The cross staffing is to show where the two hands swap off between voices and particularly to show the continuity of the melody, which is tricky but important to emphasize over the arpeggios. It looks a bit convoluted at first yes, but I believe it will make sense and feel natural once the performer tries it a few times.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on September 21, 2018, 05:03:55 AMI did think about this, and decided on this because keeping it horizontal forces the staves further apart, due to the cresc. having to avoid touching the notes. As a result when trying to keep it horizontal I found that it created an unsightly amount of space between the LH/RH staves for the entire system, and that the beginning and end of the cresc. were still somewhat uncomfortably close to the notes. Also the beginning of it starts off by the left hand, which can't get any louder - it's the run that does and that looked a little confusing.
That seems fair enough, I'll concede the point.
Quote from: Latios212 on September 21, 2018, 05:03:55 AMI wrote this section like this precisely to keep top staff for RH and bottom staff for LH! The cross staffing is to show where the two hands swap off between voices and particularly to show the continuity of the melody, which is tricky but important to emphasize over the arpeggios. It looks a bit convoluted at first yes, but I believe it will make sense and feel natural once the performer tries it a few times.
When I get back to having my keyboard and a printer I'll try it out.  I do think though that the fact that after looking at it for a while I still got the wrong idea might strengthen my argument :P  But I'll see how it feels to actually play through it.

Static

Checked all the notes, checked the notation and finger markings, looks good! I approve.

Brassman388

Eeeeeeeeeeeh, I don't like those two hairpins are placed, but that could just be me.

Any possible solutions???

Latios212

Quote from: Brassman388 on September 26, 2018, 08:35:06 PMEeeeeeeeeeeh, I don't like those two hairpins are placed, but that could just be me.

Any possible solutions???
I'm assuming you mean the first two, in m. 3 and 24? For m. 3 I can move it between the staves but for m. 24 that was the solution I came up with (see above posts).

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

I updated the first one to go between the staves as per discussion.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Brassman388

So we talked about it, examples were shown, words were said, and we have came to a conclusion.

If Chopin can do it, so can we.

This gets a green.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Libera.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot