[DELETED] [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra - "Masked Dedede (Two Pianos)" by Dinos24SP

Started by Zeta, August 11, 2016, 08:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Maelstrom

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 24, 2016, 05:43:57 PMYes, but doable with software. It's the software that's tricky.
Maybe I'm thinking of two trains of thought with this:

Train 1:
There exist people such as KingMeteorStudios who may or may not rip MIDIs by ear. I remember reading on one of KingMeteorStudios's videos that he added an extra countermelody line to one of his MIDIs at one point. (I think it was a Mega Man one.)

Train 2:
There exist software such as the WIDI Recognition System that can rip MIDIs from other types of sound files.
Unfortunately, some such software does a terrible job with unpitched percussion instruments, as heard below with WIDI's bad attempt at ripping a MIDI of C-R-O-W-N-E-D from Kirby's Return to Dream Land:

Maelstrom

Here's another example of how bad mp3 to midi software is terrible and should never be used:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al_upsU5uVw

Tobbeh99

^^

Y, I have Widi. It's not that useful, I only use it sometimes if I'm unsure about certain stuff like chords. I definitely works best with 8-bit music and other simple music, but for those I don't need some software to help me.

I all honesty, transcribing songs work fine for me, using only audacity and audiostretch. The only difficulty is when there's like a very soft strings or harp or other hard-to-hear instrument in the background, those are really a pain to transcribe.
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

dinos24SP

There's a program I found since I found out my MIDI was a fraud that rips MIDIs from .nds ROMs. Here's a link if you want it: https://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/utilities/download-nds-sound-extractor-04-f28818.html

The site looks sketchy but I downloaded it, extracted it, and ran it with no problems (Even ran a virus scan after  :) )

That being said, is there any hope for my sheet? :P

Latios212

Ultimately, a sheet submitted under your name must be your work, and not copied from another source. Sorry. We're always willing to help you with a sheet that IS transcribed by yourself.

Quote from: dinos24SP on August 26, 2016, 06:00:08 PMThat being said, is there any hope for my sheet? :P

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 24, 2016, 01:31:09 PMA general rule(s) of thumb for midis:
Rule number 1: Don't use them as source material. Use them to check what you hear.
Rule number 2: Never trust midis you find online. If you want a midi that badly, rip it from the game yourself so you can be sure of it's accuracy.

edit: And yeah, if someone else did it, you should probably remove it.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Tobbeh99

^^

I agree. But, you could use midis for inspiration or as a shortcut. I've used a lot of midis for my previous arrangements. Usually what I do is to look at the midi, and take the notes and then arrange them for piano. So, it's technically my work as I made the arrangement, and only used the midis for inspiration.

I think that if you'd just edit the sheet more or the less, it'll make it more personal, and therefore more legit.

10/10 tobbeh

JDMEK5

If you really want what I think may be the best course of action, I would suggest redoing it all from scratch properly without any help from what you've done. Obviously you'll remember certain elements and that's fine but then nobody can say that that's someone else's sheet. Also, that's a lot of work and isn't necessarily necessary. If you want to go that far, great; it'll make you a better arranger skillwise. If not, you don't have to I don't think but you'd have to do something (like aforementioned) to make it your own for sure at least.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

FireArrow

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on September 08, 2016, 05:39:05 AM^^

I agree. But, you could use midis for inspiration or as a shortcut. I've used a lot of midis for my previous arrangements. Usually what I do is to look at the midi, and take the notes and then arrange them for piano. So, it's technically my work as I made the arrangement, and only used the midis for inspiration.

I think that if you'd just edit the sheet more or the less, it'll make it more personal, and therefore more legit.

If you ripped the midi yourself, sure. Otherwise no.

You can use other peoples midis to double check or if you're stuck (and you trust the source) but just copying the entire thing and changing it up a bit is akin to adding a moustache to the Mona Lisa and claiming that it's an original work of art.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Yug_Guy

Quote from: FireArrow on September 08, 2016, 04:15:14 PMBut just copying the entire thing and changing it up a bit is akin to adding a moustache to the Mona Lisa and claiming that it's an original work of art.
Well, actually...

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Yug_Guy on September 08, 2016, 04:59:21 PMWell, actually...
The Wikipedia article explains that L.H.O.O.Q. is a parody of a work in the public domain (i.e. the Mona Lisa). Unfortunately, a faithful arrangement of a copyrighted work with no Creative Commons-like rights (such as the Masked Dedede theme) does not apply to L.H.O.O.Q.'s situation.

(According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Marcel_Duchamp_Mona_Lisa_LHOOQ.jpg, L.H.O.O.Q. is itself in the public domain in the USA but not France.)

braix

I'm not an updater or whatever but here's my two cents:
Midis are fine for checking notes/chords for accuracy, but besides that, the arrangement should be made from scratch. Never should you start an arrangement from a midi.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle